SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_842257076

dining table placement - kitchen or dining room?

Meng Designs
3 years ago

Hi everyone,

First time posting here... So we brought a new house and we have a dining table placement dilemma. We have an area next to the kitchen and family room large enough for a table, it steps out into patio/backyard. Then there is a 14 x 14 dining room. The dining room is a bit awkward that the main entrance to the kitchen will be through the dining room (from front door, and upstairs) so I definitely don't want to crowd it.

We have our eye set on two dining tables. One white (maybe marble or similar) round 60, one wood rectangular (extendable) from 72 to 100.

Option 1

- round in the kitchen area and rectangular (extendable) in dining room

The consideration here is that we will use the round in the dining daily, and entertain in the dining room

Option 2

- the other way around, rectangular (extendable) in kitchen, and round in dining room

In this case, we'd more likely to have a marble round for the dining room and it's a bit more for "show". As both daily and entertaining will be in the kitchen. We are a young family with kids and we don't do many "formal" parties so this speaks to me a bit more than option 1. I do see having a glass of wine without kids running around in the dining room though.

What do you guys think? Would a 72/86/100 dining table (Adams by Room and Board, 36 wide) fit fine in that area in the kitchen?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)