SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leland_78

Help evaluating and cutting cost in our estimate

leland_78
7 years ago

Hello All,

I've appreciated the advice that you guys have offered during the layout planning of our home. We've finally reached a point where we are evaluating the estimate and needless to say we are in shock.

Our total under roof sq footage is 3660 sq ft. The total heated is 2183 sq ft. The total cost is $275,000 and is way more than we were expecting. If you just calculate heated square foot that comes out to $125 / sqft. Having no real experience with the cost of building a home it would help us a lot to get some feedback from you guys on what items on our estimate seem overpriced.

Also, to give a little more information our situation, my FIL is a framing contractor so he will be doing the framing, siding and trim work. He is also helping us select the electrical, plumbing, foundation, etc contractors. A friend of his and ours will the general contractor but will have a minor role in the process. He also created the estimate for us / bank. My FIL is also reviewing the estimate to find areas where we can save since he is doing a lot of the work.

Some other info that might be helpful:

-Chimney and front foundation will have a rock veneer. The rest of the foundation will be brick.

-Siding will be vinyl.

-Wood floors in the living room, kitchen, dining room and master bedroom.

-Carpet in the additional bedrooms. Tile in the bathrooms and mud room.

I have attached the layout and the estimate . Thank you for any advice you can give.

Comments (23)