SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

We've done it - we've actually bought a house!

sally2_gw
15 years ago

What an ordeal, but it's finally a happy ending and beginning. Over the last several months we've been house shopping in northeastern Oklahoma. At first we had the unrealistic goal of moving up there by this spring, starting new jobs and a new life, but the economy tanked and that goal had to be readjusted. So, we decided to look for a house that could become our retirement home, since DH is eligible for early retirement in 3 years. When we first started looking we had a long list of what we wanted and had an idea of what we could afford. Well, it didn't take long to realize that the list didn't match up with what we could afford. So we had to revise what we wanted. The economy again didn't help matters in that department, as when we first started looking we could afford more house than when we ended up buying. Nevertheless, we have finally bought the home that will be our retirement home.

It's a tiny old farmhouse on 2 acres just outside of the Tahlequah city limits. It was built in 1905, and is definitely a fixer upper, but livable. It's cute and has lots of potential, with a fair amount of work. It has a big kitchen with a pretty good layout. The kitchen is cosmetically challenged, but that can be fixed. I'm looking forward to getting a veggie and herb garden planted and an orchard going, and fixing up the kitchen so it's functional and pretty.

I haven't posted about this much because it seemed that for every step forward we made, we were pushed 2 steps backward. I now understand why nobody's buying these days. Getting a loan these days is a brutal process. Not that DH would know, but he thought it might be like giving birth - a very painful process but a positive reward in the end. In our case, I'd liken it to a breech birth! We were the definition of Murphy's law. I'm not going to bore y'all with everything that went wrong, but just about everything did, and yet, we prevailed. We're heading up there this weekend to start cleaning it up and assessing how to make it our own.

We're exhausted, excited, and can't wait for the next 3 years go pass so we can move up there permanently.

Sally

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor