SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

I'm going to entitle my memoirs "Cats: Why We Can't Have Nice Things"

IdaClaire
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Just a spin-off from my earlier post (re adding a table to my foyer), and before anyone jumps in to chastise me for my silly subject line and accuse me of being anti-cat, know with certainty that that's simply not the case. If I were anti-cat, at least one of them that has been a part of my life for well over a decade would be long gone by now, as she's a destructive little stinker. (But I do adore her.) I just got to thinking about how much of my décor is influenced by the other living beings with whom I share my home (DH included), and wondered how you too might make decorating decisions based upon what is least likely to be shredded / puked, peed, or pooped on / knocked over and broken / crushed or crashed -- or have any other method of ruin inflicted upon it.

Or, if you prefer, just share a laundry list of things that have been destroyed by the creatures who share your space! ;-) Some of us must kid-proof, and some of us pet-proof. Some of us do both and then some.

(I think we may have addressed this topic back before this place was associated with houzz, but hey - new posters, new destructive beings sharing our homes, so why not do it again.)

My Molly-cat is intent on digging out fibers of my wool rug, bit by bit, day by day. We have tried everything we know to do to get this behavior to stop - but she's a rug scratcher, and that's all there is to it. At close to 12 years of age, she's not likely to curtail her behavior, so I'm resigned to vacuuming up those bits of wool that she digs up daily with the realization that someday I'll have to replace that rug. I had actually toyed with (and truth be known, am still toying with) the thought of buying a polypro rug along the lines of aktillery's, as Molly has never been known to shred polypro. But the current wool rug is so far gone in places that I may as well just leave it and let it go, bit by bit, day by day. (Thanks, Molly. But when she jumps into my lap and settles in for her morning and evening cuddles, my annoyance disappears and she has my heart again.)

Yesterday when I arrived home from work and went into the master bathroom, "someone" had knocked my beautiful big spiral seashell that I picked up on holiday into the acrylic tub (from the window ledge) and broke the end off the shell. I was thankful that at least the tub wasn't scratched. I suppose that was my own fault for not using quake putty, the cat owner's friend.

"Someone" has also been ripping leaves off my potted Chinese evergreen. "Someone" is fortunate that I took the time to ensure that we aren't living with toxic indoor plants. ;-)

I've been looking online for a nightlight today, and have found myself considering whether or not the cats will break certain ones as they will inevitably rub/scent anything protruding from the wall.

One of the reasons we chose plantation shutters for our new home was the desire to be free from fur-attracting fabric at the windows. Oh, I still love the look of curtains, but in our previous home they were furtains, no matter how much we tried to keep them clean. So far the shutters have been practically zero maintenance (just a light Swiffering).

I am also finally learning to decorate in a more spare manner because DH is a lot larger than I am and his spatial experience is different than mine. He just takes up a lot more space than I do, and is thus uncomfortable when there are too many items clustered (cluttered) in an area. I don't know why it took me so long to realize that he wasn't being ugly when he said he didn't like "all these things everywhere". They didn't bother me, but he experienced them differently because he's in a differently built body! Now that I get that, I decorate with his comfort in mind too.

How about you? Anything to share?

Comments (150)