SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadowspapa

time for new heat and central a/c - 'upgrade' frm LP to heatpump?

shadowspapa
15 years ago

Background:

House built in 1980 by the person we bought from in 1994. Well constructed, well insulated,built by previous owner/original owner who was a professional.

Newer Marvin and Anderson windows we had installed in the last 5 6 years.

About 1180 sq ft up with a finished walk-out basement where we do spend time. Basement is about half under ground, north and east like regular basement, south is half exposed, west is also half exposed, double steel walkout doors on south. Basement has good windows on the west. Electric dryer and electric stove/oven. LP water heater 1 year old.

A/C is central - Williams branded, probably original. NOISY, barely keeps up. Appears to be 2 ton, sure it needs serviced badly.

Heat is LP furnace - "Amana 90" put in spring of 1991 as I recall. It's a high-efficiency furnace - vents through PVC and has that smaller combusion motor. It started to dollar us to death over the last 6 or 7 years.

LP is $2.19 gallon here now - was $1.50 last summer. We have a 1,000 tank and usually contract for 600 gallons or so each summer, and don't normally use any more than that all year. last year we used under 600 as I recall. This is central Iowa where we can have some real extremes in weather, sub-zero winters, summers with many days over 90 in temp and humidity.

We believe it's time for a change - new furnace and A/C.

We've been looking around, but are SO confused by the numbers and options! I'm getting conflicting thoughts from the 2 companies who have come out to look and give quotes. I don't believe anyone is being dishonest but can't swear to that. Perhaps one is mistaken? One fellow said 2 ton A/C, another said at least 2.5.

We're fed up with LP prices, and electric isn't too bad here, winter rates not being fully electric is .08198 for first 1,000 kWh and lower after that, summer rate is .08429. If we went all electric, the winter rates would drop.

Questions:

Would a full electric air-to-air heat pump system save us money over an LP furnace?

Since the heat pump would be heat AND A/C, what about life and maintenance? With straight A/C and LP furnace, the compressor runs only on hot days. We've been told LP might be the best way to go as heat pumps are high maintenance and don't last as long, another fellow said "not to worry, heat pump and all electric is the way to go".

Trust but verify......... I know they have a slant - they are selling systems. So I'd like the toughts from others - non-interested parties because they won't make a dime one way or another.

I'm an expert on older cars but my knowledge of HVAC is old and limited. I know how they work........ that's about it.

The web sites that compare assume we're replacing like with like, so I can't get numbers on replacing an LP furnace with heat pumps as far as any savings or payback. When I plug in the current system, it assumes we'd go back to LP, so won't comapre to heat pumps, etc.

Some say no or little savings, others promise payback in 3 to 5 years and great savings. I can't get consistant answers. Not looking for guarantees, just guidelines.

Criteria:

QUIET A/C operation - quiet compressor. The deck attached to the house, and pool in the back yard are nearly unusable when this A/C runs.

Effecient.

RELIABLE!

Something able to de-humidify the house in summer even if the A/C isn't running full. We run about 78 degrees in summer, and when it cools down at night, it gets REALLY humid as the A/C kicks off. Iowa has terrible humidity, and you get wet sleeping in the humid nights.

Did I say reliable?

And - forward looking, knowing that LP will never again be under a buck a gallon. MidAmerican Energy (our electric supplier) rates are locked in until at least 2012, so our electric rates are good for a while, some believe that was extended through 2014.

Help, please!

So far I have prices for Carrier, Lennox, Rheem, and tomorrow, a local fellow is going to talk to us about Trane.

I'll pay an extra buck if it's RELIABLE and will eventually pay-off.

I've had more than one person tell me "avoid Carrier" (due to all sorts of electronics issues)and "avoid Lennox".

We're wide-open on thoughts here, and have already talked with our electrician about the electric circuit needs should we move to heat pump.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask such questions!

Comments (24)