SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesfleursjolies

Please Share Your 5 Best Rose Bush Pics from Last Year!

KarenPA_6b
8 years ago

After Sara-Ann's encouraging post and with spring around the corner, let's take a look at our 5 or more best performing rose bushes from last year. It would be nice to see each other's beautiful rose bushes from last year before a new growing season begins.

For me, I don't think that I had a nice rose bush from a hybrid tea last year. The best ones for me were DA roses or DA offspring roses. I would so love to see nice rose bushes from hybrid teas from anyone who has some to share.

Comments (56)

• User
    8 years ago

Karen....thank you... that's 'Bonica', one of my favourite shrub roses...

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    8 years ago

Lovely Lady of Shallot Hope mine can bloom like your this spring. Last year I had the large curled rose slugs feasting on her buds. Took a while to catch them all.Your photo of Bolero is good news for me. Thanks for sharing the photo. I've got one coming in spring.

There's that beyond tempting Royal Jubilee again. I'm beginning to wonder if this one will grow own root.

Heavens to Betsy, Marlorena I need another single white like I need a hole in my head. I must adore singles as Kew Gardens is melting my heart. It must join the kids in the white gardens. Is she a good bloomer by chance?

• Related Discussions

Removing a rose bush all the way from root - pic

Q

Comments (6)
    Welllllll . . . " . . . Healthy roots" would realistically be roots that are not infected with Rose Mosaic Virus. Unless Sonalia has evidence to the contrary, I'd assume this to be either virused rootstock, OR re-growth of a rose she planted, and that didn't thrive in her conditions. The EASY way to get rid of it would be to paint the stuff with Roundup. But geeze, the stuff goes right down into the roots ... I'd avoid it unless I was truly desperate. Jeri
    ...See More

What was your best 1st year rose this year?

Q

Comments (42)
    I am soooo confused. Exactly what is a sport? A sport is a spontaneous genetic mutation that has some quality distinctively different from the original. For example, someone in Chicago spotted a flower on their 'Peace' rose that was dramatically different in color than the original--that person rooted that bit of the plant, named the variant 'Chicago Peace' and it is in commerce today. Another mutation besides flower color would be growth habit--an example of a climbing sport would be 'Climbing Peace', which has the same flowers as the original 'Peace', but which has longer, "climbing" canes.
    ...See More

Last day of June......share your favorite June pics...

Q

Comments (21)
    June is such a beauty right from spring to fall. All her offspring are great too. My first June and I see I have to remove part that has reverted back to the parent Halcyon. She was moved once and may have to find more space for it next season and move her or Fluted Fountain June # 2.... Just because I liked June after a good watering. Love the wet look
    ...See More

last year's rose bushes

Q

Comments (11)
    I suggest you support your local nursery, they are the best source of gardening information relevant to your area and growing needs. There's a very thin profit margin when running an independent nursery, and it's difficult to compete against the low prices of big national chains like Home Depot and Walmart. Look at the plants, the canes should be turgid, thick, & healthy, about the diameter of a pencil to the thickness of your thumb or bigger. There should be more than three, and arranged in an open vase shape as much as possible. If there are leaves, awesome. If there are no leaves but the canes are green that's great, if they are brown, scrape some of the skin off to see if there is a green layer of living tissue underneath. If the canes are wrinkled, black, or snap like a dry toothpick, that means the branch is dead. Bareroot roses are field grown plants that are dug up, then cut down by 2/3 on top to about 8 inches, and then their long roots are equivalently chopped down as well. Old plants are better than new because they had an opportunity to regrow new roots. Their maturity improves the shape of the flowers. If the plant looks good and is potted up in a #5 gallon plastic pot offer him $15 per plant. If the plant is alive but looks scraggly offer $10. At reputable independent nurseries, new bareroot roses potted up in #5 cans sell anywhere between $20-$40 each.
    ...See More
    8 years ago

I'm sorry Sam, I got your lovely rose photo mixed up with marlorena's. Beautiful job at growing them.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Everyone's roses are gorgeous!

