SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

I Am FINALLY Happy With My Living Room!

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Last night, as I was studying the first picture I'm posting here, something still seemed off, and I finally figured out what it was! Now I'm happy as a clam in mud with this new arrangement and can finally say, with a huge sigh of relief (in which some of you are probably joining in) that the living room is DONE. There were only two changes but they made all the difference. The more minor one is that I switched the pictures over the fireplace and the secretary, which now makes more sense since the landscape was too large in its place and the abstract somewhat too small.

The major change was to have the love seat moved to where it faces the couch, and that now the two chairs are facing each other across the coffee table. This solves the problem of the small side table, which everyone on another post felt was too small next to the love seat. They were right, but it looks just right now next to the chair with the lower side arms. Everything in this room makes sense to me now, and I'm breathing a big sigh of relief. Why it took me forever to figure out something so simple I do not know. Now I'd like to know what you think, hoping of course that you'll agree that this is the best arrangement. Even if you don't, your input is valued.

The old version...

And now on to the new, improved look....

I was happy to see that the antique French lingerie chest on the left in the last picture is now fully visible since it's not hidden by the love seat. I had forgotten what a nice piece it was since the bottom part and graceful legs weren't really noticeable.

Sorry about the plethora of pictures; I got carried away!

Comments (49)

• 8 years ago

Looks great! What a relaxing, lovely room.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
  • Related Discussions

I am finally finished with my sewing room!

Q

Comments (2)
    I can't wait to see it! I'm still waiting for my room.....someday. Vicky
    ...See More

I am not happy with my backsplash!!Are you

Q

Comments (17)
    Unfortunately, you've chosen a stone that is busy in both color and shape. It's going to be extremely difficult to find a tile that is right. You've got a very rustic island with traditional cabinetry and a statement pantry door, as well. It's a lot of conflicting vibes. The easiest solution, IMO, would be to run the quartz up the wall. That's gonna be pretty pricy, though. If it was me, I'd be removing the stone from the island, and starting over there. (I'm not really a fan of your backsplash, either, if I'm being honest, but it will be easier to work with than the island.)
    ...See More

Trying to decide on a rug for my living room but I am totally lost.

Q

Comments (3)
    olychick has some good recommendations. You need warmth and color in this room. Try esale.rugs or rugsUSA and see what speaks to you. Allow yourself to embrace color, which is also current right now, but do it for the reason that it gives warmth and life to a room. Find pillows and art that are colorful, and then go on to buy a glass coffee table that will showcase the rug and side tables with lamps to cast warm light on your pretty room.
    ...See More

Morning light: finally, my living room is done...

Q

Comments (7)
    Thank you, everyone! Literally made my morning (-: Here are a couple of pictures of the antique-ed sideboard I bought at an estate sale more than 15 years ago. Doesn’t indicate its maker; came with us from house to house and fit in with every space we put it in (dining room, living room, as divider between sitting and dining areas in open floor space.)
    ...See More
  • 8 years ago

Very inviting and quite elegant.

• 8 years ago

I do like this layout much better :)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Errant_gw
  • 8 years ago

Looks so fresh and colorful! Love all your things how you've carefully layered and arranged them. We have the same style fireplace, did you notice? Albeit two VERY different takes on that theme. But I too have a collection of Asian antique-ish art from my mom, although mine is Japanese. Anyway thanks for sharing your journey!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked l pinkmountain
  • 8 years ago

What a gorgeous home. Lucky you!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked cupofkindnessgw
  • 8 years ago

Glad you found your design! Looks wonderful. I can see what a great layout you've created for conversation.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked DYH
  • 8 years ago

Nice! The artwork over the secretary looks really good, too, sets it off well. I really like the round table between the love seat and the chair! It lets you angle the chair if you want for conversation with sofa-sitters or to gaze at the fire.

