SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ng622

creepy/funny neighbor stories

ng622
16 years ago

I've read a number of posts here which really had me laughing, so I thought it might be neat to start a post where everyone could relate some funny stories so I'll have something to read while I am bored at work. I'll start with this one.

The house next to us was being rented out to a number of chinese guys whom I believed worked in several of the local chinese restaurants. It seemed there must have been at least 8 of them in a small 4-bedroom house. None of them appeared to speak english and none made any attempt to speak/socialize with my family though we were frequently outside. During the winter when it snowed, it seemed that none of them had any gloves or boots so they would wrap their hands and feet with plastic bags to shovel. One would shovel for about ten minutes, then another guy would come out and the first guy would take off the bags and pass them to the second guy who would shovel, and so on until the walk was clear.

I had attempted on several occasions to catch someone's eye to talk while we were all outside, but it seemed they were making a point of avoiding everyone. Later that spring, one of them got a car--they all had bikes up until that time. These guys smoked a lot and started emptying the car ashtry in the driveway which was right next to our property line. My kids would sometimes pick these up and they would blow in my yard. I tried to speak with one of the guys and ask them to stop, but they continued to avoid us. One day, I called the realtor who had put the house up for rental to see if she could speak to these guys. The next morning, we didn't see anyone in the house. Apparently, they had all cleared out overnight. It turns out the realtor called the owner who called her lawyer who speakes chinese to speak to these guys and he just left them a message. We later learned that the message the lawyer left was just to call him. I suspect they were here illegally and must have thought that INS was about to raid the house. I am still trying to explain to my kids (ages 7 and 4) what happened to all those guys who just disappeared--they thought the boogeyman came and got them!!

Anyone else have any stories to share??

Comments (14)