SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crushedpurple

Need help with selecting flowers for flower bed

crushedpurple
7 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a first time home owner who is trying to figure out what do with the front yard. I've attached a pic of what it looked like last year. I'm not a big fan of what's planted there right now except for the rose of sharon. The plants seem to be randomly planted without much thought.

I want to first remove all the mulch and landscape fabric that's there. I also want to remove most of the plants except for the rose of sharon (the hostas I want to move to the backyard where it's more shaded).

My thought is to plant various annuals and/or wildflower - all sorts of different colours, sizes, etc. (something like pic below).

Is this a good idea? What would your recommend? I'm in Ontario - zone 5b. The house is east facing and gets full-partial sun most of the day. In terms of rainfall - hard to say but I have a rain barrel in case there are water restrictions (as there were last summer).

I'm a newbie so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (64)

• ianna
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello Jen,

I prefer a random look but in this case I had them at the very border. I already had a small tree (a redbud growing in the centre). Ideally I would have the ball shaped boxwoods in different sizes scattered throughout the bed. As if one just threw several balls in and planted them where they landed. It makes the bed look dynamic. It doesn't necessarily need to be ball shaped too. I like pillar types and would have loved using a sky pencil boxwood which sadly will not survive here. I could have used holly instead but it's leaves are too prickly. Or maybe Hick's yew but that would take too long to grow and it won't be as tall. Or it maybe something like a shaped beech tree because the leaves stay on all through winter and shed only in spring. (I love to experiment). I particularly like the hard pruned shaped shrub against aerial plants like knautia macedonia or midnight blue salvia or veronicas or perhaps just totally all lavenders (check out Richters for varieties available)

I think you'd find many good ideas on Chelsea garden exhibits. They do a lot of these sort of contrasts. Just in this website alone look through the photos of modern gardens and I'm sure you'll find good ideas.

So yes you could go whatever direction you'd like to try out.

Thanks for the pointer to Northland Nurseries - I love discovering bargain places. For cheap shrub selections check out this location near Hamilton too..(I got my $10 yews from this place). SaveonPlants - look them up online for bargains.

Another area to check out is St. Jacob's market. Incidentally if you get lucky, several merchants will be selling their garden ornaments at really good prices. I got several hypertufa leaves from the Mennonite ladies there. Can't wait to check them out this season.

regarding drought. There's an added bonus to planting this form of gardening. It can last longer between watering. I could get away with weekly (deep) watering. This is because density prevents water loss and because these are perennials, their roots ran very deep where conditions remain moist. This bed - as soon as winter is over, I covered in a thin layer of composted manure. This acts both as mulch and fertilizers. I don't use artificial fertilizers. Plants that don't thrive are not going to be replanted. For this reason, I no longer planted lupins. I had beautiful ones but these were destroyed by aphids in huge numbers.

• Jen Loo
    7 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas ianna! I think I will go for the random look in placing the boxwoods and mixing shapes too. I will definitely check out St. Jacobs (grew up in KW) and SaveOnPlants as well.

One last thing I will mention is winter sowing, which is how I plan on getting most of the perenials from seed. There is a lot of info on the web and there is a facebook group if either of you are interested.

Happy gardening!!

• Related Discussions

Help me to select flowers for this garden bed? (pic)

Q

Comments (20)
    You could incorporate the pond by adding some rocks with a bit of presence - groupings along the back curves. And not dinky rocks, something with some heft and shape but that won't overpower the size of the pond; and buried in a bit not to look plopped by some magical accident. Interplant the rocks with a few specimens that can handle a western exposure, but not sure what they would be in your zone. Dragon's Blood sedum is a low growing creeper, hens & chicks. An annual sweet potato vine could be trained into interesting cascades. All I know is when it comes to gardening/landscaping for the DIYer is that the heart knows what the heart wants. Most of us non professionals cut our teeth by trial and error; by pouring over gardening books before the advent of the internet; by skulking around local garden centers; by overplanting things that just weren't quite appropriate; by making mistakes and replacing failures until something actually worked; by realizing it's a plant and not "my baby" (as I so often see plants referred to on some of the forums) so it can be uprooted, discarded, replaced without trauma.
    ...See More

Need help in selecting flowering shrubs

Q

Comments (4)
    The deer here in SC LOVED my blueberries, until I fenced the bushes in and the deer out. Cranberries might do, as might one of the deciduous hollies, for berries - you would need a male to get berries. Inkberry is an evergreen holly that might work, although the dark berries aren't especially interesting. Either red or black chokecherry is a possibility. Another might be either grey or silky dogwood, or red osier/red twig dogwood, Cornus amomum, recemosa or sericea, respectively. Hinoki or Sawara false cypress might have several cultivars of a size and shape that suits, taking both sun or part-shade. Another evergreen, although more for the sunny spots, would be a Juniper cultivar such as 'Grey Owl' - not all junipers are low and spreading. Mountain Laurel is a broad-leaf evergreen that might suit for the sunnier parts - it will take shade, but will flower less for you than here, where it needs shade - there are other colors of flowers in the cultivars than just the pink/whites, shading into reds. And some of the native azaleas, both the evergreen and deciduous, might well add flowering interest - some also are heavily scented.
    ...See More

Need help in selecting flowers for long narrow area

Q

Comments (41)
    My beds are all 36 inches wide or less, and I have plenty of perennials and annuals in them. It really can be done. :) Perennials I have had in them for 3+ years (counting this year): Penstemon mexicali Veronica Sunny Border Blue Day lilies Hydrangea Mini Penny Scabiosa Foxglove Gaura lindheirmeri Salvia Heatwave Dahlias Asiatic lilies (they spread but can be moved) Garden phlox Columbine Balloon flower Coreopsis Dianthus Blanketflower Spiderwort (in shadier conditions) Newer ones Perennials (1-2 years): Gladiolus Shasta Daisy Penstemon Red Husker Canterbury Bells Now, I am not sure how these would work with your sun/shade and the brick wall...but, I have had no issues with these guys in my 24-36 inch wide boxes. It looks like you have a plan, but I wanted to throw these out. :)
    ...See More

Need help selecting flowers/trees for small yard!

Q

Comments (1)
    No one can advise you because we do not know your zone or soil conditions.
    ...See More
  • ianna
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks, I've considered winter sowing but hadn't had the chance last year. I too grow a lot of my plants from seeds and right now have several echinacea POW WOW growing, foxgloves, delphiniums, salvias, elephant amaranthus, etc.. growing. I'm concentrating more on my vegetable garden year and have several heritage tomatoes growing now. I also like to create plants via cuttings too and have propagated several including lavenders and boxwood, over the years.

I really don't wish to be too visible so I avoid facebook groups. Its all about garden design for me. Frankly, because its a perennial bed, it frees me up to do other things.. and plus I'm a sports mom so I'm always out of the house. I like nature too so will indulge in camping or other adventurous activities.

• PRO
    Ron Keddy Tile Dealer
    7 years ago

There are many different combinations of flowers that can work for your landscape this spring: you can go with pansies, yellow trilliums, hellebores, snowdrop anemone, or harmony irises for your garden.

crushedpurple thanked Ron Keddy Tile Dealer
  • crushedpurple
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi all - just an update. Last weekend I bought a bunch of perennials from a couple of ladies who split their plants from the large gardens. I got a couple of lilac bushes - they're really small and I'm wondering how close together they can/should be planted?

For now I planted them side by side:

But now I'm wondering if that's a good idea because when the mature it might be a problem so I'm now I'm thinking maybe either side of the front steps? Just to note, there is a rose bush by the bay window (see pic below) so not sure that's a good idea either.

For greater context, here' a broader view:

• Jen Loo
    6 years ago

I think the size and shape of the lilia bushes would depend on the variety. I have 2 liliac bushes/trees in the back that are more than 8' tall which i would not put close to an entrance or foundation. They are the most commonly seen variety. I'm not sure how fast lilacs grow but you could keep them there for now until they get bigger and then move them. If you are looking for suggestions of what else to plant beside the rose bush, I would go with a little lime or quickfire hydrangea.

