SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmers_m

are these good test subjects/fruit trees for a CA newbie?

emmers_m
9 years ago

Hello! I've posted occasionally and read compulsively here over the years while I lived in NJ. I've just recently fled to CA to escape the bugs and humidity, and landed perched on a rocky clay hillside in the Sierra foothills just outside Sacramento.

My five steeply sloped acres are going to take a lot of planning and terraforming to turn into the garden/orchard paradise of my intentions, but after the past 7 years of indecisive orcharding in NJ I just have to get started somewhere.

I've found a local nursery with a good selection of Dave Wilson bare roots, and my current plan is to impulse buy 10 trees and plonk them in a line in my front yard next to the street. The intent would be to at least have their timers counting down to fruit while I'm tackling the rest of the property.

My selections are a bit haphazard (some are based on research I did for a zone 6 humid climate, some seem recommended here, some are more arbitrary) so I'd appreciate any feedback on my choices, or alternative selections from the nursery list linked below.

They do seem to work out to give me a really nice harvest season without much overlap, at least on paper. Listed in ripening order:

Craig's Crimson Cherry - chosen for self-fertility and ripening dates.

Harcot Apricot - unfortunately the nursery doesn't list Tomcot, Robada, Orangered, etc. that seem to be favorites here, so chosen for self-fertility and ripening order.

Double Jewel Peach - sounds like it tastes good and is pretty, a bonus for the front yard. If that's not true I will bump it.

Double Delight Nectarine - ditto.

Elberta Peach - have wanted this one (and found it surprisingly hard to find) since Harvestman suggested it for my backyard in NJ. Are there better choices for my new climate?

Hosui Asian Pear

Flavor King Pluot - you all seem to really like this one.

Comice Pear - unfortunately they don't have Harrow Sweet, which I have had a hankering for for years after reading about its precocity here.

Fuji Apple - SO's favorite of the supermarket apples.

Sierra Beauty Apple - I like its history in the area.

Thanks for your comments!

~emmers

Here is a link that might be useful: local nursery bareroot list

Comments (29)