TIFFANY

DUBLIN BAY

BEWITCHED

ZEPHIRINE DROUHIN

ALOHA

LIEBESZAUBER

SUNSPRITE

LOVE SONG

FORGOTTEN DREAMS

PEACE

KarenPA_6b thanked Sara-Ann Z6B OK
  • Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

PINK PEACE

BELINDA'S DREAM with SUNSPRITE

BIG MOMMA

AMERICA

KarenPA_6b thanked Sara-Ann Z6B OK
  • User
    8 years ago

Patty W...

...hi Patty, you asked about 'Kew Gardens'... I'm just catching up with this fast moving thread, such great photos from everyone...

'Kew Gardens' is one of my favourite roses, top 5 material, I just think it's a fantastic rose for anyone that's looking for a single of that colour.... it's a non stop bloomer, from mid May to January, and I mean non stop...it's totally thornless... and not a hint of disease on the foliage, although I do get a strange mottling on the canes, lots of dark spots the whole length, which some might think detrimental, but it doesn't bother me and it doesn't appear to bother the rose at all... and I really only notice this during the barebones time in winter...

...my plant is 6 x 6 foot, and look at this lovely Spring foliage, photo 26th April '15...

KarenPA_6b thanked User
    8 years ago

As auctioneer yells SOLD to the lady from Illinois. Thank you very much Marlorena. Just the description needed to send the rose addict searching for the credit card.

• User
    8 years ago

..I'm delighted Patty, hope you like it as much as I do.... Austin's should send me a tip.... fat chance...

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    8 years ago

Beautiful beautiful roses y'all!!!

8 years ago

These are lovely photos everyone. Show some more odds and ends tomorrow. Getting tired here.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Lovely roses everyone!!! And Patty - you're so funny!!! Love it!!

I am beyond stunned at these gorgeous rose bushes!! Sara-Ann - I was so impressed by your Belinda's Dream!! I'm so glad I'm getting that one!

Let's see if I can find some nice bush pictures. Five best performing bushes from this year....

1. Fragrant Cloud

2. Night Owl - it's hard to find a bush shot of this, even though it blooms up and down the bush.

3. Grande Dame - I don't have a picture of the whole bush - this is just a part of it.

This isn't a great picture, but it shows Night Owl and Grande Dame better. Night Owl is in the back left and Grande Dame is on the right back.

4. Valencia

5. Peter Mayle

I also wanted to put Chicago Peace in there, but couldn't find a good bush shot.

Carol

KarenPA_6b thanked rosecanadian
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    8 years ago

Well, I'm cheating a bit by posting six, but I couldn't decide which to leave out. I don't have many good pics of "the whole rose", but here's what I found. All roses pictured were planted own-root in 2013, and pics were taken during the first flush in late May 2015.

The pink here is Souvenir de Victor Landeau, and the yellow is Golden Celebration. Peeking in from the right is Botzaris draping over the log edging.

This is Bermuda Spice -- or rather, what was left after cutting off Winter damage last Spring. It was reduced to about the same size the year before, but by the end of each year, reached about 5' by 5'. After this milder Winter, it will be starting the season at about 3' by 3'.

Here's Marie Pavie in the front yard -- my first rose of the season to bloom last year and the year before.

This is Honorine de Brabant, which I gently pegged a bit last Spring. After the first flush, it shot up to over 6' tall. I left it rather big this Spring, intending to cut it back again after the first flush.

Here's Clotilde Soupert, which had many flushes over the season. When it cooled down in late Summer and Autumn, there was more pink in the center. The rest of the time it was near-white.

And finally, here's Abraham Darby, with a few blooms of Nouveau Monde ICA and a clematis in the background. I decided to only lightly shape it this year, leaving cane to cut again after the first flush.

