SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pj20ten

"Semi-custom" Cabinets - MDF / Plywood dilemma, conflicting advice

Mark D
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Morning all... so we are in the beginning stages of our kitchen remodel and been looking at cabinetry. Most likely going with a white/off-white color, not stain. After some initial research, we were sure we wanted 3/4" plywood cabinets, but after visiting a few local cabinet/kitchen stores, we have heard some conflicting information regarding build quality. The stores we went to had both wood/plywood and MDF cabinets. Both stores stated, that despite what people think, the MDF are actually stronger, will hold up better, and a better value. They did mention that I will need to keep a stable temperature environment. Now I'm up in the NE, but in winter time we have heat on and summer the AC, so it's "stable" in my opinion. They stated that the plywood could warp and the MDF have protective coatings on the box/doors to prevent the warping / cracking of the painted or applied color. I also asked specifically about the shelving and if after time it would "bend" and I was advised it would hold up better than plywood. I also asked about water damage, and was advised that the material is sealed and there is a banding or coating on it for protection. Now if the stores ONLY sold MDF cabinets then I would be a little skeptical, but they didn't and the MDFs were the mid-range priced cabinets. I should mention we are not looking to go overboard on a kitchen, like many a solid, well made cabinet, mid-range price, is what we are looking for. Aside from construction, we are of course getting full extension, soft close doors, frame-less boxes. Some of the brands we looked at were Ultracraft, Luxor, Kitchen Magic (which will probably be out of our budget). Hoping some of you folks could lend some opinions. Maybe some professionals, but also homeowners that faced this very same dilemma. Specifically, the professionals that sell both what to specifically ask about the MDF to get a legit response regarding the comparison. I want to do it right and only once* (* within a reasonable budget) :)

Comments (17)