SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brian_stults

Sink plumbing roughed in too high? Problem?

Brian S
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My GC is telling me this isn't a problem, but he contracted out the plumbing, and I know zilch about plumbing myself...so I thought I'd ask the experts!

I'm having a kitchen reno done. The plumbing was roughed in with the center of the drain height about 15.5" above the floor and the water supply lines at 24" off the floor (both to the centers of the lines). The supply line copper pipes are currently sticking out about 6" from the cabinet. They're just capped off--no valves yet.

It will be a 10" deep undermount sink (32"x18") going into a standard height cabinet.

The countertop people are supposed to come out this week to do the template, and the GC's plan is to have the plumber come in AFTER the countertop and sink are in place.

This doesn't make sense to me. By the time you factor in the insulation and drain on the sink sitting a little lower, the sink would practically be sitting on top of the supply lines. I don't see how there's room to put valves there right now, and if the pipes need to be angled down to put those valves on, that seems like the work risks doing damage to the underside and insulation of the sink.

What does the GC know that I don't? Or is this wrong and needs to be fixed before the countertop stuff happens?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!