SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carlisleliverpool

Ficus benjamina droppiing leaves.

carlisleliverpool
15 years ago

I have had a Ficus benjamina close to a large west facing window for over 18 months, this is its second winter with me... It's been doing well, it's grown from about 1.5ft to 3ft tall in that time. I'm aware that benjamina's do drop leaves and lower leaves have been steadily dropping as the plant grows.

In the last couple of weeks however it has started losing a lot of leaves, specifically from the bottom third, and a few closer to the trunk in the middle third, however there is still quite a lot of new growth in the top third.

I've consulted a book, and it gives a number of possible reasons:

Overwatering/too much fertiliser/too little light/moving plant I have discounted because the plant has been fine in it's environment up till now and watering hasn't increased... also the book describes the symptoms as 'sudden loss of leaves' but doesn't necessarily say the lower leaves.

Natural aging, I've discounted as I think the steady leaf drop before was natural aging, not leaves dropping at this rate.

The symptoms which closest match my plant are 'yellowing leave edges loss of some lower foliage', although my leaves are going yellow all over before dropping. The book gives too possible causes. Underfertilising, or the ominous sounding 'a sign of more serious trouble'.

Anyway... I've put in a liquid fertiliser stick and misted it for good measure. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments (11)