Don't you love it when you just "know"?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked bpath
  • 8 years ago

No kidding, it looks so much more open and in fact a bit larger. Nice job! Isn't it amazing how we can't see our own trees for the forest sometimes?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 8 years ago

Lovely, lovely, lovely!!!!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked decormyhomepls
  • 8 years ago

I could just hug each and every one of you! Thank you so much for your supportive comments and admiration. I'm so glad you agree that it looks best this way. It somehow just feels absolutely right. Since the pictures I've moved the small table by the chair to the left side and I think it looks even better that way and I switched the figures by the lamps at each side of the couch from one side to the other, which I also like, but this is just minor fun tweaking. The basic layout is finally what it should be.

pink, I never noticed that your fireplace is similar to mine since I was concentrating on the couch, but the wood surround on yours does make it more elegant. I love the foo lion/dog on the hearth, but I wasn't able to see your Japanese pieces very well.

• 8 years ago

Perfect! I love the way your room is designed for conversation. It looks like a wonderful place to visit with family and friends; the way a living room should be. Very cool vibe too; doesn't look as if it's trying to impress; yet it does.. It's hard to achieve that, and you have done it!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jjam
  • 8 years ago

It looks really good. Maybe center the desk under the abstract? It's off by just a bit.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • 8 years ago

Very, very nice. Classy, casually elegant, functional. Love the colors.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked nosoccermom
  • 8 years ago

Ingrid, it looks awesome, and i'm mostly happy that it was *you* and your perspective of the room. We can offer our advice and you can give it a try, but in the end, you(and DH)are who live in the space. Congtatulations on a job well done! ;)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked patty Vinson
  • 8 years ago

jjam, I'm so impressed by your comments. I hate meaningless ostentation, which I don't have the budget for anyway, but want this room to express who I am and what I love. What you've said and the way you said it shows that you understand what a room should be, and that you think I've achieved it. Thank you.

hoovb, you're quite right. When we had the rug installed things weren't moved back quite perfectly afterwards. Unfortunately my husband has pulled some muscles in his chest and that secretary weighs a ton. The chairs are off too, but I'm waiting for the poor man to recover before I put him to work again. He single-handedly moved almost all the furniture in this room and the two bedrooms, including a king-size bed and heavy dresser, so the carpeting could be installed.

nosoccermom, I love every word you've written. Many thanks.

• 8 years ago

Very nice, indeed!!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked cran
  • 8 years ago

It looks beautiful, Ingrid. You are always so patient and helpful with others and I'm glad you got it all right in your own home.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Bunny
  • 8 years ago

Oh, well done, Ingrid! This arrangement is so much better and actually seems to open up the space and invite you in more than the old one. Looks like a wonderful room for enjoying friends and family, or just some quiet solitude. It's lovely!

• 8 years ago

Ingrid, you really nailed it! I love that you took your time and mulled over each choice and how open you were to suggestions, but in the end you found the perfect look. It is so serene and comfy and I feel like I just want to sink into one of your chairs and have a cup of coffee with you!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Holly- Kay
  • 8 years ago

Thank you, both of you, and Linelle I'm touched by your gracious comment. I've received so much kind assistance here myself that I'm only too happy to try and help others.

I made a few changes as mentioned; the small rectangular table is now to the left of the chair, which makes for ease of access from the other side, and I found a rectangular porcelain tray that I thought might look better than a round plate to go on it. It's one of my favorites, and a rather rare piece. I also moved the ram, one of the Chinese zodiac signs, next to this lamp, along with a Tang nobleman. Both are figures excavated from ancient burial sites. Sorry about the electrical cord hanging down, must remember to tape to wall.

• 8 years ago

Yes, yes, yes! That looks marvelous. Well done. Now, sit down, relax, and enjoy. A glass of champagne would not be too much of a celebration. :-)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • 8 years ago

Very nice, Ingrid! I can see why this new arrangement makes you so happy.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked LynnNM
  • 8 years ago

Much much nicer. The other thing is that the pictures on the wall used to just hang there but now they're supported by the strength of the length of the sofa whereas before there was just a chair. I know it's a walk through-way but sometimes illusion is everything!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked blfenton
  • 8 years ago

Very nice and welcoming!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • 8 years ago

Looks wonderful!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Elizabeth Z
  • 8 years ago

Oh, my yes! What a difference small changes can make, right? It looks much more cohesive and put together and welcoming. Really great.

