SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aquinski

Need help determining what type of UPS and whole house surge protector

aquinski
8 years ago

First, I'm a homeowner with no background in electrical wiring. We are having issues with a fridge and freezer (separate units) after momentary power outages. We have a very good whole house generator (Generac 20KW) that was installed 2 years ago that handles the prolonged outages just fine. The issue we're having is created by the brief, momentary outages that come and go too quickly for the Generac to kick in. Our fridge and freezer don't reset automatically and have to have the power shut off, then back on again at the fuse box to resume cooling (they each have their own dedicated fuse).

Obviously this is a serious problem if we're not here to manually reset them, and we've already had to throw out everything in our fridge twice.
We'd like to install a UPS to protect our appliances from those momentary surges, as well as a whole house surge protector to prolong the life of our electronics.

I'm assuming that the surge protector would not also cover the issue that we're having with the appliances, hence the need for the UPS. Is that correct?

Can someone please help educate me on what the best type of UPS would be to invest in, as well as the whole house surge protector. Do you know anything about or had experience with the UPS devices sold on nooutage.com, and are there others that you'd recommend? I believe that we have 120 amp service (will verify that) and we also have a subpanel that serves the kitchen appliances.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (16)