SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncfaz

Funny story/what would you do-- crowded restaurant

C F
8 years ago

My husband and I frequently go to this bagel cafe. You order at the counter then find your seat and someone brings you your food. The place gets really busy on weekends, and although there is tons of seating, we have had a few times where we had to stand around for a couple of minutes and wait for someone to leave in order for us to get a table. If it gets too bad, I have seen the staff jump in to try to rearrange people (i.e. if 1 person took the 6 person booth or if the mom with kids needs a regular table instead of a high-top). But really, it all naturally resolves itself within 10 minutes.

To set the scene, this is in Oklahoma, where people tend to be very polite but used to their personal space. The restaurant has mostly 4-top tables or the 2-top variety that can be pushed together to make various configurations.

Yesterday my husband and I are sitting at a 4-top table next to another couple at a 4-top table. These are the kind of tables where one side is a booth and the other side is chair seating. They're sitting across from each other. The couple next to us is older, and they're about halfway through eating their meal when a young couple walks up to them and asks if anyone is sitting in the empty 2 seats at their table. The older couple is clearly caught of guard and says "no." So the young couple proceeds to sit at their 4-person table with them. So now the strangers are sitting side-by-side with this couple who was previously enjoying their lunch and chatting. I say to the younger woman, "Actually, we were just about to leave," trying to offer up our table. She doesn't respond. Possibly didn't hear me?

We get up to leave and I notice that about 3-4 other tables vacate at the same time. But the young couple stays where they are, in my opinion, totally intruding on this other couple's lunch!

Alright, I want to open this up to discussion. I don't think this will ever happen to us where someone else tries to sit at our table, but if they did, I would be really uncomfortable. I personally just don't think it's OK to invade that amount of personal space, even if the restaurant is busy. I'm thinking this must happen in larger, more metropolitan cities all the time, but I have never seen it happen around here.

Thoughts??

Comments (55)

• rgreen48
    8 years ago

Yep, last year a few restaurants opened across the U.S. specifically to offer the European style seating as a draw. There are no 'private' tables. The whole idea is interaction.

One of the most fun I've had was when my soccer team went to play in Germany. I was 15, and there was no restrictive drinking age. It was during Oktoberfest, and everyone sits together at these Lonnngggggg crowded picnic tables. It was a blast. We, of course were a novelty for them, and people wanted to know why we were visiting, how long we were staying, why we thought it was amazing that we were allowed to drink....

Experiencing, and embracing different customs is one of the coolest things. In Germany, we could drink alcohol in the beer tents, but at 15 I wasn't allowed in the arcade. Also, we didn't, but we could have gone in the x-rated theater. Violent films though, are more restricted. The most standout thing for us kids... men just walked onto the grass (like a public park area,) turned away from people, and relieved themselves.

Since then, I've become the kind that just starts speaking to people at nearby tables. Sometimes it freaks them out a bit, but usually people respond well. The only trick is to realize when it switches from a novelty to a pain for them lol. As you can imagine, I fail.

Btw... in the example above, since the young lady didn't respond, is it possible she didn't speak English?

• Suzieque
    8 years ago

Ooh - I wouldn't like that. Nope, not part of the culture here (New England). Not that we're not friendly (despite common misperceptions, we're very friendly), but if the restaurant seats us at a table, that's "our table" unless we ourselves offer to have someone sit with us.

• Related Discussions

Funny Story True Story..

Q

Comments (2)
    Oh NO! That doesn't sound very funny to me. That sucks.Have you heard from Verizon yet? I hate calling them. I have wasted so many hours of my life on the phone with those guys. Their fav thing to do is transfer you cause nobody ever knows anything. Guess the good news is you got your roomate to help you do something. Mine's worthless.
    ...See More

I have to tell you a funny story...a little long

Q

Comments (10)
    Candy, that's an idea. I'll give that some thought. My MIL is notorious for giving back the presents you get her. It may take several years but they always come back. Not because she doesn't like them, she just thinks we need it more than she does and hates that we spend money on her. (After 30 years in the family, I have learned to buy something that I really like.) She does all of her children that way. But I'm sure my little scissors will never find their way home because she loves to embroidery. I have several pillow cases that she has done. They are beautiful. She is blind in one eye and getting to where she can't see as well as she used to so there are some mistakes made but that makes them even more special. Some of the things we have gotten her such as embroidery thread, needles, iron on transfers and pillow cases she does not return, except the pillow cases after she has embellished them. Trust me she will not offer them back after she uses them compared to what she has been using. I have to shake my head and laugh every time I think about it. IÂm going to put this story it in my grandchildrenÂs scrap books with a picture of her embroidering. It will be a funny memory. By the way, do you hear harp music and angels sing when I mention the scissors like I do? I'm sure MIL heard them when she used them for the first time.
    ...See More

Which Celebrity Chef's Restaurant would you visit in NYC?

Q

Comments (32)
    Ok, so we're already going to go to Katz's and to Nathan's (although, of course Nathan has been to Nathan's multiple times before but I wanted to go again). He's been to Bobby Flay's which I wanted to go to but I also wanted to take him someplace he hasn't been yet. We're planning on going to Eataly during the day so we might do lunch there if we can easily get into one of the places without waiting in long lines. And we're going to Jeng Fung (recommended by a native New Yorker) for dim sum. Also, planning to hit wichcraft, although not Tom Colicchio's prime restaurant, I know that a lot of it is hype and I know that celeb places aren't necessarily the best places to eat in the world. But we live in Houston. We have TONS of restaurants here. I mean tons. And tons of nice places too. So I have a sort of different perspective on the whole thing. I mean, we're not going to go to NY with our eyes popping out and our jaws dropping at the sight of nice restaurants. But it would be nice to eat something we can't get in Houston. Really good Italian and really good Chinese food (we have tons of both Italian and Chinese but not REALLY GOOD of either) are about the only thing we don't have an overabundance of here. And celebrity spots. So what the heck. Honestly, I'm not going in hopes of seeing someone, I probably wouldn't recognize them anyway!! LOL But just for something in the way of a different experience. I do like the idea of the circle line tour at sunset, that sounds pretty cool. I tried to talk Nathan into the seaport museum but he's not interested. And we've been to the Ground Zero display which I think is there till they build the permanent one. Very moving. And we're pretty much going to have to find a place that serves vegetarian. I don't think Ben is impressed enough with any of these "names" to eat any kind of meat, especially fish which he never liked. Which is too bad because some of these seafood places sound to die for! Currently leaning toward Lidia's place. At least I've seen her on TV (dvd) and know who she is! :)
    ...See More

When Dogs Do Their Jobs: Funny Stories, Touching Stories

Q

Comments (10)
    As everyone knows, beagles make excellent watch dogs and really horrible guard dogs. A man and his 3 or 4 year old son were walking by down our alley. My beagle started braying and spiking up because they had stopped to look at her. We went out and the man was laughing at her, and so was the kid. He asked his kid if he wanted to see the puppy and picked the kid up. Well as soon as the kid was up higher and she could see him better, she bolted. She was terrified. Came to stand behind my legs and bark and shake with her tail between her legs. The man and his son left, and I'll be darned if she didn't spend the rest of the night trying to 'track' the man and his son. She kept going back to the spot where they stood, sniffing the fence and following it all the way to where it meets the neighbors fence, over and over. I can't help but laugh at her, cause I know if she ever finds anything she's been trying to track, she'll tuck her tail and run the other way. She'd be the worst hunting beagle ever, I think. But she tries to do her job, thats for sure.
    ...See More
  • C F
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Such interesting experiences from everyone! Nope, everyone involved definitely spoke English. When I say "older" I would say mid-60s and "younger" is mid-30s. The younger couple didn't have their food yet when we left (you put your little placard up and wait for your food to arrive).

I will try to be more open-minded about this, but I just don't know how I would handle it if it happens to us! I've definitely shared tables at restaurants known to be communal or where the seating is all benches or picnic tables. Just never at a normal Panera Bread/Corner Bakery-style place.

• Georgysmom
    8 years ago

In a restaurant with table clothes and where you are seated, I guess I would prefer not to share, but at a Panera's or such type place, we do it all the time. It can be fun meeting new people.

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

There's at least one busy restaurant here that encourages that. No surprise but the clientele is from all over the world, and we locals love to strike up conversations with the tourists.

But it's not a new idea. In the 50's my father's step-mother (who was the one Grandmother I had) owned a breakfast/lunch coffee shop in downtown Memphis. It was always packed at lunch, and from her place at the front door/register, she would direct customers to empty seats. Not tables, seats. No one thought twice about it, it was expected.

