SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forshoppingonline

My brain is hurting! Please help with my cabinet layout!

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm starting to plan my cabinet layout and finding it to be an extremely daunting task! I'm going to need lots of guidance from all you GWers! I started by mapping out the overall dimensions of the cabinet boxes.

The only kitchen design software I know how to use is IKEA's. I'll be getting my cabinets custom made and IKEA doesn't allow for customization so I created some "digital graph paper" using Excel. I came up with this "map" of the cabinets (this is the front view and each square represents 1"):

More information about my map:

• The measurements on the far right show the heights
  • The measurements on the rest of the drawing show the widths
  • The total length of this wall is 16'1"
  • My counters and base cabinets will be 30" deep
  • Not sure yet what depth the wall cabinets will be - anywhere from 14" to 18"
  • I added in an extra 1" to the DW cabinet because there will be trim on an adjacent door frame that the DW door will run into if it's installed flush against that wall.
  • I believe my cabinets will have plywood frames with 5/8" thick sides (haven't discussed this with cabinet maker yet)
  • Brown = cabinets
  • Grey = wall/backsplash
  • Yellow = baseboard radiator. It cannot be moved and protrudes several inches underneath the cabinets so any drawers or doors there won't be able to fully open. The best solution I could come up with is to put open shelving there.
  • I also put open shelving on top because there are bay windows adjacent to this wall. I don't want to block too much light from the windows.
  • I attempted to maintain as much symmetry as possible by sizing the wall cabinets to balance each other and to look more balanced over the base cabinets.

Below are 3D drawings of this kitchen. The layout and dimensions aren't exact and don't match the map above (e.g. wall cabinets are not as wide as they should be and I wasn't able to put in the open shelving on the far right). But this gives you an idea of how it will generally look:

I haven't mapped out the fridge wall yet. I wanted to start with the sink/range wall because it's longer and more complicated.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this layout!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio