SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rdmason91

Fed up of my dribble for a shower! Time to upgrade!

rdmason91
8 years ago

Hi Everyone!
I'm looking to upgrade my shower to one that has enough pressure to push the soap of my skin.

I live in a 2-bed flat on the second floor (top floor of three story building). I currently have a relatively old, but not ancient, Potterton performa combi boiler with an out put of around 25kw. This heats 6 rooms perfectly well (2 bed, lounge, kitchen, bathoom and hall) and is fine for hot water. The previous owner installed an 8.5kw electric shower however and this just doesn't work for me. I've lived with it for a year and it's time to do something. The shower is installed over a bath so I have hot and cold feed ready to use for a mixer / digital shower, I'm just not sure what to do.
Obviously I'd prefer not to change the boiler however if this is the best way to get a decent shower system then I'd certainly consider it! What I'm looking for is, if money was no object, whats a realistic heating and shower system for this type of property to get a good flow rate from the shower head?

I've seen combi rated digital showers however, would these help? My heating system is charged to 2 bar however my understanding is that this is irrelevant. Cold water pressure in is certainly powerful enough. How do I work out what the flow rate from a mixer / digital shower would be?
I understand that you can't fit a pumped shower system (such as a power shower) to a combi boiler. When I initially turn on the hot tap I get a powerful flow of cold water, however this gradually dwindles down until a get a much slower flow of scolding water (although I assume if I turned down the temperature gauge for the hot water on the boiler, this would increase the flow?).

I am an engineer so I have a basic grasp of this stuff however I just don't understand enough about the system to know what to do.If anybody can shed some light and give advice that would be great! Answer can be as technical (or not) as you like and right now I'm not worried about cost, just answers. Once I know what I'm looking at I can introduce costs etc.

Thanks in advance folks!

Comment