SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missyreinhart

What do I ask of the contractor who did a poor job on my oak floor?

missyreinhart
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We had our hardwood white oak floors refinished (and about 200 sq. feet added to replace old carpet in the living room) last week. The contractor was carefully selected from Angie's List with excellent reviews. They showed up on time, were very professional and pleasant. I know next to nothing about harwood floors which is why we hired a professional. Everything was going great until the final coat of water-based finish on Friday. As soon as I was able to walk on the floor, I noticed the floors were very wavy. This was what I first spotted upon walking toward the hearth/dining/kitchen from the living room:

Then when I got to the kitchen island, between the island and the sink this is what I spotted:

and more of the same:

Here's a shot of me holding a level over some of these "dents" or "waves" (as I've been referring to them):

(Kitchen)

(Hall)

So I started looking for more and what I found just broke my heart! These dent/gouges/grooves are ALL OVER. Even in the living room with the newly laid wood.

(Living room, newly laid wood)

It also looks like every place they stopped a run with the drum sander near the walls or cabinets, there's a deep indent.

So my questions are:

A) What caused the waves? The guy doing my floor said he'd been doing this for 20+ years, but he did have a helper who'd been doing it less than a year. I didn't pay attention to who ran the drum sander - I wasn't there most of the time.

B) Is this spot-fixable, or is it a scrap-and-redo? If it's a redo, can this wood be salvaged, or should I demand new wood?

C) I did also notice chatter marks (lines perpendicular to the grain of the wood). They are not *terrible* but are noticeable. How much of this is normal and how much is sloppy workmanship?

We get taken for a ride by just about every contractor we work with - whether we get them by word of mouth from friends, by Angie's List, or from the phone book. Which is why we usually do most work ourselves and live with the "DIY"ness of it. I REFUSE to settle for DIY quality when I am paying close to $4,000 for these floors. Help me know what to say to my contractor and how hard I need to push! They already tried the "we noticed lots of settling in your floor" and "it's the joists because your heavy island sits there" and "I'm not really sure what you're talking about" over the phone. Hubby is out of town and I am refusing to meet with the contractor until my hubs can be there (Thursday of this week) but don't want the delay to meet to be construed as acceptance of the product. Please help!!!

The chatter isn't showing up so well in this evening light, but I am able to see it here.

Comments (9)