• 8 years ago

I love what you have done. It's such a calming, elegant and inviting space. I prefer it without the area rug--your amazing art and china collections are really the stars of the show now. Well done!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked teeda
  • 8 years ago

Your new room makes me smile, it is very inviting. Great work!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jill302
  • 8 years ago

Dear people, I treasure every word you've written. I can't thank you enough but consider yourself hugged tightly!

• 8 years ago

Bravissimo!!! I love it when the light bulb goes on and we figure it out. Well done and beautiful

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Yayagal
  • 8 years ago

Hi, Ingrid! I've followed your decorating dilemmas but always found the discussions well after you had received a multitude of feedback responses.

Your home is beautiful and I'm so glad you've discovered a solution with your existing furnishings. I hope your hubby recovers quickly. Enjoy your "new" spaces. :)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked zmith
  • 8 years ago

patty, TurquoiseRose and Holly-Kay, I somehow missed your comments the first time around and I'm glad I spotted them now. I'm reading everything again and it's even sweeter the second time around. It's just overwhelming.

• 8 years ago

zsmith, we posted at the same time; I'm glad you like the outcome. Thank you for your good wishes for my husband's recovery.

• 8 years ago

It's perfect, except I think you need an area rug to anchor it all. Ha ha! JUST KIDDING!!! I do love what you've done; it's a beautiful room. The tweaks made it perfect.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Olychick
  • 8 years ago

TBH I was worried about your rug in one of your old posts. I don't know what you did exactly, but it really looks so nice. There is something very pleasant and genuine about it. Enjoy!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked MtnRdRedux
  • 8 years ago

It looks great! I love every thing about it! Great job!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked rockybird
  • 8 years ago

I love it! Are you going to have a party and show it off?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked chickadee2_gw
  • 8 years ago

And you're very welcome. ;)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked patty Vinson
  • 8 years ago

Wow! It looks great! I bet you are relieved to have it just how you wanted it!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked amykath
  • 8 years ago

Ingrid sorry to hear your gallant husband got injured. Hope he heals up quick, in case there are any roses to plant. ;^)

Just wondering, are you familiar with furniture sliders? They are these little things you can slip under each leg or foot of furniture and push the item around to move it. A version for hard floors and version for carpets. I use them a lot. Available at big box stores. On hardwood I am just very careful that the floor is immaculate and the sliders are also, to avoid any chance of a scratch.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • 8 years ago
    Very nice!
  • 8 years ago

Love it—It's so charming and inviting! Now relax and enjoy!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked gardener123
  • 8 years ago

Nice job - it looks so welcoming and comfortable. I'd love to spend time in a room like that. :)

• 8 years ago

I'm enjoying all the additional comments; one just cannot get enough of praise. It never gets boring! hoovb, thanks for the good wishes for hubby. Yes, he does have two more roses to plant. He did use sliders, but thank you for that helpful tip. I'm afraid placing and replacing area rugs didn't help. The two big chairs are almost impossible to move and you can't use sliders on them.

Olychick, you're so bad! Please do not mention area rugs for at least a year. I think the right one is lovely on wood floors but I'm not so sure that they work or look well on a thick carpet. I really like the less cluttered look right now.

• 8 years ago

Looks great but if it FEELS right, then it is!!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked always1stepbehind
  • 8 years ago

I'm glad you have found what makes you happy and can enjoy it now. The before was more open -- like here's a spot to all sit down -- easy to come sit together. The after says "now stay a while and let's talk." Make sense?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked lascatx
  • 8 years ago

That looks so nice! It's very warm and welcoming!

• 8 years ago

lascatx, I do know what you mean. It's a bit like circling the wagons around when an Indian attack is imminent. The good thing is that nothing is bolted to the floor and I can change the look without too much trouble.