SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sustainabee

Need advice on these varieties if you've grown them!

sustainabee
8 years ago

I'm working on organizing a ridiculous number of plants this year and have fewer beds ready than I'd like. I'm working on making more beds but in the mean time, I'm planning on 3 types of plant per bed, more if there's room. I'd like anyone's experience with the following, soil type, what time they planted, how much/when you harvested, did you collect seed, did they reseed themselves, cover them for winter, grown in pots, companion plants, pest problems, and any other interesting notes. I've looked into all these varieties but it's hard to find personal anecdotes from local gardeners. I know this is a lot. I might not be able to plant everything I want but I am hoping for the best. I really only NEED to harvest enough of each for me and my boyfriend but I WANT enough to share with everyone i know. :) I've been amending the soil with expanded shale, compost and garden soil. I've made a few hundred square feet worth of raised beds so far, separated into several 8x4x3 beds, 6x4x2 beds and 7x7x2 and they're on drip irrigation. I get a ready source of wood chips that I've been spreading out as garden pathways about a foot deep after it's compacted. I built up the wood chip borders so the raised beds have more protection. I've heard mixed things about sawdust but I can get aged stuff from the cabinet maker next door and the stuff he dropped in the woods last time has worms all in it (that I didn't put there) so that's encouraging.
So here goes..

Amaranth, Molten fire and Golden Giant

Malabar

Texas Gourdseed Corn

Baby corn

Texas Sweetcorn

Armenian Cucumber

Mex. Sour Gherkin

Hartman's Yellow Tomato

Ground Cherry*

Alma Paprika (cherry bell pepper)

Violet Sparkle pepper

Friariello Di Napoli (pepper)

Jalepeno (mild)

Tiny Tomatillo

Bowling Red Okra

Hill Country Okra

Roselle
Thai Long Green Eggplant

Rat-tailed Radish

Watermelon Radish

America Spinach

Five Color Silverbeet Chard

Tepary bean

Rice pea Cowpea

Wando Garden pea

Provider Green bean

Thai White seeded long bean

Hidatsa shield figure bean

Luffa gourd

Thai bottle gourd

Butternut-Waltham Squash

PA Dutch Crookneck Squash

Spaghetti Winter Squash

Tatume Squash

Petite Yellow Watermelon

Sakata's Sweet melon

Crane Melon

Kajari Melon

Lemon Balm

Bee balm

Purple Basil

White Sage

Holy Basil

Lemongrass

Chia

Papalo

Soapwort

Feverfew

Calendula

Borage*
Mint (chocolate)*

Nectarine*

Pears*

Peaches*

Plums*

Persimmon*

Concord Grapes*

Contorted Mulberry*

Hairy Vetch

Red/Crimson Clover

Iron and Clay Cowpeas

*These plants/trees are already established.

I plan on using the "Three Sisters" technique with pea-bean/squash-cuke-melon-gourd/corn but am unsure of which varieties will mesh the best. Some of the herbs I intend to keep in pots for use year-round and I'd love to hear if any have worked well for you with that purpose. Some of these I won't be planting until later this year but would like advice on them nonetheless. I was thinking of planting some companions in a bed under my smaller fruit trees as there is loads of sun that gets through if anyone has suggestions. I'd love if I could do a squash-melon-gourd as I have a mess of them on the list but I'm afraid that'd require too much from the soil. I've heard garlic, onion, aromatics are good though.

Also, if anyone would like to add any fruit trees/veggies/herbs I'm missing out on, especially those that require little maintenance and grow well in cedar park/austin WEST of 35. I have several tropical plants not on the list that I take in and out each winter but I'm looking for in-ground. Anyone have success with avocados? Maybe on the south side if I built an overhang/lean to greenhouse?

I apologize for the wall of text. Once I get going with gardening it's hard to slow down. :)

Comments (6)