SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
share_oh

Post Office Mangled My Etsy Package...

share_oh
8 years ago

I ordered a metal keychain from a seller who imprinted it with the date of the first date with my husband and the GPS coordinates of the restaurant we went to. Our first date anniversary is later this month. I was so excited to find a unique gift to surprise him with, and ahead of schedule so I wasn't scrambling to think of something.

It arrived the other day, in a baggie with an apology note from the Post Office saying it got damaged during postal handling. I opened it up and hoped that since it was made of metal it would be ok.

Well the item inside actually was fine... only it wasn't my keychain! It was a pair of earrings with little snowmen and snowflakes on them. So cute, but not something I can give to my husband for an anniversary gift.

So I contacted the Etsy seller and told her the package was damaged but also that she sent me the wrong item. Turns out she doesn't make earrings! I sent her a picture and she had never seen them before.

Apparently my package wasn't the only one damaged at the time and someone must have tried to guess what went in which package. And guessed wrong unfortunately. Now I'm not sure what to do. The paperwork says to contact my local post office so they can initiate a mail recovery search on my behalf. I've been trying to call all morning and their phone # is constantly busy.

I figure since it wasn't an insured item they won't reimburse me. The keychain with shipping was $23 so it's not a huge loss but if I want another one it would end up costing me $46 and it's definitely not worth that.

I'm just bummed about my little gift being lost. Anyone ever have their lost merchandise actually found?

Comments (19)