• ianna
    6 years ago

I think 2 lilacs in one bed is too much. Lilacs grow tall and wide. They will require hardpruning every few years to keep its shape and so read up on that. By hardpruning, I mean cut down selected trunks to the base but leaving enough so there will be blooms.

As for the rose area. I'm the type that will prefer to have the rose closer to the steps but its fine were it is right now. You can surround it with white blooms as Jen suggested. I'm quite flexible in my approach to gardening. If the item is available and on sale, I'd grab things. If its not, then I substitute.

Think of the window treatment as a square painting divided into 4 quadrants. The focus will be the item set to the lower side of that window closest to the steps. The tallest plants set on the opposite side of the window.

I also will suggest tall plants (say by the parkway) like delphiniums, or russian sage. Though russian sage reseeds too easily. I'd like to see a couple of rounded boxwood set not in a straight row. or you can surround the area with something green. For example lady's mantles. Fill spaces in between with white campanula.

Or maybe dark coloured coral bells

The reason for mixing things up like this. Its informal. The foliage mix is interesting. By putting the focal point to one side of the bed, you create a dynamic scene.

Formal gardens are all about symmetry with the focal point in the middle, so if that's where you are going with your bay window, let me know and I can too make other suggestions.

For the garden bed. Do you have any ideas on what to do? Check out on this website, English gardens to draw inspiration

Flowering pairing ideas.

Garden Spaces · More Info

this photo shows salvia (sage) blue midnight, combined with lady's mantle, nepeta and of course the rose bushes.

College Crescent · More Info
    this one shows rounded boxwood (it doesn't need to be this size) paired with hydrangeas and the japanese forest grass, hakonechloa macra 'aureola'. One of many filler plants you can use.

• Jen Loo
    6 years ago

Crushpurple, how is the garden remodel going? I would love to see a picture.

• crushedpurple
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks for asking Jen - to be honest it doesn't look great, most of the plants are new and haven't been established but hopefully next year it will look better. I also hadn't been sufficiently watering the flowerbed so I inadvertently have been killing some of them...most survived but several did not lol. It still looks better than before though. I will post some pictures when I get home tonight. How's yours coming along?

• Jen Loo
    6 years ago

I'm in the same boat. Everything I planted is still small, especially since I grew them from seed, and it doesn't look great. The neighbourhood rabbits are also giving me some trouble. But it has been fun so no complaints. I'll post a picture when I get home.

• crushedpurple
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• FastInk
    6 years ago

Looks good but the bed is still looking pretty bare. That's quite a big bed to fill in. Should look into cloning and propagation of your existing plants in an attempt to fill it in more.

• ianna
    6 years ago

AWESOME JOB. I'm quite impressed. well done.

crushedpurple thanked ianna
  • amberm145
    6 years ago

I'm sure things will get bigger, and spread out a bit. I'd rather let things grow into each other naturally than worry about making it look perfect from the start and then spend the rest of your life cutting things back.

crushedpurple thanked amberm145
  • ianna
    6 years ago

what is that row of plants you placed on the side by your neighbors? Delphiniums? sedums?

Don't worry about the bare spaces yet (although look out for weeds). In time you'll fill them up with other lovely plants. I prefer the wait and see method before adding more colour, shapes, heights to a bed. And the best way is to watch and wait.

• crushedpurple
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks you! Yes that's sedum, which I have an abundance of so I thought I would split them up and make a bit of a border. I made a border on the other side of the driveway but with hostas to separate my property from my neighbour's who has tons of weeds (on the left it's a mix hydrangeas and mums):

I agree about waiting - I'm trying to control myself and not plant any more flowers because it will fill up so I think I should let things be for this summer and then see how it turns out next year. And yes weeding, I spend a couple hours every week to weed! Haha

• Sarah Ferdinand
    6 years ago

Ianna, what a beautiful garden! I love it

• ianna
    6 years ago

LOL. My problem as well - wait til the end of the season before buying because there are bound to be bargains.

