SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mazerolm_3a

Drainage issue near new arborvitae hedge: please, please advise

mazerolm_3a
8 years ago

Hello,

We planted a cedar hedge (thuja occidentalis) the first spring after we bought our house. They were about 3.5-4 feet. Now three years later, about 15-20 trees (out of 100) need to be replaced (dead or dying a slow death). These were quality trees, bought at a local nursery. I'm positive that drainage is an issue, as the ground stays moist for a couple of days after a hard rain, exactly where the dead/sick trees are located. And it's clear that the ones that were planted higher are doing ok.

I'm planning to replace the dying/dead trees this spring. And it would be great if I could get some advice. First off, I was wondering if I should plant very young trees instead of 4-footers. Would they get used to the standing water better? Would it end up looking ok after a few years, if I prune the existing ones? Or should I add more soil when planting the new trees so they'll be at the same level as the existing ones?

Or, should I address the root cause and add a french drain or a dry creek bed? If so, which one is better for standing water problems? I've read that a french drain is better, but it would be great if somebody could confirm this. Also, if I do add a drain/dry bed, how far from the cedar hedge should it be installed to work properly, but not get invaded by roots?

The hedge is located about 40 feet from the house, and there is no slope. It's just this problematic area along the property line that is lower than the rest of the lot. It's about 30 feet long and 10 feet wide.

I know I'm going all over the place with this, and I apologize. I've put a lot of thought into this, but I'm very unsure on how I should fix this problem. And I'm afraid that if I talk to a local contractor, I will get biased advice.

Thanks in advance,

Marie

Comments (11)