SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parczel

Cat urinary tract problems

parczel
8 years ago

I have a cat that has had several bouts of urinary tract issues-- once he ended up blocked, but the other few times it was just frequent straining to urinate, and twice with a tinge of blood in the urine. My cat has had numerous urinalysis and no crystals have ever been found? My vet had me put him on prescription food (royal canin SO) after he had the blockage about 5 years ago, and I fed him that for about a year and a half/2 years-- the problem though, is that he HATES that food, while my other cat LOVES that food, and there ended up being a ridiculously complicated feeding routine that neither cat, nor myself, was really happy with. So I started mixing his food with Blue Buffalo cat food after almost 2 years of feeding him the food he didn't like, and he seemed fine. So I put them both on Blue Buffalo, and that's what they both ate for a little under 3 years. Several times a week I'd feed them a can of Purina Pro Urinary Health food, with their regular food. No problems with this until very recently--he began straining to pee in different spots in the house one day, and producing little drops of urine with a blood tinge to them. So I took him back to the ER--luckily, he wasn't blocked. Went to the regular vet, who said to put him back on the urinary prescription food, which works by eliminating crystals. Does this make any sense? I feel like the issue must not be with crystals, since he's had 6 urinalysis, 3 of which were done at times he was experiencing the symptoms of straining and having blood in his urine. The vet said that it could be that he has crystals, but they just aren't being sucked into the syringe in the sample when they take urine from his bladder? This seems like really freak odds, doesn't it, that this would be the case 6 different occasions? He generally drinks a lot of water, more than the cat that has never had a problem. I also add water to his food sometimes. I don't know if he just recently began drinking less water because he was spending a lot of time sleeping on the second floor in the bathroom because there's a really warm spot on the floor from the heating pipes-- both cats love it there, and maybe he hadn't felt like getting up and drinking water. or maybe he was too comfy and didn't want to get up to pee so he was holding it more? I put a water dish in the bathroom now, in case this was the problem.

But as far as the prescription food goes-- it's insanely pricey, and he doesn't like it. When I feed both cats in the same room, they just switch dishes, and eat each other's food. If I feed them in separate rooms, he walks away from his food and paws at and cries to get into the room that the other cat is eating her food in. And she doesn't usually finish all her food at once so she doesn't get to eat as much because I can't leave her food out for her to pick at because he will get into it, and she will go eat his food because he won't eat more than a few bites before he walks away. It's impossible unless I feed them BOTH the urinary tract food- which, btw, that food is not really the best quality ingredients, and on top of that, I'd be paying for TWO cats to be eating that food which is more than double the price of the expensive brands of cat food.

I understand that repeat urinary issues in male cats is fairly common. Does anyone have experience with a cat having repeated urinary tract issues without any evidence of crystals in urinalysis? Or any successful long term feeding strategies off the prescription food, without any recurrences?

Comments (16)