SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffanygarrido

Dining Table Placement

tiffanygarrido
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Well, I originally posted this in the building and decorating forums and both recommended that I come here for advice. Please excuse my picture, as I was trying to edit the watermark out. Let me start with saying, I do not want a closed off dining room; however, I would like it to be a somewhat defined area with it's own lighting etc. with a farmhouse table that seats at least 10 with an extension. It can be smaller for every day use, but I'd like it to extend to seat a minimum of 10.

The dining table was originally supposed to go between the island and living room; however, I'm not sure if this is going to work because we have less space than I thought. I know I can make it fit, but I really think it is going to make the living room space smaller than we wanted. We plan on having a brick arch between the kitchen and living room which is going to complicate placing the dining table there even further. We could do a wood beam which would take up less space than the brick arch, but I still do not think it will work.

The other issue with having the the dining table in this space is I really want to have a pretty light in the living room and a separate light over the dining table. Wouldn't that be a bit of an overkill for that space?

A couple of posters on the building and decorating forum mentioned turning the island so that if faces the keeping and then we would have room for a table between island and keeping. I'm open to all suggestions and still considering this option, but Im thinking this will really change the way we want the house to look. I like how the island is centered with the brick arch.

One idea I have and tell me what you think. I do want a walk in pantry, but it doesn't have to be THAT big. Also, we can reduce the size of bedroom 2 or 3 or bathroom 2 if we needed to create a pantry in any of that space. Maybe we could fit a dining area around were the pantry currently is somehow? I also wanted to add that bathroom 2 has already been changed to have a shower/tub combo instead of the separate shower. Our builder is making that change and just made a bigger closet (not necessary) so bedroom 3 could actually be made a little longer if needed (I think).

I would love to hear your creative opinions! Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)