SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyballz

Review this proposed mix I might use for Fruit Trees (Fruitnut, Al)

happyballz
8 years ago

Something is going on with my horrible in-ground soil( tried growing numerous things and almost everything dies with exception of pineapples, muscadine grapes, apples (still only 2 years though) and select tropical plants) thus I am moving away from it to using pots. I used miracle-grow and 10 to 25 gal pots as a small test and all plants are doing MUCH better than in-ground. (So I assume it might be a drainage, in-soil disease, nutrient deficiency or nematodes that is killing everything not resistant to it/them).

Anyway, I was going to pot up about 20-25 plants in 25 gallon pots and need about 3 yd^3 of potting mix. With these volumes it is not an option to use bagged miracle gro stuff since it would cost around $500 for the amount I need. Plus I might be able to make something better than their mix.

I definitely want to try and stick to what has been suggested around here with Al's mix and what Fruitnut has used for his potted fruit plants.

Things to consider:

1. Potting soil in these 25 gallon pots needs to be able to support plants for about a week between irrigation cycles during high heat ( sometimes I get tied up or just in case I might forget); I will eventually setup drip irrigation but I don't know when yet.

2. Needs to drain well because of Florida's rain season yet not dry-out too fast(see above) in 100 degree heat.

3. Should last for awhile(4+ years?) or would require only additional potting mix added on top if needed before re-potting.

4. Be good for fruit trees.

I plan to fertilize with slow release fertilizer+micro nutrients (Nutricote/Dynamite, Florikote, Suncote etc.) or maybe eventually with solubles in the drip irrigation system.

Here is my mix proposal for review:

3 - parts pine bark fines,

1 - part compost

1 - part sphagnum peat

1 to 2 - parts perlite

and maybe 1 part vermiculite or instead of perlite

This mix comes out to be about $39/ yd^3

Any comments, suggestions? Will this work good for what I require? If not what should I adjust?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting