SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laheen

New to the group & would love your input on my layout/renovation

laheen
14 years ago

Hello all!

I just discovered the GW kitchen forum and IÂve been reading old threads voraciously for the last two weeks. I feel like IÂve found some kindred spirits. :)

My husband and I are embarking on a complete gut renovation of our kitchen/living room this spring. The current kitchen is tiny & dark, with about 2 ft of usable counter space, so anything would be an improvement, but IÂm hoping to come up with a layout that is as efficient as possible.

IÂm attaching two jpgs  one is the layout of most of the ground floor of our house, including the adjacent pantry & mudroom and the second is a closeup just of my proposed kitchen work area. This layout is pictured with a 36in range and a 30in dish sink, but I havenÂt finalized my choices for either of those yet.

Here are my main questions/concernsÂ

Range vs. cooktop & ovens combo: I would like to have at least a 36in gas cooktop/rangetop, and two ovens (at least one of which should be electric convection for baking). Most of the 36in ranges come with only one oven, or they have two but theyÂre both too small. I would really like to be able to roast a turkey in one oven and bake a couple of pies in the other simultaneously. So, it seems like the ideal scenario is a cooktop with a double wall oven, but that takes up such a huge amount of wall space, at the expense of counters, and I canÂt figure out where to put it.

In looking at cooktops, I think I would prefer a rangetop (with the knobs on the front), because it seems that even the very high-end cooktops are not deep enough to fit two pots front-to-back. (I brought my pots into the appliance store and was astounded to find this true even on the Wolf cooktop.) But after reading some of the threads on here, it seems that a rangetop would make it impossible to put one of the wall ovens below, which was my original plan. So now IÂm a little stumped.

Dish sink: IÂm planning a large dish sink in front of a double-window that looks out over my front garden. IÂm envisioning this sink to be about 30in wide x 9.5in deep. WeÂve chosen soapstone for our counters & this sink will be an undermounted custom-made apron front sink (I think). Does that sound like a good size? Too small? My current sink is 24in wide x 7in deep and it is impossible to wash roasting pans or cookie sheets in there. I hate it. My inclination is to install a truly enormous sink for my dish-washing, but the soapstone salesman said anything deeper than 9.5in would probably be hard to work with.

Also, the windows start below the counter height where the sink will be, so I need to solve that design problem as well. I donÂt want to change the window height, because it would make the house look weird from the street, and itÂs an 1850s carriage house, so I donÂt want to mar...

Comments (10)