• OklaMoni
    8 years ago

CF, where are you in Oklahoma? Maybe we should meet? ;)

Moni

• lucillle
    8 years ago

A lot depends on circumstance, to me there is no 'one answer fits all', it depends on the type of restaurant, and how expensive the meal is, who you are with, who sits down (remember the screaming baby thread?), if there are in fact other tables available.

In a casual place it might be fun.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I'd smile and say, "Have a seat." I'd start a conversation, and as long as they were polite and didn't answer with grunts, I'd be OK with it.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Not a problem with me at all under most conditions, and Robert is enormously friendly and approachable. I can understand that it could be off putting for a lot of people, though.

• C F
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    This is a panera style place where you seat yourself.

Moni, I'm in Tulsa area.

I am learning I must be a lot less social than most other people! I am not excited about including strangers in my meal conversations!
  • janey_alabama
    8 years ago

When we see some one waiting for a table we always invite them to sit with us.

• matti5
    8 years ago

I generally have no problems with it, as I've met some wonderful people. When DH and I traveled through Europe several years ago, we are still in touch with people we met sharing tables. There are exceptions and one is when I get together with a friend that I only see and catch up with every few months. That time is special to us. We've only had it happen once and the person asking to sit with us was very understanding.

• phyllis__mn
    8 years ago

DD and I did an Amtrak trip a few years ago, and decided the best part was eating with different people all the time!

• User
    8 years ago

We regularly do what the 30 yr old couple did and we have often welcomed others who need seats to sit with us. If appropriate, we've ended up conversing with our table mates and have had some nice conversations.

• happy2b…gw
    8 years ago

In my neck of the woods, sharing tables is quite common in Starbucks, Panera's. However, the question asked is "Do you mind sharing or Do you mind if we sit here?" It is okay to say not but most of the time it is fine. If someone asks if anyone is sitting in chairs, it means that the person asking wants to move the chairs to another table.

• ruthieg__tx
    8 years ago

Happens in my area often. Some of the BBQue places have tables where you have to share ....as in picnic tables lines up 4 or 5 down the length of the room.

• stacey_mb
    8 years ago

I have joined other people at tables several times, although when I was alone and the other person seated alone at a table. I always ask, do you mind if I join you. I was taken a little aback, though, at using a non-gender specific restroom at a restaurant in Venice. Both men and women were lined up for the single bathroom and it turned out to be a perfectly OK experience.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Where it's always done here is at Costco. There aren't enough tables when people want to buy the hotdog special at lunch. We often ask if we can share a couple's table. We did it just last week and had the nicest conversation with them!

There is a huge family restaurant in Frankenmuth, Michigan where it's all family style dining. You pass the bowls of food around and it's all strangers sitting together.

• User
    8 years ago

Right-Costco. I forgot about that. It's tacitly agreed upon that if people are using one end of a bench table, the other end is up for grabs.

• pattico_gw
    8 years ago

we always set across the table from each other. ...I like to see who I am talking to...and if Im setting on same side I get a crick in the neck. and I put my coat and purse on one of the empty seats....no problem for us.

• Suzieque
    8 years ago

"This is a panera style place where you seat yourself."

Oh, I completely misunderstood. I guess I glossed over the part that said it's a bagel cafe.

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    8 years ago

This is the norm in many areas. I think it goes to population. I had experienced it in Europe first I think. Then in Chicago, New York, Miami, Denver, and several other large cities. It shows that Tulsa and Oklahoma City have grown. It wouldn't bother me.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Looks like the clue to table sharing is whether this is 'fine dining' (not OK) or casual (OK).

• eld6161
    8 years ago

I wouldn't mind others sharing if the restaurant was very crowded and this was the only available spot. DH and I have asked if we could use two available seats, when needed.

For the most part though, if I am out having breakfast with DH, I really would not be interested in sharing a table. There are many variations: 1.You are having a quiet conversation and really don't want others hearing it. 2. You are both involved in your own thoughts and don't want to talk to each other or strangers. 3. You are not interested in hearing a stranger's conversation.

I think when traveling, it might be fun, and I do feel more social in those situations.

We have a Le Quotidian, that has a long communal table. The idea is for singles to sit there and perhaps socialize with other singles.

