SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swisschardfanatic

We've had quite the adventure with crappy washers: need help...

Swiss_Chard_Fanatic
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

...and hopefully recommendations from repair technicians on the forum as to which model I should buy.

We have had quite the adventure with washers and dryers lately, and I wanted to stop before we have more adventures with other appliances.

Our adventure:

1. Started out with old, aging, used agitator washer. It got clothes clean, except for one thing: clothes came out smelling foul like mold and mildew. That was our only complaint. Got rid of it; replaced with a used front loader.

2. Front loader: bearing goes out right away, AND clothes came out smelling like mildew and mold! We no longer believe in front loaders and are unwilling to try more. Got rid of it. Replaced with brand new Maytag Bravos ultra capacity impeller washer.

3. Maytag Bravos impeller after 2 months of correct use: every 5 loads or so, shirts come out with white streaks or lint or dirt or smelling like sweat. Unacceptable. But they did not smell like mold or mildew.

4. Want to return it to Lowes; it's still within 90 day return period. Contemplating getting brand new Maytag agitator washer. I know agitators are harder on clothes--I find this acceptable. Agitators get clothes cleaner. My clothes are pretty stout; I don't buy thin or delicate clothes; neither does hubby. BUT here's my fear: will it fill up enough with water?

I'm seeing reviews that say even agitator washers these days are trying to be "energy-efficient" by using less water. I need one that fills up almost all the way just like the ones 10+ years ago did.
Where can I find that?

Oh and one more thought here: I hate the quality of modern appliances; they seem like they will come apart. I prefer durability and am willing to pay more $$$ for it. Do I need to look at only commercial? What brands? Prefer to support American factories, that's why we are attracted to Maytag.

----------------------------------

A rant about energy efficiency: yeah right. Sorry but modern washers that take 1 hour and 45 mins to 2 hours and 30 mins are not more energy efficient than older washers that took tops 60 mins to finish the load. Bunch of nonsense.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio