SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbobul

Trying Container Corn, are coffee grinds the answer?

dbobul
8 years ago

So I am a semi brown thumb. But workin on that.

I came across this variation on corn that is advertised as being able to be grown in a container. After some research into the task, Ive found that most people who claimed to have good results with this type of corn claimed that higher nitogen levels seemed to be the answer.

I work in food service, so table scraps are easy to come by. Including coffee grinds. In fact when I asked for someone to save them for me, to my surprise I was given a 5 gallon bucket heaping with them. Just one days worth.

So I was planning on growing this corn in buckets like the ones found at Home Depot (Homer pail). I was going to add a generous dose of the coffee grinds and mix it all together before putting the soil and coffee grinds and compost mixture into the pail. Is there a rule of thumb for about how much would be to much when it comes to the coffee grinds?

And on a side note, does anyone feel that painting the buckets a darker color for light absorption would be beneficial as well? The buckets are currently all white food service grade buckets.

Comments (10)