SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veggirl123

Kitchen Layout Critique Request

Lisa
8 years ago

I’m attaching the current elevations from the Ikea kitchen planner. (Don't worry we will not put the wall cabinets on top of the window!) I am fighting with the planner a bit, so I made a floor plan in AutoCAD with proper measurements and some notes on what is what.

Details:

• Updating our kitchen with new cabinets, appliances, etc. The layout must fit into the same footprint as the current kitchen. So we can't really move the peninsula. (The floor is different underneath.)
  • We will be using Ikea Sektion cabinets with custom door/drawer fronts, and we are limited to their cabinet sizes. We want the corner cabinets with lazy susans which are both 38 inches on both sides. We are using one of those in each corner of the U.
  • We will be doing the work ourselves but are handy enough that we can move appliances a little bit from our current configuration. However the sink will be staying by the window. The refrigerator needs to be next to the large pantry and the cooktop and oven/microwave will be staying on the current wall.
  • We are only two adults living here, but extended family is here often and there are times when two people are working in the kitchen at the same time. I’m thinking one person can be on each side of the sink when that happens.

Our issues:

1) We are mostly happy with the layout with the exception of where to put garbage and dishwasher. But if you notice any glaring problems with the rest of it, I’d love to hear about them now!

2) Our dishwasher is currently at the end of the peninsula. I don’t like it there because it is far from the sink. I wanted to put it to the left of the sink, since that will be close to our plate/glass/silverware storage. However if we do that, there is only about 18 inches to stand and put things away. I think that would be too tight. The d/w door open would probably hit the drawers also. (We plan to put those in the 30” cabinet on the peninsula.) We moved it to the right of the sink which means it’s not next to where things will be put away. I think that is ok, because at least they will dry and clean by then.

3) We want a pull out garbage, and wanted it where the D/W will go. Currently it is in the peninsula and that gets annoying when people are over. There is a lot of asking people to move when you need to get in there.

We are considering putting it in the 24” cabinet in between the sink and the corner cabinet. We only have 28" in between sink and corner cabinet – not enough to really do two cabinets and have one be the garbage. The Sketion cabinets have a 24” waste/recycle set up, but the cans are HUGE, which we do not need or want. It seems wasteful to use that entire cabinet for the garbage/recycling, so we are thinking about trying to set up a pull out underneath the left side of the sink.

We will be doing a large one bowl sink with an offset drain. We need to have a Reverse Osmosis system there but we won’t have a garbage disposal, so there should be room to have all plumbing on one side and garbage on the other. I’m not sure we want the garbage under the sink, but again, don’t know if I want to give up that 24” drawer cabinet there either.

We can put the recycling in the larger pantry. I don’t want to put the garbage in there because I want it easily accessed while cooking.

Wow, that was long! Sorry. Just trying to give you the facts as they stand. I'm open to any ideas/feedback. Thanks!

Comments (10)