SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abbyhjoy

evaluating lot - estimates for septic, well, foundation

AbbyJoy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, my husband and I are at very beginning stage of possibly building, as we have not found existing house we want in 2 1/2 years! We built our current 3300 sf custom home in 2000 - passive solar, geo-thermal, Energy Star, advanced framing etc. and now looking to downsize and do a "budget" build. We're looking in very desirable area in Lake Norman area of Charlotte (East Lincoln County).

We found beautiful 2 ac. lot at great price, relatively flat but slopes from road toward back, and left to right. There are a few rock outcroppings and visible rock at soil surface, but no slope in the building area over 10% - good for this area! We're worried how much rock is below. A septic permit was pulled in 2007, it shows an area next to road suitable for septic, then house site in back of that, then well site downhill behind house site. Rest of property outside the indicated septic field is "unsuitable". I'm checking to see if I can get more info from County on soil types and test locations. Ideally we'd like to know estimates to get water to house, if septic would require a pump, and type/estimate for foundation before we make an offer. We'll ask for 60 day due diligence period.

I guess a surveyor could do a topo? Who do we hire to get info on alternative septic location and costs for septic and water? Could that same person give us estimate on cost-effective foundation? We prefer slab or at least one ground level entry on a partial crawl space. How many consultants do we need to hire?

If we move forward I'll be asking many more questions and look forward to the wisdom from the many generous and smart folks in this forum. Thank you!

Comments (8)