SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

So I had a dream...Now I must have it.

akl_vdb
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I had a dream that the neighbour put in double front doors in their front entry, and it looked amazing. We currently have 1 door with 2 sidelights.

Wondering how big of an opening I need (it's 68" total) and how it would look/function with double doors.

Because I have nothing else to think about with a half done bathroom reno, another bath reno to do, a backsplash to pick out and having a painter come and paint out our trim. But it came to me...in a dream ;)

TIA

And...any suggestions as to style? We love the natural light we get. Would need a bit of privacy too.

Pic from the front door.

Comments (51)

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I grew up in one of those old brownstones that have the double front doors with the tall pain of glass and love them. I regret that they really aren't used any longer, although I saw a new build in a town I am often in, a "McMansion" kind of town, but these people had those doors put in, when they were making their custom choices. Their doors are so beautiful. I drive by that house when I'm in that neighborhood to look at those doors.

But I always get you and aktillery mixed up. Is your house contemporary?

Double doors are also great for moving furniture in and out.

akl_vdb thanked tibbrix
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tib- aktillery just did a gorg kitchen reveal...I'm not her. We've been dealing with a kitchen insurance claim for over 2 years and have completely overhauled our 1996 honey oak/pink carpet/pink tile house. I think our house would lean more comtemporary.

I also added a pic of the view from the outside. In my housecoat. In - 41 c with the windchill.

• Related Discussions

I have had it, want to send the squirrels up the tree!

Q

Comments (4)
    I might start with something other than firearms ... I have seen motion-sensor systems that blast invaders with a stream of water. I read an interesting approach: feed 'em, don't fight 'em. Establish a feeding station JUST for squirrels away from what you wish to protect. Layout a squirrel's banquet and let them dine there instead. Sorta like the old '60s USSR policy of peaceful co-existence ... I have no experience with hot peppers. Here is a link that might be useful: Rural Life 2.0
    ...See More

I was doing so well...I had a plan...back to the drawing board

Q

Comments (10)
    The best laid plans of mice and men...it's happened to all of us, lol! I learned early on when gardening with my Mom that plans are only good on paper and never in the garden! Something always happens to change them. I have a huge diagram of my beds on graph paper, supposedly to scale, that is so far off now that I'd have to trash it and start over to make it even remotely resemble what's really out there. Color scheme, HA! Not a chance. During my rampant acquisition years that went quickly out the window. It was more, "now where the heck can I squeeze this one in?", than, "where would it look best or fit in with the colors". But you know what, it doesn't matter. I love my garden in all it's riotous jumble of colors and shapes and sizes!
    ...See More

I have had it!

Q

Comments (8)
    'Sorry about your red admiral, Sandy! It's interesting that you're noticing toads eating cats for the first time now. My pipevine swallowtail Mamas had been laying eggs on the Va. snakeroot I had growing in pots in my garden. I'd see the hatchlings, then they'd disappear. There's a big toad that's been living in there, and it finally occurred to me that he/she's eating them. So lately I've been planting the Va. snakeroots out in the new raised beds next to my new picket fence. This may also explain why the giant swallowtails wouldn't lay eggs on the ptelea I've got growing in pots while the pots were on the ground, but immediately started laying eggs on them as soon as I put them on the top shelves of some baker's racks - up there, they're out of reach of toads. So I have to agree - toads are predators, 'don't know about green frogs. Green frogs are all over my porch and don't bother the cats, but then they can't reach the cats in their cages. Sherry
    ...See More

It's not totally open yet, but so close that I had to post it anyway!

Q

Comments (24)
    I have been patiently waiting (not really!) on the other blooms to open so I could get all of them at once, but for now here is a pic of a fully opened bloom
    ...See More
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

• louislinus
    8 years ago

Now I want doors like that!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Now I'm like, can I do 8 ft doors or would it look stupid? Plus then the transom would be small. And I'd have to get a new light.

I'm not crazy about the type of door I have now. It's fine, steel door with glass. But can I do like a med dark fiberglass with glass inserts? Or wouldn't match?

Tib- I'm always out in my housecoat. My folks live across the street so the neighbours already know we're crazy.

• melle_sacto
    8 years ago

my dream home has double front door entry!

• daisychain Zn3b
    8 years ago

I think it is unanimous - you have to do it. However, if your DH asks us, we will deny culpability - it was all your idea. My DH was so thrilled when I went back to work and stopped coming up with all these "wonderful" ideas.

akl_vdb thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Daisy...my dh wants a GRAND entrance. So I think he'll be on board!

It was my idea, you guys just enable:) and help me see if my ideas are crazy or reasonable. Glad to see this is one of the reasonable ones!

Now...paramount, jeldwyn. Just another thing to add to the list!

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I suspect there is a huge conspiracy between GW/Houzz and the home improvement/design industry, Daisychain.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

akl, not only reasonable in terms of aesthetics but also in terms of practicality. Just wait 'til you have to move something big in there or out. You'll love having those double doors.

• awm03
    8 years ago

I put in full glass double doors when we remodeled in 2008 so there would be an entry for moving large furniture or appliances in and out. I love the flood of light into the foyer, but I do miss opening a single door to let air in through a screen door in summer. Guess I could still do double screens.

akl_vdb thanked awm03
  • User
    8 years ago

Jeldwen is made in Oregon and I know their windows have issues. I would post in the remodel forum, or better yet, building a home since they've discussed the pros and cons of double doors in past threads.

akl_vdb thanked User
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

i absolutely would put in a double door similar to what tibbrix posted and i think 8' with a smaller and matching transom will look great!! (it won't be cheap tho, but will be so worth it!)

akl_vdb thanked busybee3
  • lascatx
    8 years ago

I have considered the same change on our house. I decided what I was picturind wouldn't be an inprovement on the exterior, but now I am wondering whether I need to consider more door options.

akl_vdb thanked lascatx
  • Bunny
    8 years ago

I just got a new Simpson fir door with 3/4 light, just one. It's solid like a rock. I considered getting mahogany to stain (it wasn't *that* much extra), but I decided it would be more maintenance than I wanted. It's a fantastic door. The one Tib showed is a gem. With a transom (which you have room for) it would be devastatingly gorgeous.

I'm convinced that a front door can make all the difference. It's not one of those things like overspending in your kitchen. I've seen fantastic doors on the most humble abodes and it really gave them verve.

One other thing. My old door was steel and I considered getting fiberglass for my new one. Because of the clear glass (I HAD TO HAVE CLEAR) and the view into my LR, I needed to affix some window treatment at night. It's not advised to drill holes in fiberglass (then what about patching them), so I decided solid wood was for me.

akl_vdb thanked Bunny
  • Bunny
    8 years ago

Doors aren't cheap, but neither is the labor to install. It takes some finesse.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Finally! I've been trying to post this forever. Love love love this. Now that I look at it, the glass squares are similar to our existing door! Lots of light, can frost the glass...I do like having our door open as we have a storm door with a bit of a screen.

I'll show DH. Maybe when things have calmed down :) who am I kidding...I'll show him later, he'll say, ya, that's nice. And nothing will get done. Until I call up some people.

• gramarows
    8 years ago

Wow, that is just gorgeous! Now I want one. Do you think double doors opening directly into my living room will have the same effect? !!

akl_vdb thanked gramarows
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Gramarows...you never know!

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Hmmm, I have a standard 36" door with one side light I wonder if they make narrow double doors? I could do away with the single sidelight and just have doors.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

AKL, that is a beautiful entry that you just posted!

akl_vdb thanked Holly- Kay
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Glad to see I've sparked discussion and planted ideas in other's minds:)

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

I haven't seen double doors being used for several years, but have seen wider doors becoming more popular, probably with moving kept in mind. I can't recall seeing even one set in my neighborhood(subdivision),and it's been around since 2001. When we moved to CA back in 1984 they were on every other house. I like French doors w/panes used as front doors.

akl_vdb thanked patty_cakes42
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

I completely agree and I was thinking that higher doors would look good as well. I don't know if higher automatically means wider.

Right now your front entrance is narrow column, narrow window, narrow door, narrow window and narrow column. Putting in a double door would help to expand the door wall and take some of that visual narrowness away.

akl_vdb thanked blfenton
  • rockybird
    8 years ago

I have always liked these doors:

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

More traditional:

Locust Hills Drive Residence 2 · More Info

Living Room · More Info

akl_vdb thanked rockybird
  • gramarows
    8 years ago

BTW, I was kidding, but when I reread my response above, seemed like I was being serious. I sure love the elegance of the double doors, though, in the appropriate spaces!