A thought. Perhaps add some boxwoods to perform a mini hedge to separate your side from your neighbors. Then use the hostas in a more random manner sprinkled over this bed. In between add some heucheras and corral bells. If possible add a sunk in edging so the neighbor's weeds don't get into your side (never use a weed cloth. - pointless, doesn't work).

• ianna
    6 years ago

thank you Sarah. I since moved when I downsized but guess what? The local horticultural society discovered my new front yard and is once again nominating my yard for a recognition award. If it happens it would be the 4th time I received it and in over 3 properties thus far.. LOL. I don't know who nominates me but I never really look for that award. If neighbours like what I've done, then that's my reward.

• crushedpurple
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yep I removed all the weed cloth/landscape fabric - the weeds were growing right throw them. Do you think boxwood would look good there? Here's another angle:

I know mums and hydrangeas can get quite large so I thought I thought I'd keep this side a bit more "manicured" than the other side....but I also don't know what to do with this side.

• crushedpurple
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's awesome ianna, thought I'm not surprised because your garden is absolutely gorgeous!! Keep us updated!

• crushedpurple
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just wondering if someone would be able to help me identify these 3 flowers please:

Plant 1

Plant 2

Plant 3

• ianna
    6 years ago

re boxwood, I think so. but rounded boxwood or a low clipped hedge.

• ianna
    6 years ago

plant 1 - looks like a form of hens and chick (succulent type) but it could also be an echeveria which are not normally hardy here. I think hens and chicks. See if it gives out chicks later in the year and the 'mother' dies off. replant the chicks for more plants.

Plant 2 - phlox I think. Tall pink or white flowered plants. will bloom late in summer. Another possibility is its a penstemon. but again its a wait and see approach

Plant 3 - looks like astilbe - usually a shade plant. Depending on species, they can send off sphires anywhere from a foot tall to a 3 feet tall one.

• ianna
    6 years ago

I like your neighborhood by the way. Feels very small town and I wish I can live in such areas..

• crushedpurple
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I really hope #3 is astilbe because I've been looking for some to plant. Wondering if I should move that to a more shaded area because it gets full morning sun? I believe they should already be in bloom, no?

#2 I was thinking phlox as well but my other phlox (that I know for sure is a phlox) looks a bit different so I thought maybe this was something else.

#1 someone else suggest possibly a lily but when I google chicks and hens looks like that might be it. Thanks again!

• ianna
    6 years ago

The astilbe shld have produced buds a while ago. It will next year. Yes you can move them now if you wish. The weather is still mild. But water them well at least an hour before transplanting.

• Jen Loo
    6 years ago

That looks great! I can see the time you have put in to weed.

crushedpurple thanked Jen Loo
  • crushedpurple
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks ianna. It's so disappointing that so many flowers that should have come and gone by now, have not such as lilies (stella d'oro, asiatic), irises, tulips, daffodils, poppies - I'm sure there are plenty of others too :(

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

#1 Lilium sp.

#2 Phlox paniculata

#3 Anemone

crushedpurple thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • crushedpurple
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks peren.all - just to clarify is sp. short for speciosum?

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

Sorry, sp. is short for species. If you post a pic of your Lilium when it blooms you will be able to get an ID.

crushedpurple thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • Jen Loo
    6 years ago

Here are the promised pictures of the bed we put in this year. I haven't finished planting at the very front yet. I have edelweiss, lambs ear and creeping thyme that are still too small. The raised bed at the very back has a row of oakleaf hydrangeas with some boxwoods. I'm planning on putting in some nepeta to spill over the stone in the future. Thanks for looking!

• Jen Loo
    6 years ago

• Jen Loo
    6 years ago

• ianna
    6 years ago

Jen.. Your garden bed has loads of potential. I'm going to suggest getting a good edging tool to help cut a very clean line to separate your lawn from the bed. Lots of things you can do to this yard. I note you plan to use nepeta - just be aware of its invasive qualities. Its a spreader. So if you do use it, you'll have to keep it in check.

• Jen Loo
    6 years ago

Thanks ianna! I'm planning on edging the bed with brick or stone next yr to make it easier to mow along the edge and prevent grass growing into the bed. Thanks for the note on the nepeta. I will keep an eye on it once I put it in so it doesn't take over.

• ianna
    6 years ago

actually brick won't prevent grass from invading the bed. In fact it creates more issue. Unseen in most photos of manicured lawns is an edger that is sunk in about 5 inches preventing the grass roots from reaching over. These are then topped by the bricks or stone on top. Other than that, you can create a v-shaped canal to create a large gap between grass and bed.

• Jen Loo
    6 years ago

Ianna, thanks for the tips. I think I'll redo the edge this weekend with the v canal and see if I like it.

• crushedpurple
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all! I am reviving this Thread to ask a couple of questions. I'm thinking about planting flower seeds both perennials and annuals to fill in the bare spots. The only thing is that I don't remember where things are planted. Is this a good idea? Should I remove the mulch before putting the seeds down? Also is keeping the mulch prohibiting flowers from growing and expanding? Just trying to figure out if I should remove the mulch or continue to u add more? Thanks!

• Jen Loo
    5 years ago

You'll need to remove the mulch in order to direct sow seeds (annual or perennial) or the mulch will prevent germination or growth and you'll need to keep the mulch off until stuff is big enough. I had to do this last year...such a pain and things were looking patchy for a while. You can also sow one type of seed in an area so you'll know what they are but keep in mind rain will wash things to other places and then transplant elsewhere...which is pretty easy to do and the little plants bounce back really quick. I would not mix annuals and perennials just because perennials are really slow to grow and really won't look like much for year 1. Annuals grow like crazy and you can sow them in a tray (even now) and transplant out in a few weeks so you don't have to remove the mulch and they will get big by late june and flower for the rest of the summer. I like salvia victoria blue, cosmos, alyssum, california poppies, and bachelor buttons. Post a pic when you can, would love to see the result.

• crushedpurple
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Jen...looking forward to seeing pictures your flowerbed later this summer. It seems like we've both been working hard on our gardens!

• Jen Loo
    5 years ago

I will make sure to post one. Happy digging to you!

• Jen Loo
    5 years ago

Hello! I thought I would post a pic of my front yard bed at the beginning of this season after expanding it over the weekend. I've got a few more things to go in there still including another dogwood and a clematis to grow up the trellis. I've got self sown annual seedlings that are growing. There are 3 hydrangeas I picked up at the end of last season in there.

Crushedpurple, have you been gardening and adding new plants? Would love to see pictures of your narrow bed with the hydrangeas and your main front bed.

• crushedpurple
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Looks great!!!! I will post pics tomorrow!

• crushedpurple
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Jen Loo
    5 years ago

That looks great! It'll be exciting to see things fill in over the summer. If you don't mind a suggestion, a few clusters of daffodils and alliums would look great in the front bed. Or other bulbs that you like. I'm not a big fan of tulips but I love how alliums stick out with their purple globes. Post a pic in June and I'll do the same.

• crushedpurple
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Jen! I actually have both planted (not in the front bed though) but unfortunately none of the daffodils have bloomed. I think it's still too early for alliums. Only half the tulips bloomed. Same thing happened last year, none of the irises bloomed either but the green foliage for all of them is there. I'm thinking about transplanting some of them to the front bed in fall.

• Jen Loo
    5 years ago

Perhaps your backyard is too shady for dafs, tulips and alliums? I think generally they need a lot of sun to bloom well. My backyard was too shady and I had to dig them up after they didn't bloom in the 2nd year (year 1 was fine but they didn't store enough energy after blooming for year 2). Also, I deadhead right away so they don't seed. Would love to see a pic of your backyard too. Have a great long weekend.

• crushedpurple
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm really happy with how my front garden is turning out. I'm thinking about getting rid of the lawn completely and but not sure yet