SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicoleinhsv

Fruit/nut trees for a rocky hillside

nicoleinhsv
15 years ago

I am trying to gather options for fruit and nut trees for a relatively dry, rocky hillside. The land slopes to the south but probably won't get full sun, which is somewhat of a blessing in Alabama. The land is currently forested with ample red buckeye, dogwood, some stunted cedar and another tall straight tree I've yet to identify. There's a hickory nearby but I haven't spotted it yet. Understory natives include crossvine, upright honeysuckle and some delightful trillums. Silty clay, pH is 7.0 (I expect I'll need to bring it down) and organic matter is low. Bedrock is about 20" down.

I am clearing part of the site for a house and thinning the southern corner for a lawn and garden area. Any fruit trees I plant will be terraced so they at least have a flat area for water and nutrient absorption.

The only options I have some up with so far are persimmons, chinquapin or chestnut, and maybe apple trees. Blueberries and hazelnuts are also contenders in the shrub category and blackberries do well everywhere here. Muscadine vines are another local hardy fruit.

We have good local apple orchards which produce quality fruit for cheap, so I'd prefer to find something else.

Any other ideas?

Comments (4)