• rockybird
    8 years ago

I missed the pics in your post above. Those look better for your house than my suggestions. I think it's a great idea and you should do it!

akl_vdb thanked rockybird
  • lisa_mocha
    8 years ago

Akl....love, love those double doors you posted too! Go for it:)!!

akl_vdb thanked lisa_mocha
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So DH also loves the doors. Will have to figure out logistics and pretend to see how opening the one door will be. And how they are in our cold winters. And see who can do a great job. And look at 6'8" doors vs 8 ft. with a smaller transom. And it's -41 C. Have I mentioned that? Maybe get a cold weather discount :)

And blfenton, totally see how the vertical narrowness would be decreased with 2 doors!

Lots to think about. Thanks all!

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Um, might want to wait 'til spring for this project. Not sure you want a big hole in a wall when it's zero out! Heating the neighborhood seems like a very kind and neighborly thing to do, but also very expensive, esp. when you're considering an expensive project as well!

akl_vdb thanked tibbrix
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tib- Apparently -41 Celcius is - 41.8 F. Cold. Yes, we'll wait. Nothing happens quickly around here! Except our son's bathroom. And that turned out to be a disaster that is being redone!

• User
    8 years ago

We have had double doors in only one previous home. Loved the look and the ease of moving furniture in and out. These doors faced north, the only issue we had, now this is going back to the 1990's is the stream of cold air coming in between the two doors, we even had frost buildup at times.

akl_vdb thanked User
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Our door faces west. We also have the overhang. But I will speak to some door people and see what they say!

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Why not go whole hog and build an entryway with two sets of double doors, a la the brownstones. Those small entryways are really great, and the two sets of doors will keep prevent any cold air from getting into the house. It looks from your pic like you have room to do one.

akl_vdb thanked tibbrix
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How about I just rip the front of the house off and build a wrap around porch? Let's settle down tib! J/k! Love the idea! Unfortunately, will not happen:(

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Ooooo, wrap-around porch! Great idea!

Lol. Fine. I thought you were loaded, with an infinite flow of funds, like I have. I guess not. Can we still speak?

akl_vdb thanked tibbrix
  • awm03
    8 years ago

Just to help visualize:

A wood or wood-look door looks great on your house, and with a matching transom would be even better.

akl_vdb thanked awm03
  • awm03
    8 years ago

Here are 8' doors (approximately; I just guessed). Maybe they look off because of the adjacent standard sized closet door?

Here are mine with the sunlight streaming in. I confess to a childlike love of the sparkles and prisms, even though the style isn't right for my house. Small delights in the dead of winter. I can imagine my grandbaby enjoying them too.

akl_vdb thanked awm03
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

Love it in the mockups!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Awm03- wow. Gorgeous! Thank you for the mock ups! This is not helping the pocketbook! So nice to see the wood look. I love it. I have a big ol' white garage door and all the trim is white. How do I get around that?

And tib- yes, we can still speak:) despite you trying to get me to spend more $$ ;)

Didn't you also try to get me to buy a 1k hubbington forge light??

• awm03
    8 years ago

Hmmm, let's check that out. Can you post a photo of your whole house? We could try some mock ups to see how it all looks. Think of this: lots of people paint their doors bright colors to make them pop. Their door color doesn't match anything else, yet people have no qualms about that. So maybe a wood door wouldn't look off with a white garage door. And here in colonial country, I can think of many homes with wood doors and white garages.

akl_vdb thanked awm03
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Or i could do the outside white and the interior a darker med stain??

Thanks awm03!

• awm03
    8 years ago

I like it. Wood tones harmonize well with your peach brick.

akl_vdb thanked awm03
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's not peach, more a sandy. Pink was popular 1995 house colour here, so I'm glad it's lighter and more sandy.

But that looks awesome!! Even though the wood is darker it still seems open.

Thank you!!

• awm03
    8 years ago

Is this more like your brick color?

akl_vdb thanked awm03
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No, more sandy, but I totally get the look. I'm looking on my phone too.

Thank you so much, looks so awesome.

The first house pic you did is more the colour than the second. I could live with that!

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Oh I love the wood look. You know what it does - it shows people where your front entrance is and guides them to it. It's where your eye goes. It high-lights the front entrance instead of the garage and shows off the columns and the stairs and the peaked roof and then the door.

akl_vdb thanked blfenton
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My dh is duly impressed!

• busybee3
    8 years ago

it will look great!!! love the wood tone- the darker color will help it stand out!

akl_vdb thanked busybee3