SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marsia

taking out asphalt for Riga greenhouse and also gopher proofing it

marsia
8 years ago

I am about to get a Riga XL greenhouse, but first need to take out the old asphalt driveway to prevent leaching of oil-based products. Does anyone know how much soil to remove so that I don't have contaminated soil? It is heavy clay soil. I plan to plant directly into the ground.

Also we have gophers, so I am thinking of burying chicken wire that is stitched together with wire so the gophers don't just dig underneath and get into the greenhouse. Has anyone gopher-proofed a greenhouse, and if so, what did you do?

I plan to make a stem wall out of mortared urbanite (old broken concrete) and do a 20" door extension so the ceiling height is good for a couple of miniature fruit trees (banana, lemon, and lime). I was thinking I would just make the urbanite wall extend into the ground, and at the bottom there would be the chicken wire maybe mortared in place sandwiched between the first couple of layers of urbanite. Does this seem reasonable?

Also, I live in zone 8b. Does anyone know if I really need a greenhouse heater or is that kind of redundant? It gets around 20 degrees here very occasionally, mostly the lowest of the lows in winter are around 30 degrees.

I have never gardened in a greenhouse before so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!! Do you garden a lot more with your greenhouse than before you had it?

Comment