SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amb04004

New old house - would love input on kitchen design!

Allison B
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This fall I purchased a 1920 craftsman that I just love but that also needs love. I'm preparing to gut the kitchen - adjacent laundry, back entry, and half bath will be involved too. The kitchen is small with three doorways, two large windows, and a chimney. The few cabinets are missing all doors and the countertops are gross. Zero function. Oh, and everything is purple - cabinets included! Photos from when I purchased and design plan are at the end.

I've been working on design plans for a while and would love any input before I order my kitchen. I've chosen off-white Bodbyn cabinets from IKEA (thanks in large part to research here!) with Hammarp oak butcher block countertops. The floor will be replaced with hex tiles and extend into the other rooms listed above - and hopefully have electric radiant heat. I will be closing up the door to the laundry (French door that is actually part of set original to the dining room) and opening a new one in the back entryway. The budget won't allow for removing walls or moving windows, and I am really uninterested in either anyway. The chimney is shown as the blue box in the plan but will be exposed.

Since I can't place the sink under the window, I plan to leave it where it is. I'll be swapping the fridge and range because it's miserable working in that dark corner. This is also why I do not want uppers on the range wall. I plan to use butcher block for open shelving in the corner by the chimney. I'm worried about the space between the pantry and end of the sink cabinet run. I could use 15" cabinets on the end instead... Is that enough space?

There are plans to modify the pantry and refrigerator cabinets so that everything lines up - 80" pantry topped with 15", use 5" drawer at base, 60" door, then 30" door; use two 30" doors for stacked refrigerator cabinets.

I expect the chimney cabinets will have to be modified to fit. Also considering ditching the corner cabinet for drawers and dead space by the chimney...

All advice appreciated!

Comments (26)