SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liv2tell

Help designing front door entry!

liv2tell
8 years ago

This is a small ~1500 square foot home (not counting bonus room above garage.)

To make the most of our space we won't have a separate foyer but I really want to give the appearance of one without being odd or awkward.

In the first image I put up a single wall and the brown rectangle on the right is just a little entry table or shelves.

Obviously in the second image is an open, clean slate.

Thoughts?

PS: This will not be *our* main entrance to the home. That will be through the garage on the other end of the home. This front door will mostly be used by guests.

#1:

#2:

Comments (40)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

It's hard to comment without seeing the full layout of the house and how the front entry works with the rest of the house.

• liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The house faces the north. Sits on the corner of our 10 acre lot. To the east (beside bedrooms) will be some open space and then a good little spot of woods that borders on the next road. To the south is a lot of trees and some farm land (crops, no animals) we lease. We will enter from the west side, that is the only we to access our house (from behind.) Where it faces the north is undeveloped woods across the street.

The overall neighborhood is on a peninsula bordered by river.

• Related Discussions

Help me design a front door and entry for this house, please

Q

Comments (8)
    Ooooh! I love the one AndiK posted. My idea is similar...couldn't find a photo, so I worked it up in my design software. It's just the interior elevation looking toward the door of the ante room so you'll have to imagine being able to see through the glass to your front door. If I find a photo, I'll post it later. I think I recall there being a nice door set up for the ante room in the movie Uncle Buck starring John Candy & McCaulay Culkin. I looked for a photo online of it with no luck, but you could probably rent the movie and check it out first hand. I thought the Home Alone movie house had one, but while they had the ante toom, alas there was no door on it--just a cased doorway. Hope this helps! Keep us posted on what you decide!
    ...See More

I need help with front porch/entry design

Q

Comments (9)
    Honestly? I think the gable adds nothing to the look of the house. In fact it doesn't go with the style of house. I would do as you have in the second plan but have the overhang just go straight across the front. Here's an idea of what I mean.
    ...See More

Front Entry Door - Wrought Iron Help

Q

Comments (15)
    Can the double door - it's a nuisance and both will never be used. Use what your architect designed. I prefer a solid wood door. If properly painted and if there is some shelter from weather, it can last a very long time. The original front door is on my 1948 house and it's still in excellent condition.
    ...See More

Help me design/decorate our front porch entry

Q

Comments (10)
    Maybe a outdoor rug and some metal art on the back wall. Paint a turquoise blue or some brighter color. Or a wreath even if you like them. Like this:https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/pdp/three-posts-4-piece-wall-decor-set-thps3885.html Even if you find something thats more for indoor use a coat of Rust-Oleum spray paint would give it enough protect in that covered area. I would definitely paint the entryway white or some other much lighter color to brighten it up. A colorful pot with dried flowers or pine cutting for fall/winter. You can paint a red clay pot with any acylic indoor or outdoor paint. It weather's off a bit over time and looks "rustic".
    ...See More
  • bpath
    8 years ago

I don't know if this is blasphemous, but could you use the screen porch as your entry? Makes sense, since it's where you'll be coming in anyway and you already have the floor space indoors for it. And it frees up the LR and the bedroom approach. Or, turn the dining table, and add a door between the porch and the living room.

• liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh yes our screen porch is definitely our entry, for sure. I have plans for a little "kick off your shoes" and drop zone. We live in the south and really don't need to accommodate much for cold weather. It gets cold for like, a month or two.

The "front door" is really just there because, well, of course the front of our house needs a door and for whoever does not want to come in through the garage. Like family and friends visiting. I kind of don't want to mess up the (almost) square shape of the living room but I want some kind of faux foyer, ya know?

Oh and I get a lot of UPS deliveries. (Amazon)

• bpath
    8 years ago

Got it. So, I like the wall creating a little entry for the bedroom there. On the right, low built-in that is bookshelves on the LR side, to create a reading nook on that side. Deep enough to maybe have a small lamp on top for evening glow, and something like a tray or bowl for decoration.

• liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok, cool! Thanks for the validation, haha. I was afraid it was weird or like I'm missing some great way of making a tiny entry area without eating into the living room too much.
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Let me understand the way you have this designed. If JC wants to use the bathroom, he/she needs to walk out past the living space to go to the bathroom? And if you don't define the foyer with something your guest will have the same problem?

Frankly, I'd hate to be JC and need to shower while the family or friends of the family were in the living area. And honestly, that's only the first thing I can see with this plan that can use help, including the fact the house will be quite dark.

And the only way for anyone to do laundry is to go into your bedroom to do it?

Why wouldn't you design a simple home that gives most of the rooms light and the feeling of openness?

• liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    No way the house will be dark. I didn't ask for thoughts on just about all of that.

I was expecting much positive or at least constructive feedback from you, anyhow.
  • liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    wasnt*
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

While I didn't offer "constructive" solutions, I did point out what I see as problems, just as many folks did on my threads with my house. Much of the feedback I got from others helped me to refine my house over the past year so that when I build my house in a few months, it will be so much better than what I started out with.

Sometimes the truth is hard to swallow, but if you're willing to listen you might wind up with a better product. It's a hard lesson I learned back in school as a commercial art major.

• liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, you did point out what *you* see as problems. What you see as the truth, if you will. That's ok, it's an internet forum. What works for some, does not for others. JC's room is absolutely perfect for our situation - which you know nothing about. I was asking about the front door.

You're right, feedback can be so helpful! I've gotten some great tips on here in the past, from professionals that know a lot more about architecture and home design. Just not yours. (You seem to have a pattern.) It's not helpful to basically say "I'd hate to be the person living here. Why in the world did you design a house like this???" One of my majors was in art, too. Critiques were part of the educational process. I remember the students like you.

• User
    8 years ago

I'm glad you revealed your mean spirited intolerance for suggestions beyond your original question before I commented because I agree with cpartist and was going to point out some additional deficiencies and offer a solution sketch. Instead, what I will say is that it is not a good design and an entry foyer will not help so you should seek council other than your own and pretend to be grateful for whatever is offered and refrain from making inappropriate personal remarks in order to encourage further free advice.

• omelet
    8 years ago

Ten acres on a peninsula bordered by a river... sounds wonderful! Some of our neighbors have "drop boxes" for package deliveries. The ones they have are very nice looking and might work for your Amazon packages, either by the road near your mailbox or on your front porch.

liv2tell thanked omelet
  • liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

omelet - you are right and those are such good ideas. we live in a small town and our UPS guy insists on knocking on my door and hand delivering my package, though. He's a nice guy and always wants to say hi to my son :)

• liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

JDS - it was a little mean but her meanness took me a little off guard, and not knowing why I made the decisions I have and making assumptions (especially when it comes to my son) struck a nerve. "I'd hate to be JC." I would just delete this post if I could. I am secure in this home and I'm pretty sure I know how I will treat the front door to not feel like you're walking into the couch but internet input, especially on this forum, is usually helpful. I'd rather someone who doesn't like an overall design just say so (or say nothing, no need to respond to every thread) and move on and not make a list of some or all of the things they dislike and basically ask "why didn't you do something totally different?" Like I just picked this out of thin air. This home suits our needs for good reason.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Actually I've gotten worse comments on some of my threads but I understand this is the internet and that words without inflections sounds a lot different. I also understand that even people like Sophie come here with good intentions to try and help with their years of experience.

Despite what you think, my comments were not meant to be mean spirited but were meant to show you that there is a lot deficient with your plan. However it's obvious you're close minded to anything other than your vision. I say that because I also read your other thread that was just brought up from a year ago and I read your thread in the kitchen forum. Your comment on how you don't want any architect telling you how you should design your house was quite revealing. You're looking for a pat on the back mostly to tell you what a wonderful plan it is.

Too bad you have that attitude because it was JDS who was really able to get me to see how to fix my house exterior with a quick drawing he did. If not for him, my exterior would look like a Frankenstein house.

• User
    8 years ago

I was just angling for a compliment. Now, if I could just teach her how to draw...

liv2tell, any house design can be made better which, I had assumed, was why you posted it here. I'm surprised to find that you think the entry is the only issue worth discussing and that you would be so inflexible on that subject so I'll wish you luck and leave you to it.

• Ron Natalie
    8 years ago

Due to odd vagaries in the building ordinance (won't get into that) rather than having our door open direct into the foyer area we had to build a small vestibule and turn the door so it's not actually visible from the street. This actually turns out to be more in line with our FLW-sih exterior details.

• bpath
    8 years ago

I don't know why I didn't see this in your third picture, the little hall you created in front of the bedrooms. Nice. It actually makes the LR bigger because you can use the space all the way to the wall. And really may be all you need for your entry because it defines the living space from the personal space.

Ron brings up an interesting idea. We almost bought a house where a remodel added a lovely vestibule on to the house, transforming it from a drab box to a cool contemporary. I'm not saying yours is a drab box, I'm referring to the original outside look of that house. But, the layout wasn't all that different inside, and it really did completely add to the living space. Could you do that, have a vestibule on the porch, perpendicular to the LR window?

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I don't know why I didn't see this in your third picture, the little hall you created in front of the bedrooms. Nice.

You didn't see it because it wasn't there in the first version she posted. She went back in and changed the picture. Her ORIGINAL picture was why I made my comment above about JC having to walk out into the living space because she originally did NOT have a hallway there. You couldn't have seen what she didn't originally show.

• liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It's funny y'all mention vestibule because yesterday I was actually trying to find examples of doing something like this... Is this what you mean? Or more of an area that pops out into the porch? If we didn't do this initially (budget) I love this idea for a future project.
  • omelet
    8 years ago

liv2tell, it's so nice that the UPS man cares about your family, I can
    understand why you want to welcome him! That's one of the nice things
    about small town life. Not everyone gets that.

I also agree that Ron
    Natalie's idea of the vestibule is very interesting. I like the look of photo you posted, although as you mention, I was originally imagining his idea as taking part of the porch rather than being inside. If it's a future project inside the house, one thing to think about is consider whether you want different flooring in that area.

• liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    To give more of an idea into the living space you would enter, these are a few of my "open flow" inspiration pics. Don't take these literally as there are differences in the houses that hold these spaces but this is the gist of what I'm going for - one long flow of the heart/kitchen, feast, and relax/gather.
  • omelet
    8 years ago

Your inspiration pics are beautiful!

• liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I like the idea of it taking in part of the porch, too. I'm open to either! And I thought I may have a little 5x5ish spot of different flooring at the entrance as well, I like that in a lot of homes.
  • liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    :D I can't wait to furnish and decorate.

And yes, the ups guy-small town friendliness is so nice! When you don't talk to any adults all day the delivery man can be a nice break, haha. My son loves the whole spectacle of packaged or "surprises" as he calls them. Obviously I'm not designing the front door just for a ups guy (haha) but it's a good example that it WILL be used and I don't want it to be an afterthought! It's a first impression opportunity for sure.
  • chicagoans
    8 years ago

I realize you don't want feedback on this, but I'm a bit concerned by your comment that "no way will this house be dark." If I'm reading this right, it looks like in the main part of the house the only areas for windows that aren't covered by porch or facing the garage are at the top of the kitchen wall and a short bit to the left of the fireplace. You might want to consider skylights in the porch roof and/or Solatubes in other areas. (I have Solatubes in two interior bathrooms and they're great.) I realize you might have windows in the dining area and that the garage is 10' away. That 10' might allow for some outside brightness depending on the angle of the sun; I've never had that set up so I don't know. Can you find a set up like that so you can tell what it will be like before you build? Someone once posted a sunlight angle calculator that illustrated it pretty well, but now I can't find it.

The vestibule inspiration pic is very pretty!

• ascorsonelli
    8 years ago

I have similar living space.... front door opens to living room which flows to kitchen. What helped me was REALLY thinking through furniture placement. Your model couch and love seat--are they to scale? Is that where you will place them? Not sure if I really have a point to this thought....

I'm distracted by the idea of stealing from the porch and turning the door. I love the idea!

• doc5md
    8 years ago

I'd rather someone who doesn't like an overall design just say so (or say nothing, no need to respond to every thread)

Truly, this point of view is someone looking for a pat on the back... not feedback. Feedback involves both. I belong to a photography club... At our critiques, no one wanted to hurt anyone's feelings.. so the comments were all "nice picture" or "good job." nothing got better. Now we give real feedback... its hard to give and harder to receive. Guess what... The photographs are getting better... Much better.

Good luck with your project.

• liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Chicagoans - thanks for the feedback! There are actually two windows that aren't parallel to the garage - one on either side of the entertainment area... and then yes, the window next to the dining table. I think one was missing and/or only one was barely showing up on that image above. I feel like I will get some lovely evening sun glow in our living room that is not blocked by the garage. Also, the kitchen windows will be long and the base will meet my countertop - not sure if that changes how you feel about them but when you said "top of the kitchen wall" that made me think of teeny short windows! There are a couple of sun tunnels and one skylight not noted in my floorplanner.com draft above, but I intend to keep them from the original plan. My focus here was/is on room layout, particularly the front door (as you may have read, haha.)

ascorsonelli - totally not how I'm laying out my furniture, ha! it is to scale, and that is the main reason I dropped it in there (at that point a couple days ago) - to get an idea of the space. I LOVE your idea toooo! Stealing from the porch, that's great. And the door faces the direction someone will be coming from. Thank you!

doc5md - your photography club did sound drab at first! (ETA when I re-read your comment:) I really enjoyed my photography courses and critiques. My professor was so hard on me about some things like zooming in too much on a subject (not giving him the "whole picture" of what was going on) or my print quality (dark room was not so easy for me - I'm a digital girl.) He was also a kind man and saw something special and interesting in every photo.(end ETA) I remember some intense critiques while working on my bachelors, as well as some heated meetings with my colleagues and superiors at my first "real world" corporate job where my pixel perfect designs were put on blast on a projector in a room full of people with years of experience on me. It hurt sometimes, they were right sometimes, and they were wrong sometimes. But when someone there is that "negative nancy"... well, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Maybe it's a southern thing, but we're nice, even when we're criticizing. Most of us are anyway. Thank you for the good luck! I can see where I seemed like sour puss just looking for praise when you took my words out of context like that.

• omelet
    8 years ago

Not wanting to put up with rude comments is really not at all the same thing as wanting a pat on the back, I don't understand that perception at all. It is certainly possible to give constructive criticism and be kind and supportive at the same time! Many posters on GW (both laypersons and professionals) are very good at that and my guess is those people are probably truly nice people, the kind of people you would be happy to know in the real (non-internet) world.

I like ascorsonelli's drawing, the porch/vestibule idea seems like an interesting path especially if that's the way people will be facing the door.

• betttyloo
    8 years ago

"Not wanting to put up with rude comments is really not at all the same thing as wanting a pat on the back"

well said, Omelet.

• User
    8 years ago

Since access to the space above the garage is by a stairway instead of a pull down ladder, you must convince the building official that the space above cannot be habitable now or in the future because an exit path is not allowed to travel through a garage. Alternatively, the stair could be enclosed so it is separated from the garage space.

I believe this plan could be very good, perhaps even looking like the inspiration photos if the gross floor area increased by 120 s.f.

If you wanted to be able to add on to the house in the future without losing space already built, that would add a bit more floor area too but it that is the case I would change the configuration of the entire house.

• liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was thinking of exterior stairs to access the bonus space, as well - something like what you see here:

Would that change your thoughts on the exit path issue? I also did toy with the idea of the stairs being accessible from "inside" the home (how I have no idea) but also like the feeling of separation. I think I could go either way and still love it. (The bonus space will be mine and my husbands offices/studios. It is hard for me to focus on non-domestic work if I'm surrounded by potential laundry, my kitchen, etc.)

I was aiming for a 1700 sq ft home and I think we could afford it, but when I reached this point and I was happy with it - I thought, well, it will cost less and I think it will suffice. But I am interested in what/where you would increase size?

I don't foresee us adding on more structure to what we build now, but my husband likes the option of converting the garage into livable space one day if we decide to.

This my floor plan currently. Not sure much has changed. I am just playing with furniture placement so none of that is set in stone. I haven't added ascorsonelli's porch/front door suggestion yet as I am about to have company from out of town today and probably won't work on this again until late tonight or tomorrow. And I'm sure the water heater may need to be moved, I just put it there to note that I want it in the garage.

We meet with our builder SATURDAY! :D

• liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Updated. I need to go to bed.

Bedroom, foyer, and porch changes. New square footage almost 1600. Just realized the porch facing living room windows need to bump to the right. I realized the water heater probably can't go in the garage (?) but now I lost my linen closet. I don't keep more than one extra pair of sheets for each bed, and I think storing towels in each bathroom vanity will be fine...

• User
    8 years ago

IMO the LR is too large; the TV is too far away; the kitchen is too small; no matter how few people use the front entrance it will not make them feel welcome and the circulation from one half of the house to the other half must pass through a 3 ft opening and down a hallway too narrow for an ambulance gurney. This is no doubt the result of trying to save space so it can be put in the living room but that has led to the above space imbalances. The LR desperately needs a baby grand piano. A small house must be carefully tuned with no space larger then needed and plenty of shared space for easy movement, long sight lines and reasonable privacy.

Here is a plan that adds about 160 s.f. to the house but creates some spacial balance. The entry foyer creates a sense of arrival and welcome (for future buyers if no one else) and includes storage and a long wall for well lighted family photographs. The living space is balanced between the and open Kitchen, Dining Area and Living Room allowing family members to be in all three and still feel connected. The TV viewing distance is more appropriate and the TV could be larger if the Fireplace is not wanted.

I don't know what you would like for the facade but I would push the bedrooms and garage back, use a traditional front facing gable with a full width wrap around porch with oversized classical columns or tapered posts..

• liv2tell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for that, I like your ideas. That hallway and entry into the hall definitely needed widening, I had realized that. My son was in a wheelchair for a little while, and it definitely change my perspective on the world. It's very hard for someone in a wheelchair to access everything we get to, but it shouldn't have to be that way. I originally didn't use a wall for a hallway kind of in a way because of that, but when I did try it just to see - I realized how much giving the living room a wall actually added function rather than taking away some space.

We won't have a fireplace, and although I've heard some negative feedback about that it's just what we want and this is our house after all. We will never use it and I don't want to deal with it. I am seriously only cold about 6 weeks out of the entire year.

So with that - the foyer you created loses some coolness, ya know? The closets wouldn't make as much sense and we can't afford custom built-ins or anything like that... I could get creative with furniture in place of the fireplace. I do like it, it reminds me of a friend's house I used to visit when I was a kid.

I agree it's a big living room! I certainly don't intend for it to only be a tv room, though. I was placing furniture to start getting and idea of layout but nothing is final there. There will be multiple "zones" or functions in that great room - one definitely being a play/create area for my son. Also, having some space for him to literally run around is something I cannot wait to see. Add a couple of dogs and cats and any possible future children and the room may actually start to feel too small!

Anyway, with all that said I am going to think on your suggestions for space distribution and I think my husband will also be interested in this. Where would you put the water heater? Oh and that kitchen, it seems so big! I am not THAT good of a cook, lol. I have actually started wondering if the my version of the kitchen was too big, haha!

• User
    8 years ago

I don't know enough about you or your family for this to be a complete design but i hope it is the beginning of a more professional approach to the design of your house.

The fireplace can be removed and a TV installed in its place perhaps in a cabinet. The kitchen can be made smaller or part of it can have a lower counter for a home workspace. Many of my clients keep a computer and records there.

liv2tell thanked User
  • bpath
    8 years ago

Love the little "core" created by the bathroom. I love being able to "circulate" in a house.

Do you not need hall closets? I can see removing one of them, either to widen the opening to the LR, or to add an opening near the front door. I'd prefer the former. Or, perhaps you'd like one, and move the rest of the wall towards the hall for a bigger LR. (Or, put the water heater in one...)