SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
popeda

Need help starting new shrub/flower beds near San Marcos

popeda
8 years ago

We live on solid rock with a little dusting of soil. Last spring and summer we inherited a lot of pots and decided to plant a number of things in them; unhappy with our results, we are making new front flower beds across our front porch, about 44' and 27" wide. We are using affordable cross ties to create the beds (not my choice, but not mine to make). We put down a couple of layers of cardboard on the bottom. Should we make a layer of rocks next to help drainage? I see mixed advice online about that. Next we will be buying dirt, and quite a bit of it. What would you recommend? I am thinking Dillo dirt from Gardenville. Opinions on that? Recommendations to tell the dirt truck guys? My DH thinks it will take about a truckload of dirt, so we want to get something good.

What should we work into the dirt as the next step? And we will finish up with mulch. We have not decided what plants we will feed to the deer (lots in our yard day and night) or the katydids. We have had some success in this area(but not this location), with sage, rosemary, lavender, oleander, lantana, etc. The pots with copper canyon daisy and salvias didn't make it through summer. The only water source we have is rainwater, but we did try to water well every day or two. We hope to get some kind of faux irrigation set up for these beds. All help appreciated. It's going to cost $$ and take a lot of DH's labor, so we want to plan something that will have a good outcome.

Comments (9)