SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angela0205

2 New Soil Tests - comparing soil for green grass vs. yellow grass

angela0205
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

As suggested, I sent off 2 new soil tests to Logan Labs. As you may remember from my post a couple of weeks ago, I'm trying to sort out why we have some yellow areas in our young sod. Here's a link to the original post for your reference:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/3599156/lawn-turning-yellow-caused-by-alkaline-soil-ph-74

I took soil samples from both the yellowest areas and the greenest areas for comparison. The soil in the yellowest areas was very shallow - I was only able to dig down 2"-3" deep before I hit rock.

It appears that the original soil test done by the extension office wasn't too far off on the pH. They measured 7.4 in the yellowest areas, and the test from Logan Labs came back at 7.3 in the same areas. My original concern was that the alkaline pH could be causing the yellowing issues. The pH in the greenest area is 7.1, so I'm not sure whether that's enough of a difference in pH to cause the dramatic yellowing.

Anyway, I look forward to any thoughts you might have about the soil testing. Thanks in advance!

Quick details:

• Location - Springfield, MO
  • Grass type - Fescue/bluegrass mix
  • Installation - Sod was installed in early August 2015 - new construction

Comments (17)