:-)

~Christopher

KarenPA_6b thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
    8 years ago

I just started my garden this past summer. Here are two of the ten roses I have.

Queen of Sweeden about two months after planted from bare root.

Love & Peace just planted after picking up from the nursery

I'm so excited to see how everything does this spring!

KarenPA_6b thanked reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
  • fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

Hmmm only five..... Decisions decisions

Happy Child in spring

MIP in Spring

Granada's third flush in early summer

Marie Pavie in late Spring in a pot

Memorial Day

KarenPA_6b thanked fragrancenutter
  • KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh Wowee! Just gorgeous Chris and Fragrancenutter. Love that Abraham Darby and the rustic feel of your garden, Chris! What a beautiful combo of roses and clematis that you have. Both you and Fragrancenutter have rose bushes that are to die for. Fragrancenutter, your rose bushes just blow me away! They look like roses on steroids. Can't believe you get that much bloom from a rose grown in a pot. Just incredible! Can I ask how old are your Happy Child and Memorial Day?

Reesepbuttercup, those are awesome roses. I am sure you will get spectacular display this spring after they become more settled in. Good luck!

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

Thanks Karen, at the time the photos were taken, the Happy Child was 12 months old and Memorial Day was 18 months old. These roses get plenty of sun and heat and fortuniana rootstock do provide exceptional vigour.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

Everyone's roses are beautiful! Carol, love your Grande Dame, Fragrant Cloud and Valencia, but every time I see Peter Mayle I wish I had it, so lovely! Christopher, all of your roses look great, Abe Darby is gorgeous! Reese, your roses are looking good! Fragrance, your roses are gorgeous! I am in awe of that many beautiful blooms at once!

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am so sorry Carol but somehow, I missed your post last night. Oh my, I don't how you grow such beautiful bushes in pots. That is a skill that still keeps eluding me. Love your Valencia and Grande Dame and Peter Mayle. You have some of the best smelling roses! I can envision you walking around the pots checking the blooms and smelling the roses. :)

8 years ago

Karen and Sara you guys open the flood gates or we're starved for beauty. The talk of an early spring that may actually stay has me excited for sure. However if that Bermuda high gets established it usually means big water bills this summer.

Christopher your new garden has filled in and is luscious. Wish I could grow your roses. (sigh). I'm pleased however with the roses that do well here.

Carol boy do I admire your fortitude. Most likely you end up doing more work than most of us to grow your beautiful roses. They really look good. The three month outlook has Canada well above average in temps. Tune up that air conditioner.

reesepbuttercup whew hope I spelled that right. Yay, another rose gardener. Thank you so much for sharing your photos. They are gorgeous! Seems the anticipation can be as great as the rose season itself. Wonder if thats the same feeling that sends gamblers off to Vegas and Reno.

Fracgrancenutter. Do you have a quest house for your rosey friends. Hint Hint With availability when those roses are in full bloom. Just plain gorgeous!

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago

Wow! Fragrancenutter, what is MIP? Must Immediately Purchase comes to mind.

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Mme Isaac Pereire, jasminerose.

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

Beautiful roses everybody! It's funny, I don't often take full bush shots. I tend to do close-ups. But I did find a few...

Well... almost full shot... BERYL BACH. She's a huge one. 7ft x 3ft.

MORGENGRUS CL - most of it anyway... That arbor it's on is about 7ft tall and it's quite a bit over it.

This is NICOLE, which got moved during the septic re-do. She really got happy once she was moved.

This is my smaller RED INTUITION.

RING OF FIRE mini

KarenPA_6b thanked bethnorcal9
  • boncrow66
    8 years ago

Beautiful pics of everyone's roses! I will have to take some full shots of my roses when they bloom this spring.

Oldrosarian your Piroutte is to die for gorgeous, definitely swoon worthy.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Yes!! Piroutte is fabulous!!! Wow!!

But so is Beth's Red Intuition!!! Wowzers!!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, and for all the beauty everyone of you has shared!! Bring on more!!

Carol

8 years ago

I've looked up these latest beauty. Beth your roses are so gorgeous. Its fun to have some rose people here with lots of roses. They have the hands on experience thats extremely helpful.

I looked up Pirouette as soon as I saw it. Great photo oldrosarian but it doesn't appear available anywhere right now. But it is on the search for list for 2017. Thou Palatine has as hardy only to 5b and their pretty darn good with those hardiness zones. Might be very little planting space left after this year. Maybe room for a few true minis and short perennials.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Agree with Carol. Piroutte and Red Intuition look amazing! They are both equally stunning in different ways.

• User
    8 years ago

Nothing fancy or exotic about this rose bush but it is a work horse....keeps me in blooms all summer long. Double Delight!

Of course, you have to keep an eye out for munchkins in the garden!

also enough blooms for my neighbors and me

KarenPA_6b thanked User
    8 years ago

Wow look at all the flowers on that rose. Beautiful rose Barbara.

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

That is one generous DD! Just beautiful! I love this rose! Well done Barbara!

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

Wow, that's some rose bush! Looks great!

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    8 years ago

Wow is right. All of your roses are just stunning everyone.

Christopher, I love those pics of your garden. It is really beautiful how it turns out especially having seen your garden from last year in different stages.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh my goodness, Barbara! What a great Double Delight! My DD in the ground has never performed that well for me. It bloomed but certainly not that profusion of blooms. Wow! I love all the photos in this thread. It really enlightens me to the potential of a rose to perform when it is planted & grown in a favorable environment.

8 years ago

Before showing a few more I'll say that as much as I love singles and semi doubles. I also adore big full petaled blooms. Until recently finding one that was disease resistant and could survive the winters here were few at best. This past season and this spring I've added many of these from Kordes. Wish me luck.

Here is Easy Does It a very good rose here. Last summer she began to look rather poor. Took me a while to find it. The poor dear had come down with crown gall. Have a new one coming in spring.

This is White Out she's so good for me I have six of them now. Here is one of the new ones.

Lemon Fizz is quickly become a favorite. Only had it for 2 years but its been a clean foliaged excellent bloomer.

and again later

Julia Child a very good rose. Absolutely a favorite. I moved my established JC back into the yard last spring. Praying she recovers and added a few more. This is one of the babies.

KarenPA_6b thanked Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
  • User
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone. I really, really like this thread. So glad to see your lovely pictures.

So often we only see the close-up picture, but to see the whole bush gives us a new understanding of what the rose really is like. And to see the growers garden is just an extra treat! I hope more people add to this thread. I didn't have five bush shots so just used the one that I had that I liked.

KarenPA_6b thanked User
  • KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone for posting your gorgeous pics of roses. Wish you a wonderful coming growing season and may we all be blessed with an abundance of beautiful blooms.

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

Gorgeous roses everyone!

For anyone who is looking at this and wondering why their roses don't look as big and healthy and full of blooms, make sure you look at the poster's zone and location before you beat yourself up. For years I wondered why mine were so puny in comparison to the ones I saw on here. Then it finally dawned on me. I live in Michigan not California, duh! If you live in a cold climate that necessitates your pruning them down very low every spring and your season is only 3 or 4 months long you can not expect them to look like the roses that grow in the warm zones with very long seasons. Just ain't gonna happen!

Here are some of my better plant shots from last season.

First year climber, Above All

Flower Carpet Appleblossom

Polyantha Blanche Neige

Eyeconic Pink Lemonade

Home Run

Julia Child

Love Song

Moonstone

Neil Diamond

Polyantha Verdun

KarenPA_6b thanked seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

Oh how right you are Seil. The energy that they spend each year to grow from the ground back up again. Well, it's amazing they can still be so beautiful. Yet never quite as good as a rose from a warm climate.

