SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boca33434

Trane XL15i vs XL16i

boca33434
8 years ago

I am planning to replace a 14 year old Lennox heat pump with a Trane heat pump. My house (built in 1987) is 2 stories with 1970 sf, including a large great room with a cathedral ceiling. The two floors have 14 registers. In addition to the two floors, the house also has a 1240 sf unfinished basement with 3 registers that always stay closed unless I have the emergency heat on.

My current Lennox system includes a 3 ton compressor and a 3 1/2 ton variable speed air handler (in the basement).

I was planning to install a Trane XL15i heat pump because I wanted Trane's best single stage compressor. I wanted to avoid the XL16i because I thought it had a two-stage compressor and I have read conflicting views about those.

A dealer recently told me that Trane no longer makes the XL15i, which he says has been replaced by the new XL16i, which is now single stage instead of 2 stage.

Is the dealer correct or is the XL15i heat pump still available? (The Trane web page still lists the XL15i)

If it is still available, are there any advantages to the XL15i over the new single stage XL16i?

Thanks for your assistance.

Comments (18)