• nanny98
    8 years ago

Perfectly fine on the West Coast, I think. It has never bothered me. I love meeting people and exchanging ideas or just listening to their thoughts.

• pudgeder
    8 years ago

It didn't USE to bother me until.....

We had this happen at a breakfast diner not to long ago.

The place was packed. DH & I sat down at a 4 person table, all that was available. Another man came along and "joined" us. Definitely put a damper on the conversation DH & I were having.

Apparently this guy was well known and quite popular as people kept stopping by to greet & visit with him. They stood w/their backs to us and we got to look at their backsides while we ate our breakfast. Not the best breakfast we've had.

Next time someone asked if they could "join" us, we told them we were waiting on someone.

• plllog
    8 years ago

Crossed with Ellendi and Pudgeder and this is not in response to the above posts.

My reaction is the same as Happy2b's. Asking if anyone is sitting there is, for open seating in a movie theatre, to sit down, but in a casual restaurant is about taking the chairs to another table. "May we join you?" is for sitting at the same table. If there are other open spots, it's possible to say no by saying, "We're having an important conversation. Would you mind sitting over there instead?" If it's the last spot left, it's probably not a good place to talk anyway, and churlish to refuse.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

Pudge, your story reminds of when DH and i were on vacation. We were having dinner at an upscale restaurant. While on our appetizers, a young women stopped to talk to the couple next to us. We were close enough to hear the conversation and it didn't look like she was moving on to her own table.

Finally, my DH called over the waiter and asked if this woman could either join her friends or move on! The waiter thanked us as he was nervous to approach the women. After all she is a customer and his tip could be at stake.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

Robert was having lunch at the university cafeteria one day late last fall and "picked up" (my words) a young Army officer eating alone. He was in Huntsville for several weeks for some advanced training, staying in the hotel on campus and attending the required classes.

Robert saw him another time and joined him, and we ended up spending several nice times with him showing him the area, going fishing, etc. We met his unbelievably precious family....four boys under the age of 6, each like a carbon copy of the others, only smaller.

We've gained life long friends now, a real connection was made. All because of a shared table in the cafeteria.

• lily316
    8 years ago

I practically live at Panera, and this is the situation there. We often sit beside people, but usually don't carry on conversations other than hello. What makes me angry is when ONE person sits in a booth for six using their phone or laptop with an empty cup in front of them thus depriving five other people of seating.

• User
    8 years ago

Yes, camping is not cool when there are other paying patrons waiting to sit down.

• rgreen48
    8 years ago

C F, I don't think it's a good measure of your, or any person's sociability, rather it's a matter of cultural expectations. It's about the when, and how socialization is considered appropriate. That 'appropriateness' is a completely learned-behavior. It's often most 'allowed' when you are exposed to such events during youth.

Just as an example, half of my family is Italian, and every Sunday the entire family went over Great Grandma's for dinner. Those meals (really all of them, but these were on the average of 15 people sitting at 2 tables) were raucous occasions lasting all afternoon and into the late evenings. It was The Proper Place to air family grievances, laugh about our weekly faux pas', and share our embarrassments. Nothing was held back except the shameful... those were whispered to the 'needed to know' during cooking and cleaning up lol.

It was just something our family considered normal. But when any of our friends who weren't Italian joined us, they were completely overwhelmed lol. At first they thought we were angry at each other, getting loud, challenging, light insults... and they would ask if they were intruding at a delicate time. It was almost a family sport to first try to draw them out a little, then to rib and make them fight back just a little, then to show them it was all in fun and they were to join in.

It was only later did I realize that some families ate quietly and subjects quite tame for our standards were 'off-limits' at the dinner table.

These things have little to do with how 'social' someone is, or even how outgoing... just to what we are accustomed or exposed.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I remember a seafood place in Boston where you were expected to share table space. But overall, unless up there, or, say at Panera's or another chain, I wouldn't be comfortable in most cases.

However we do have one farm to table restaurant here, which has a really long table and before anyone gets seated there, they get asked if they mind sharing the space. This is fine by me. I think in such situations (which are no means the norm) sharing conversation as well turns out to be fun. But one needs to be notified before being seated at such a spot.

It's actually enjoyable to talk to people at sushi bars, too -- when you are purposely planning for sitting at the bar itself. It's a common ground.

But one doesn't really know aforehand if the the other people at that table are wanting to engage in personal discussion/conversation -- so this has definitely to be played by a severe sense of intuition/ear.

• carol_in_california
    8 years ago

I love meeting new people!

• C F
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lily316-- that is one of my biggest pet peeves!!! And it happens the most at Panera-- someone comes in with a laptop, takes a huge booth, and sits there for hours just sipping a beverage while the lunch crowd is left struggling for seating. There was this one guy at my local Panera who would be taking a coveted booth every Sunday and he wouldn't even buy anything! He would sit there with (no joke) a 2L bottle of Coke that he brought in. I was so shocked the staff never made him leave.

I agree, ellendi6161-- being on vacation presents a different situation. Although arguably, there's probably someone who's local when you're the one on vacation. I am so thrilled with any alone time I get with my husband (he works a lot) that when we're out to eat, we are not looking to make new friends. In fact, chances are that we're catching up on what we missed in each other's weeks. It is quite useful to know that there are so many people open to this seating arrangement, though. I am going to keep an eye out for whether this was a one-off thing at this particular restaurant or not. Then I'll know to avoid the restaurant if we can't get a table for 2! :)

• chisue
    8 years ago

For the restaurant, it's all about the bottom line. (Oops, a pun!) The more seats taken, the more profit for the restaurant -- and tips for the wait staff.

• plllog
    8 years ago

CF, that's very bad! This isn't allowable by the manners in some parts of the country, but if the management weren't taking care of the problem, a customer would, here. "Excuse me, sir, we have a party of eight here and this is the only table big enough to squeeze into. Since you aren't eating, will you please move to another table?" Then stand there and stare at him until he moves. :) OTOH, he might be the owner, so it pays to be polite. :)

• eld6161
    8 years ago

Places like Panera's or Starbucks almost encourage the "camping" philosophy of it's customers. Some use them as their "office" rather than working from home. When someone walks in, the place looks busy and lively.

However, some do have rules. There is a Starbucks near a high school. They discourage the store being used as a hangout. Only those actually buying something can sit at a table. Otherwise, the kids just took over and there weren't enough seats for the paying customers.

Our local Panera's went out of business. We frequented the store and I don't know why it didn't make it.

• plllog
    8 years ago

When I was in grad school, I used to drive close to where I'd have to be off campus while the driving (and parking) was good, rather than risk being late, and camp in a fast food restaurant reading offprints and other turgid academic literature. It was great because there was enough noise and activity to make me focus on the boring, poorly written material, but not enough to make it impossible to read, and I always bought at least something to drink. Free refills was another benefit of the fast food place. The difference being, this wasn't at peak meal times and if the place were filling up, I'd leave so that someone else could sit. At a proper restaurant with a host and managed seating, I'll also encourage my party to leave, rather than linger, if they have a crowd waiting, or if the vacuum comes out (you can bet they want you to leave if they start the cleaning!). Being aware of one's surroundings and considerate of others isn't hard.

• User
    8 years ago

I'm in Madison, WI. It's becoming a trendy thing to utilize "cafeteria" style seating in some restaurants, usually among younger folks. I don't enjoy it in the least (but I'm an introvert who needs my space.) I particularly dislike it when I am paying top dollar for a fancy meal at a very expensive restaurant and discover upon arrival that the venue has cafeteria style seating. This happened at a fancy wild mushroom dinner at "L' etoile" several years ago.

I have always "okayed" someone sharing a table with me at a crowded Starbucks, because seating is at a premium and people mostly just read the paper or their phones, so no biggie.

So, I think this is a generational thing. Younger folks are used to it, older folks are used to their space, especially in the midwest.

• msgenie51642
    8 years ago

I have never been in a situation where it is even hinted that I should share a table, so this is all very interesting to me. Unfortunately, I'm older (68) and since I'm a lone widow, this could happen to me. I don't think I would mind sharing my table if the people involved were sociable. I don't go to very fancy restaurants (too expensive), so that is not an issue. I do like to meet new people and I think it could be very interesting!

• colleenoz
    8 years ago

DH and I are in our mid-50s and have shared tables both at home and while we're travelling. In crowded cafes either we've asked if we could have the spare seats at someone already seated's table, or we've invited people who are obviously looking for a seat to make use of our spare seats. We've even changed our seats around to make room for others. We don't necessarily start up a conversation with the other people beyond a few remarks, but it wouldn't occur to us to refuse to share if the place was crowded.

On a similar note, we were in a tiny indie cinema with three long (about 10 or 12 seats) row of seats across the space. Being so small, and the movie quite popular, it was pretty well full, in fact there were only two seats left, one at either end of the row DH and I were sitting in (I was next to one of the empty seats).

In walked a couple, obviously nonplussed at the potential seating disaster. So I called to the rest of the people in the row, "Could everyone please move down one seat so these people can sit down?" Everyone seemed ready to do just that until the lady sitting at the opposite end announced she couldn't move down one because the seat next to her was (for some reason) higher than the others (by about 4") and if she sat in it her feet wouldn't touch the floor. So I said "Well then, everybody move up one, I'll sit in the wretched seat and DH can sit next to me and that will leave two seats at this end for these people."

So we all moved, I got the high seat which, even though I have short legs, wasn't really that bad- I certainly didn't notice it. But the lady who didn't want to move would not shut up about it! All through the movie, she kept muttering to her friend things along the lines of "Well, I couldn't move, my feet just wouldn't have touched the floor!" etc. I felt like saying, for Pete's sake, give it a rest already! Problem solved! Everyone happy! (well, except her, I guess).

• User
    8 years ago

Years ago in NY city. I was there on business, my partner and I were eating lunch at a tiny cafe when a youngish man sat down at our table. We were fine with that until he lite up a smoke without asking if we were ok with that. We were visiting from CA were it had been illegal to smoke in restaurants for a long while and we had no idea it was still allowed in NYC... absolute gross out.....

• llucy
    8 years ago

It would never occur to me to ask to join a couple at a 4 top. I would assume they wanted their privacy as I would want mine. What is the big deal about waiting for a table to become available? I don't see a table for 4 and cafeteria seating being at all the same thing.

• User
    8 years ago

All through the movie, she kept muttering to her friend things along the lines of "Well, I couldn't move, my feet just wouldn't have touched the floor!" etc. I felt like saying, for Pete's sake, give it a rest already! Problem solved! Everyone happy! (well, except her, I guess.

Well, you sort of pried her out of her seat! Sounds like her choices were to move upon your public urging, or look like a mean shrew.

Your good intentions notwithstanding, of course.

• joyfulguy
    8 years ago

I fail to see much validity to short legs fussing - she didn't want to move to the high seat next to her ... she didn't have to: she got a seat at the level that she desired.

Don't tell me that her shoes were glued to the floor where she was and she had to leave them behind!?

ole joyfuelled

• User
    8 years ago

Oh my, who made you the seat assigner and arbiter of where this woman should choose to sit? She came and got a seat and you apparently shamed her out of it.

Again, you hardly gave a choice to the woman who got there earlier then you, and earlier than the couple for whom you made the fuss.

I would have dropped the issue and not pressed as you did is my point. I think you acted bossy, despite your inner monologue which continues to praise your actions as noble.

Also, as a person who's not comfortable sitting without her feet supported, I can fully understand the woman's reluctance. I also fully understand how you chipped away at her enjoyment of a movie experience she paid money for.

Her shoes were as much glued to the floor as you were the seat police.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    8 years ago

I would feel uncomfortable if someone joined us at our table. I guess I just don't go where that is common practice.

Sue

• colleenoz
    8 years ago

mimi, you misunderstand. The "fussy" lady ended up one seat to her right, in a seat identical to the one she had originally chosen. Same height, same everything. _I_ took the objectionable seat. She was not discommoded or inconvenienced except in that she spent about 10 seconds moving one seat over. And in fact got a slightly better view of the screen since she was moving away from the extreme left towards the middle. At no point did I try to shame her into taking what she felt was an uncomfortable seat and the instant she indicated she couldn't sit in it I said "Fine, I'll take it." So really, there was no reason for her to have spent so much time justifying herself to her friend.

• Rudebekia
    8 years ago

I would consider it rude if someone joined a table I was sitting at, and I'd get up and switch if they didn't get the message. It is just not done around here unless you count the outdoor tables at a local German restaurant where people sit together "family style," or at other extremely informal events like picnics. That said I've been in European countries where is happened naturally, was expected, and felt charming. Just not done here; not a cultural thing here so would feel almost confrontational.