SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gozalyn_gw

New to GW - please help with my kitchen layout

gozalyn
16 years ago

Hi everybody! I've just started reading through the posts and I've already learned so much! It's helped me get through my 8 month old daughter's naptime. I've gotten into the bad habit of needing to hold her in order for her to sleep, so I can't really do much except read GW posts!

A little bit about our house and needs. It's a 2 bd/1ba, 1400 sq ft home with a 9 x 12 kitchen. We don't have the funds to remove walls at this time, but maybe in the future, we can take over the space that is currently our covered patio and then we can put a peninsula along that adjoining wall with some stools in the dining room area. In the meantime, I was thinking of building a *small* banquette in the kitchen corner.

I'm considering getting Thomasville Plaza Arch cabinets with the Palomino Glaze (it's a free upgrade). We have a couple arches in the Dining and Living rooms, so I think it'll tie in well. We're undecided on plywood construction, but definitely want full-extension, soft close drawers. We already have a dual-fuel Jenn-Air stove and a cabinet-depth fridge. We are looking to purchase the Whirlpool Velos and Bosch integra dishwasher and want to install panels on the DW and fridge to give it a cleaner look to the kitchen, since it is small.

Here are some pics of the kitchen when we moved in and also a draft of the layout. I've scanned in a pic and tried to note the dimensions of things. It's basically the same layout that we have now, with a few key improvements:

1) The existing base cabinets are only 18" deep along the stove wall and 21" deep along the sink wall. We can't move the door to the family room, so we'll have to stick with a reduced depth base cabinet there. We're looking forward to more counterspace.

2) The distance between the base and wall cabinets is currently only 12". We can't fit ANY appliances on the counter and there's no undercabinet lighting. It's miserable to get anything done.

3) We're adding a dishwasher. Yay! We're SO tired of washing dishes. There are other things we'd rather do.

Please let me know your thoughts. I truly value your opinions.

Link to original house photos and draft layout: (forgot to note on the drawing that we plan on storing baking pans in the 12" base cabinet to the left of the stove)

Kitchen

Comments (28)