SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kosmokitchen

Realtor compensation for private sale

kosmokitchen
8 years ago

I'm about to inherit our family home along with my siblings with the intent to immediately turn around and sell it. A neighbor is interested in making an offer for it and I told her if her offer was fair, we'd sell it to her as opposed to putting in on the market. FWIW, I think I have pretty good comps on the house and have a good feel for what she'd need to offer if we ere to forgo openly marketing the house.

Here's my question: over the past year a local realtor in an unofficial capacity has been helpful in terms of some of the legal issues surrounding the inheritance. (Very long story...) While I plan on using that realtor if we market the house, what would be a fair way of dealing with that realtor if we sold to the neighbor given the help he's provided? I could probably use his assistance if the neighbor transaction comes to fruition, but I also can't see paying him a full commission and the costs have an effect on what I consider a "fair price" from the neighbor. As of now, I have no contract with him and I haven't told him about the potential offer.

Any suggestions on how to compensate him (if at all)?

Comments (27)