SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itguy16

Boiling Washes - WOW!!!

itguy08
8 years ago

You guys will appreciate this....

I've got a few white undershirts that are years (5-10+) old that have this "residue" on the underarms. I'm talking waxy cardboard stiff there. No rhyme or reason to the deposits - most older shirts are clear but some have it. But I have not had the heart to throw them away as the rest of the shirt is in great condition. Mostly washed in Sanitary or Whitest whites since we got our FL's in 2004. Always with bleach.

Armed with my newfound Laundry powers I set out on a mission to clean these stains for good.

Up first: AMMONIA. Soaked for 4 hours and laundered. Maybe a little looseness but nothing. Then soaked overnight and maybe a little looser but I only got the shirt damp and let it sit. Washed it with a few other whites and air dried it.

Up second: BOIL WASH. Took the dried shirt, popped it into a pot and filled with hot water. Filled with hot water, put a lid on it, and added a pinch of detergent. Onto the stove for a nice 4 hour simmer.

I'll be darned if the residue isn't 90% gone. You can still see and feel traces of it but it's almost gone. Probably another 2-3 hours simmering and it would be all gone.

Up Third:ACETONE. This will be this weekend's try once I get to Home Depot to pick some up.

Don't know if I saved anything vs buying a new shirt but it's an awesome feeling to resurrect this shirt.

Comments (18)