SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellenar_gw

ficus Benjamina leaves and branches turning brown

ellenar
13 years ago

I bought a ficus tree about 5'3' tall in August. It started loosing leaves at first turning them yellow and I thought it would be cause of the acclimatization so I did not re-pot it until the leaves stopped from falling. It originally came in a 2 gallon pot.

Now the problem is that the middle branches completely dried out and this is continuing. I thought I did not water it enough (once a week or 10 days) so I watered again thoroughly and by draining the excessive water. The leaves still continue to completely dry out in that specific part, first they are not as strong and they look droopy, then they start turning brown and eventually they completely turn brown and crispy. I don't even know what to do with those branches that have no leaves and that seem to have dried out (they are very thick). The humidity is 50% as I bought a humidifier but I did not use it as it shows a normal rate of humidity. The funny thing is that the part of the tree that has less light is still growing and doing better than that part closer to the light (there is no direct sunlight though).

The pot I put it in is a big clay one, had one big hole at the bottom. I put a layer of plebe stones at the bottom before I added all purpose soil, bought at Lowes. The soil is kind of wet when I put my finger into it, close to the root ball so I am not sure what is happening or if I should water my ficus more often. The temperature inside the room is 80 F and outside is around 90F (until today). I put only once in these two months, some coffee as I was told it is a good way to get nitrogen, but I did not fertilize it. At some parts I see new leaves coming out but not many. Please help me to take care of my dying plant and maybe there is something I can do to make it come back. Thanks

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals