SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caitlin_flegel36

Ficus benjamina has lost over 60% of its leaves since September. Help!

caitlin_flegel36
8 years ago

Got the ficus in excellent condition in September from a local nursery. Had them repot it into new pot before leaving nursery. Brought it home and it has just gone downhill ever since. It is dropping green, healthy looking leaves. They curl a bit before falling and are not yellowing at all. I have moved it a number of times not realizing that it was ill advised. However it was within the same room so I don't think temp or light fluctuated that much as a result. It is not near any sources of cold or heat. I was watering it every couple of weeks when the soil was dry. It is near two windows. One small one above the tree that is west facing and a large one that is south facing. Today I noticed when I water it, there is quite a bit of drain off and it fills the saucer and then the tree would sit in that. I have remedied this by placing the tree pot on top of a wire basket to allow for lots of drainage and no chance of standing water. I have placed a chopstick into the soul about 2-3 inches to test for dryness going forward. There was one whole branch that was complete dead down to the pot that I have pruned away. The bark sloughed off easily at the lower part and smelled of ammonia. Almost like urine. No idea what that indicates. There is new growth at the base of one of the braids and in the canopy as well. However the new leaves also drop. I have read Als entire post of ficus and am leaning towards too infrequent of watering coupled with to much volume of water at each watering. Please help me.

Comments (5)