SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Would Like to Have Your Thoughts About My Home

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm taking Allison's advice and beginning a new thread, although some of you may already have seen pictures of the interior of my house in one or two other threads.

My challenge is to incorporate over 100 pieces of antique Chinese porcelain along with a few earthenware tomb figures and still have my house look like a home instead of an antique store or flea market. Allison had already given me some tips in an earlier thread which I've tried to implement, but there are probably more changes I could make to freshen up the look. She had suggested I move the books further down in the bookcase and move the porcelain up, but then parts of it will be invisible from several rooms and since I have shoulder problems it will also make dusting more difficult. I'm planning on replacing the wall-to-wall carpet which is still in excellent shape after 9 years but unfortunately disfigured by the constant leg-lifting of a troubled rescue dog, who has recently passed on.

I have many pictures and hope it doesn't get confusing. The first set will be of the kitchen, dining room, master bedroom, TV room and what we call the front room which has only a love seat and tall English secretary it it since it is actually the entry into the house. I'll do another section for the living room which has the most photographs. Please feel free to comment about anything and suggest improvements of any type. After living in this house for 9 years I'm probably in a bit of a rut, but at the same time there isn't really much extra money for changes since the carpeting will be our next major purchase.

Comments (45)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I somehow made a mistake and wasn't able to add the bedroom and living room pictures so I'll do that now.

Living Room (below)

• peaceofmind
    8 years ago

What happens when there is an earthquake? It looks like even a small one would result in some breakage. Sorry, I don't have any helpful advice.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked peaceofmind
  • Related Discussions

Would like your thoughts on this?

Q

Comments (2)
    I usually soak mine in a bucket of water for a couple of hours if they are like that. When I repot I always soak the pot in water for a few minutes and fill the cup.
    ...See More

What would your home look like if your spouse had to decorate?

Q

Comments (52)
    Tannantok, you're describing my DH's place when I met him! He also had a beer can collection growing on his back patio. He owned virtually no dishes (eating out of the pan was the norm). When you walked in the door you were greeted by a picture of a big haired blonde wearing suspenders and not much more. Laminated to a piece of charred wood. Given to him by his mother. Current decorating would be blankets tacked up to the windows, but he'd also have 1000 watt lights all over the place. I tell him the sun would not provide enough light for him. Clothing would adorn all the lamp shades (if he used lamp shades at all...probably adorn the curtain rods. Bathtowels would be the floor mats. Steak knives would pin up things to the walls, and EVERY wall would have something pinned to it. He'd have a ginormous sofa with blankies and his dogs. No pillows, except for what was on the floor. And every cupboard would be doorless and the drawers self closing.
    ...See More

Would you have second thoughts about buying this house?

Q

Comments (59)
    Yes. It was legal. Once the initial title search was done, which would reveal easements and clouds on the title, it would be repeated a day or so before closing. The second search would cover only the time between the last search and closing. It would only take a few moments to perform a final search by a title researcher. I had something like this happen to me once. We were selling our home. We were going to the closing that morning when we got a phone call from the closing attorney. It seemed that the neighbor behind us, an attorney, filed a lawsuit against us over a fence the day before we were scheduled to close. The title researcher found it on their last minute title check. We hadn't even been served. It took six months to straighten it out. I got the call while the moving company was loading the truck. Luckily for us, the buyers were willing to rent the house until we could get it resolved.
    ...See More

Painting the house but having second thoughts about the color...

Q

Comments (46)
    Yes I would add another fixture. to the door. I would also think about painting the garage door something other than white -- the white isn't bad, but I think that perhaps a lighter gray (same as siding, just lighter) might work better. I would also think about painting the trim around the windows black, navy, a darker gray, or the same lighter gray. Again, white is fine but I wonder if a different color would visually balance out the windows with the expanse more. Plant something under and slightly "cupping" the bay window so it is more grounded. Storm gray was a great color choice that can support all kinds of pops of color -- if you get tired of red, that is!
    ...See More
  • robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

I also think it looks really nice! If you feel the need to "update" or refresh I might be tempted to slipcover the floral love seat and replace the throw pillows. On the chairs. Personally I love the wallpaper and rug in your dining and would be tempted to pull in some of the rich colours from there into your living room - not as wall to wall carpet but as accents like pillows and rugs. That rust from the wallpaper is killer and would look great with the art in the living room.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked robo (z6a)
  • User
    8 years ago

What a lovely home you have Ingrid! I can't imagine changing anything.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
  • robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

Oh also I think some of your artwork might be hung a little high.... It should usually be about centred on eye level so 60"-64" or so on Center (for a grouping you would centre the middle of the group). This will also help your art collections look more uniform from room to room. Of course exceptions must be made over the mantel and taller pieces of furniture! It looks like a beautiful and interesting home!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked robo (z6a)
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

The last picture of the first set I would move the artwork down a little.

I don't care for vases that are on the floor but..... I also find the things that you have on the fireplace mantle and on the hearth are too small for the size of the overall fireplace. So... I would put, for ex - the vase that is on the floor of the dining room onto the hearth either by itself or added to the collection on the left side , as well as the one by the single chair in the bedroom, perhaps add it to the right side. You will bring more presence to the rest of the display.

But I thing you have a nice presentation of things that you obviously love.

So the biggest issue for me is the things on the fireplace are too small and are getting lost.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked blfenton
  • MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

If it were me, I think I would use your lovely porcelain in fewer places, but in greater masses. Big, crowded groupings that become more than the sum of the parts. I would also try to light them. And then open spaces elsewhere so the eye can rest.

I will try to look for a photo that shows what I mean.

• jesshs
    8 years ago

I really like your decorating. I agree with slipcovering the loveseat and beefing up the fireplace display; if you feel you must do something. I particularly love the table display between the two doors.

• User
    8 years ago

I see you replaced the art over fireplace with a larger piece - I like it! On the other thread I suggested moving the things on the left of mantel to the right, but not switching them. The small change you made in he kitchen grouping made a difference too.

Original Author
    8 years ago

I so appreciate your answers!

peaceofmind, the area I live in has a very low likelihood of significant earthquakes. All the ones we've experienced haven't made anything move even an inch. It's much further north of us that there are problems.

indygo and justgotabeme, thank you for the compliments. That always warms the heart.

robo and blfenton, I tend to agree about the artwork being hung too high, especially the painting in the front room. I will definitely change that one and have a look at the other ones. robo, if you look at some of the living room pictures, you'll see that four large throw pillows and the kilim pick up the colors of the dining room walls. Those, by the way, are painted and I then "decorated" with some gold leaf paint. I did the same thing in a more minor vein when I painted the walls to either side of the fireplace a warm gray. You can see the little squiggles in the picture with the white duck on the lamp table.

As you'll see below, I've tried to address your concerns about the fireplace needing larger pieces. The vase in the bedroom didn't work because it was too pale so I left what I had but put it to the other side. I moved the orange chinoiserie plate to the coffee table which improves the fireplace area I think. I also changed the painting since the French 19th century landscape somehow didn't look right there. It now looks great over the love seat in the front room. I'm not sure if I like the flower painting there, although I've had it there before. My paintings tend to wander a lot!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry, I pushed the wrong button. Am a little tired with all the moving around!

• blfenton
    8 years ago

If you can, lean the fireplace picture on the mantle. It's actually a little big for the spot and doesn't have any upper breathing space.

Have you ever put that painting above the furniture in your dining room? The reds might be wrong or may really create some drama. Maybe exchange the two.paintings.

It's really hard to tell with scrolling up and down, up and down, and trying to envision the sizes and colours. :)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked blfenton
  • emmarene9
    8 years ago

I have a few thoughts. Picture 6, if you do not love the credenza like piece of furniture, it could be replaced with something with shelves to show more of your porcelain. I am thinking of what MtnRdRedux said about a larger display. I hope she will find a picture. Picture 8, this vignette does not work for me. I love the tall vase. Forgive me if I do not use correct nomenclature. That vase might work on the hearth as I think someone else mentioned. I like the bird picture. Do you have other bird art to add to it? The painting in picture ten is hung to high. I see floral pillows with a ruffle in your front room. I suggest you donate them.

I like your collections. Are your rugs from your travels? You have a lovely home.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked emmarene9
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Wow that's a fabulous collection you have. Certainly worthwhile showing off to its best advantage. From the pictures you posted, I hate to say that I would be very uncomfortable in your house out of fear I would break something valuable. As is, it seems that every surface has something breakable. And I cringe at the thought of something accidentally happening to the pieces on the fp as they will be toast for sure...porcelain and stone do not meet suddenly, happily. I was going to suggest what mtnrd suggested as well...honor the pieces and make them more special by making them feel like a real collection and avoid the, as CL used to call it, room dandruff. But also to make the home more welcoming for guests who need not worry that an errant sneeze lead to disaster.

Because your collection is so extensive, this would mean isolating it more to fewer areas and making more display space specifically for the objects with proper lighting so they can be appreciated. Another consideration is, do you need to display it all at once? Or can you keep some favorite pieces out on display all the time, and the rest can become a rotating collection...after all, even the Louvre only displays 1/10th of what they own.

I know you won't be creating a porcelain room like Paul & Melinda Sullivan did (recently featured on "You Are Cordially Invited") for their collection, but you might get some ideas from them. Here is their porcelain room with cases specifically for the porcelain that are lit. You could do something similar with the use of tall book cases, some trim and adding rope lighting to the inside front edge.

Or another idea would be to create built-in niches into the wall. Between the studs, they are easier to create than you might think. And painting out the background a contrasting color really makes the porcelain stand out.

You've put a lot of effort into your collection, it's worthwhile to spend the time and effort to show it off to its best advantage while keeping it safe at the same time.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • tvq1
    8 years ago

Your collection is lovely! In looking at your pictures, one suggestion I'd have is to remove the dried flowers from your many beautiful vases. IMO, the dried (or fresh) arrangements take away from the beauty of the porcelain and just look "fussy".

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked tvq1
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

you have lots of beautiful pieces!

i think i prefer the flower painting over the fireplace-- it brightens and enlivens the fireplace! i would remove at least some of the small stuff on the left tho...

i agree about having fewer small collections around the house and grouping it- that's what i would do. i would also group some of the items closer together- like the things on the hearth and mantel... i also would arrange some of the small things differently- ie: i think the 2 small plates on the kitchen table takes away from the beautiful large center piece and i think there are too many small items on the secretary... takes away from the overall distant look although i'm sure each small piece is beautiful up close...

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked busybee3
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Oh my heavens Ingrid. I adore your home and what you have done with it! The porcelain is stunning and you added so much charm to your home with it. Your kitchen and dining room is TDF! Oh my gosh, I love it all. Anyway, I am no help at all because I think it is pretty near perfect.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Holly- Kay
  • Springroz
    8 years ago

^^^agree!! Change nothing. It's beautiful!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Springroz
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Beautiful, comfortable home and your collections are stunning.

I'd work on the mantel. Maybe try your 3 Chinese ladies on the left side by themselves. Agree there should be something taller, especially on the left side.

The foyer grouping (Photo #8) doesn't seem quite right either. Maybe it's time to refresh something there, especially the dried arrangement in the tallest vase. I'd also look at swapping the art work, removing the small plate from where it is and creating a small plate grouping (3 or 5) on the other foyer wall.

Consider replacing some of your printed fabric pillows with solid color pillows. If recovering the love seat is in your budget, wait until you can do that, but I saw several other pillows that looked tired and the print looked a little busy for all the other pretty things in the room.

Good luck with your mini-reno!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • bossyvossy
    8 years ago

Lovely lovely. Since pattern on vases are detailed and elaborate, solid upholstery seems better. I don't love fake flowers but a fancy dried flower arrangement would look nice. I keep an eye for natural flower arrangements that go on sale at grocery store. They really lift my spirits when I have nothing to gather from my garden.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked bossyvossy
  • bossyvossy
    8 years ago

Would be nice and lucky if you could find a needlepoint pillow like this one. I once considered getting the canvas at my fave shop but decided it was too hard. I'm always looking for such pillows,, already done, though

Original Author
    8 years ago

I've been like an insane person since last night, trying out what seem like dozens of different things. I really value the advice you've all given me, although some of it is contradictory with what allison suggested on another thread or what is being suggested here, but I'm trying out everything to see what works best. I agree the pillows are tired and I need new ones. I've also ordered a larger area rug to put under the coffee table. I'm trying for a more eclectic, less traditional look so it doesn't seem so fuddy-duddy. The paintings in the living room were all done by my husband and I hope they give a more modern vibe than what I had before. I hate the credenza in the TV room and will be looking for a new one. I'll also try to rework the foyer per some of your excellent suggestions. I'm working right now but will post some pictures later. Thanks again for all the inspiration you've provided.

• sableincal
    8 years ago

Hello Ingrid - You're back! I have often thought of you during your absence and wondered how you and your beautiful home were doing. I recall the days when you posted here, and there were lively discussions, especially about your living room and your beautiful paintings - especially the woman in the red blouse.

I have no real suggestions except to say that I too like a collection that is here and there throughout the house, like your Chinese porcelain. We have a collection of unusual animal figures, mostly made in metal or stone or wood, each one with its own provenance and I have them singly and in small groups in every room including kitchen, both baths, and laundry room. I enjoy being in any room and seeing something that makes me smile and remember a special time and place. So I understand your enjoyment of seeing your gorgeous porcelain wherever you are!

I love the still life of flowers above the mantel and think that it's perfect there. I love the tiny designs you have done on some walls. Clearly you have a natural eye for design.

Most of all, I love that duck! You would have to keep an eye on him if I were visiting.

You mentioned issues with your shoulders affecting your dusting. I have a terrible bad back and now have to have a cleaning crew (every two weeks). But for myself - I recently discovered the Campanelli Safari Microfiber Dusting Set, sold on QVC. It has changed my dusting life. It consists of several longish bendable dusters covered thickly with microfiber strands; each attaches to a lightweight pole (VERY lightweight) of various lengths. Swishing them gently across table tops, on chairs, armoire and hutch tops, ceiling fans, chandies, under the one-inch-above-the-floor dining room buffet, picks up every atom of dust, lint, cat hair, etc., and they are so light and easy to use. I don't use them around small objects, but cleaning is so much easier. Like our regular microfiber cloths, I hide them in our most-used rooms and there they are for instant use when necessary. If you do look them up on QVC be sure to watch the accompanying video, which explains everything.

And thank you for bringing back this tour of your home - am delighted to see it again!

ETA: spelling correction!

Original Author
    8 years ago

How nice of you to remember me sable - it really has been quite some time, hasn't it? I'm sorry to hear about your back,,but the dusting set you mention sounds very interesting. I really dislike dusting because bending over makes me short of breath. I will definitely look that up. Here it's mostly cat hair and spider webs like nobody's business, but of course dust also.

I'm sorry that I chose not to leave the flower picture that you like above the mantel. The pictures you see now (including the girl in the red blouse) were all painted by my husband and I wanted to have his work in the living room. I've meanwhile already switched the undersea picture of the whale to the other side of the fireplace and have the smaller picture over the secretary, and I'm done until the carpet comes in. Here is the last of about a dozen variations. I could never be an interior decorator!

Please ignore the bowl on top of the horse and rider, which I forgot to remove when I substituted a bigger one on top of the mantel.

Thank you for looking; you've all been wonderful!

Original Author
    8 years ago

For sable, the painting of the girl in the red top.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Did you husband paint the girl with the red top? I really like that picture and was going to suggest that it go on the fireplace but didn't know what to suggest to put in that then empty place.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, he did paint that one also. You can't tell from this picture, but it's too large to fit there.

Original Author
    8 years ago

emmarene and Annie, I'm so sorry, but somehow I did not see your comments. I understand what you're saying about having things scattered around on every surface and that there should be a more consolidated look. It's also true that there is a danger of breakage, although everything has held up in spite of two small dogs, a large cat and visiting children. When I replace the credenza in the TV room I want to buy something that has shelves behind glass and store quite a few pieces there. Frankly, I like having all my porcelain pieces around me all the time, and couldn't bear to rotate them. If I hadn't bought the Limoges fish set, a quite expensive purchase that I regret now, I could have used the space taken up by it in the tall secretary in the foyer to display more Chinese porcelain. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Other than freshening up some areas with new pillows and a new area rug in the living room, anything more ambitious is really not something I want to get into. Frankly, my collection is not of a quality that would merit it. You really need to be rich to have a decent collection these days, and that I'm not. However, the enjoyment I've gotten out of collecting and learning about even a part of this vast subject is priceless.

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

I love the paintings, Very much my style

• User
    8 years ago

Ingrid, you have an amazing, inspiring home! I love your collections, and especially love the fact that you decorate with your DH's wonderful paintings. You have created a warm, inviting, interesting environment. Well done indeed.

The only suggestion I would make is to perhaps consider using this rug elsewhere:

It's a wonderful piece, but too small in this space IMO. I think you need something that encompasses the full area of the sofa and loveseat. Do you have a large rug that would work here? If not, I would remove the small rug, use it elsewhere, and leave the carpet bare.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, bossyvossy, my husband will be so pleased to know that.

auntjen, thanks so much, your comments mean a lot to me. I need the critical comments, which have inspired me to change things and plan for more changes in the future, but your genuine praise warmed the heart of someone who often doubts whether she's doing the right thing, and whether someone else couldn't do a much better job.

You might have missed my statement above that I've already ordered a new 6 x 8 rug, and this kilim was just a filler because I wanted to see what more color on the floor would do to the room. I liked it very much but knew the size would never do. The new rug is a tribal one but with a most unusual, almost abstract design and I'm excited/a little scared about how it will play out. You'll have to let me know if you approve when it arrives in a few days.