I can still remember my early years with my Austin roses frustrated as all get out. I forever had octopus canes laying on the ground. Poor dears never had a chance to build any cane hold them selfs up. Slowly but surely I did finely begin to choose roses that do perform well here. But it was a bit of a costly journey.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Seil - I've never really liked any of the Eyconic series - but yours has made me a believer! How gorgeous!!! Of course, Julia looks fantastic as usual!! :) I also really like your Verdun!!

Carol

8 years ago

Heere another favorite Flower Girl this one I got from Amity's Roses back when they were an all own root nursery. I've it for 12 years or more. In all that time she has never had a spot or mildew also apparently immune to anthracnose. She is normally a bit more upright I gave her too much nitrogen last year. Also spent to much time growing rather than flowering as much as normal. Won't do that again.

Next to her is one of several gladiolus that I have had nearly as long. This is it's third time moved. Moved it right before our first wretched polar vortex winter and it lived. These are summer glads that should not be even close to hardy, I never dig them up to store them. They always come back even when the ground freezes below the bulb. Trust me here as it turns out glads have an amazing survival skill. I dug a clump a few years ago as it wasn't performing like it should. Well it was a giant stack of bulbs. When the bulb froze it would grow a new one on top so there was always the top couple still producing green leaves. Maybe glads always grow this way I don't know. All I need to do is take off the top bulb and replant about 8 inches deep and its starts the whole again. It was a stack of ten bulbs. One for each year it was planted. Sorry that was so long especially if you don't like glads.

8 years ago

Seil if you see this may I ask what the yellow flower is that you have growing with Julia Child. Thats a gorgeous combination.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

Patty and Seil, both of you have some very lovely and healthy roses! I'm excited to see what my Easy Does it looks like, new this year, love the color and White Out looks amazing! Moonstone is one gorgeous rose and I love the polyanthas too. They all look great!

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Love all your rose bushes, Seil but I am so enamored by your JC, Lovesong, and Eyeconic Lemonade. Wow, those really make beautiful shrubs. I made the same mistake about the zone difference. Two years ago, I was thinking of growing climbing roses up a tree that I have after seeing beautiful pics of roses growing up a tree. A nice GW poster saw the error of my ways and pointed out to me that I would not be able to do that because my zone winter is too cold.

8 years ago

Thank you so much Sara, for what it worth if you have not planted it yet she grows very well in 5 to 6 hours of sun.

Karen there are very vigorous type 3 clematis that well up in your tree. Not as far as a giant rose but they do pretty well.

KarenPA_6b thanked Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
  • KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Patty, I think those yellow flowers growing next to Seil's JC is dahlias. I don't know the cultivar names but they definitely go nicely with JC.

Sara-Ann, I was going over the thread again admiring the rose pics everyone had posted and I found that my post regarding your roses was missing. Was probably drooling over your roses and forgot to hit Submit after I finished the post. LOL

Just want to let your know that your Aloha, Pink Peace, and the combo of Belinda's Dream and Sunsprite are just spectacular. Love all your roses but those ones really blew me away.

8 years ago

Thank you Karen, they do indeed look nice together.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Bush-shots in 6 hrs sun: own-root Liv tyler likes my dense & alkaline clay

Own-root Gruss an Teplitz, total neglect for the past 9 years. It likes hot & dry, very hardy in zone 5a.

Own-root Princess Charlene de Monaco blooms in cluster, survives four zone 5 winters.

9th-year own root Crown Princess Mag blooms well in less than 5 hrs. of sun:

3rd year own-root Princess Anne is very shade-tolerant, in 4 hours of morning sun:

9th-year own-root Barcelona is a cutie-pie, like a mini-rose. Super fragrant.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Straw - I love your PCdM soooo much!!! Your Liv Tyler is also a stunner!!! Of course, they all are...but those two are IMHO a step above. :) :)

• rosesmi5a
    2 years ago

I am inspired by so many healthy good-sized rose plants from colder zones! Seil, your Julia Child in particular looks quite content in its Michigan garden!