SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliekriley

How can I make my job appealing to contractors?

J R
7 years ago

First off, let me acknowledge we have probably messed up but we're looking for ideas on how to move forward. After getting multiple quotes on a remodel of our 9X12 kitchen, we thought the price and look of Ikea cabinets was the right fit.

Part of our design is to remove a wall and turn it into a peninsula with sink. We decided to open the wall to see what was there before finalizing everything. We found a drain pipe from the master bath upstairs, in addition to pipes for the kitchen sink. When we asked our Ikea (Traemand) assigned contractor to estimate what that would cost to move, they didn't respond for 2 weeks.

When they finally did, they said they couldn't move the pipe without creating a soffit. The house two doors down (made by the same builder with the same design) took down their wall and moved the pipe without a soffit. Also, a plumber came by and told us he could move the pipe without a soffit, but never sent the full quote.

Long story short, we're realizing our ikea contractor doesn't seem that capable, so we freaked out and decided not to hire them. We couldn't find another "ikea-friendly" contractor before the sale ended, so we bought the cabinets and countertop last week anyway. We also already bought the appliances.

Now we're looking for a contractor to help us demo the existing kitchen, move the pipe in the wall, plumb an island, and run a small pipe under the floor to connect water to the fridge. Since we're not buying cabinets, and the job is smaller than a bigger kitchen reno, I don't think the job is appealing to most GCs.

What can we do to make it appealing? Is there any way we could reach out to a good GC and pay them to coach us through the process of hiring subs if it's a job they don't have the time to take? Has anyone else hired different contractors to fix the plumbing/walls/floors in the kitchen before hiring a different contractor to install Ikea cabinets? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (5)