• User
    8 years ago

Oh, I did miss that comment, Ingrid! (And I swear I looked to see if the rug had been addressed, but obviously it was a case of TBC - or Typing Before Caffeination. ;-)) I'm really looking forward to seeing your new rug. It sounds fab!

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I just LOVE your collection! Your initial collection of photos showcase awesomely.

In your second post (first responding post) -- I'd say, yes, get rid of the dried flowers that are in some of these images.

First of those photos - raise lion painting and decrease the number of blue china pieces. 7th photo down with the desk: there are five objects on the open surface of the desk -- I'd remove two of the smaller. Not sure about rug in image 4. I see you may be doing something about that!

Original Author
    8 years ago

auntjen, I love that phrase, TBC; am not a coffee drinker but cannot function without a diet Pepsi in the morning, same principle.

artemis, thank you for your response and your suggestions. I tried to remove the flowers from the LR coffee table but the light and life disappeared from that room for me and I had to put them back. I removed the flowers from the kitchen and the bamboo branches from the front room. You'll notice in the pictures that I took some objects off the secretary, and this is actually the way I had it for some time. Have no energy to fix the lion picture but you're right about that, and more flowers to ponder about. My husband cleaned out his stuff from the cabinet that you now see in the front room. It's an ugly thing but does fill up the space more. Will have to tweak everything, and have already ordered plate stands, plate hangers and four new pillows, in addition to the rug. I imagine the picture over the secretary in the LR might seem too small, but I think it has enough presence to hold its own. I never knew this process could be so mentally taxing and I am done with this until everything I ordered arrives. I'm beginning to hope it won't be until a month from now!

I moved a larger vase under the mirror and put the smaller (and much more expensive!) one the lamp table near the fireplace.

I put some larger bowls on the mantel but this fireplace dwarfs everything.

• User
    8 years ago

Do you have any large plates or platters that would fit on the mantel in stands? So that they are upright and the designs can be seen/enjoyed? Love that secretary! Since you have so many plates, consider using them in mass on walls - grouped around the top and sides of the art and mirror that are on either side of the french door (in photo just above). At one time, I had a collection of hand painted plates around my vanity. These were in the DR of our last house but I wanted a different look in the new house DR:

I have since replaced with antique etchings:

You're DH is very talented. How wonderful to have his paintings in your home.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Allison, that vignette is beautiful, both with plates and with the etchings, and what a perfect desk for that space. I've tried plates on the mantel and didn't like the look, and don't care for them on the wall in the living room, but I do plan to hang up some of the plates from the Limoges fish set in the front room since I have so many of them, and each one depicts a different variety of fish. I love your plates, especially against that grayish wall color. Have you featured your home here at any time? I have a feeling that I'd be green with envy. I left behind a large custom-built home with very good furniture, and most of what I have here except the living room is from my parents except for the rugs.

Just for fun I thought I'd show you what the living room looked like when we bought the house before the previous owners had removed all their possessions.

• User
    8 years ago

Thank you, Ingrid. Your FP is so large and lovely, but sometimes large makes it hard to decorate! A friend of my (Rococogurl on GW/Houzz) has fish plates by Ginori, seen here.
    I discovered GW when we were building and I was researching ranges on the internet. I've made a lot of friends and several close friends that I either email with regularly or have met in person. Roc asked to feature my kitchen on Atticmag, then asked me if I was interested in writing some posts, for fun. She later featured our home. Now and then I would do posts on something changing at my house or our youngest daughter's home. I "retired" from AM two years ago when grandchildren and elderly parents entered the picture, but I still enjoy coming to GW/Houzz to see what everyone is up to in their decorating world and beyond. I have always loved interior design and decorating, and writing for AM was a nice extension of that hobby. It's nice to have a place to come where others share that passion.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Allison, I just viewed your home and it is so spectacular, inside and out, that it makes me want to blow mine up, except then I wouldn't have a place to live. Every room has so much character and wonderful features both architecturally and in how you've furnished and decorated it. Then of course there is the wonderful setting to complete the picture. You have genuine talent and also a recognizable style that seems to say you.

I've been playing around with the fireplace mantel to an almost frustrating degree and this is the latest permutation. I like the simplicity and clean lines, although I also liked the previous iteration with my husband's painting and more porcelain pieces scattered around. I wonder which one you prefer.

Here are two outside shots. The surrounding landscape and privacy somewhat make up for the house's limitations.

• User
    8 years ago

Thank you, Ingrid. DH and I both enjoyed the building process (our first) and I love making the house our own. What fabulous roses! DD1 went to college and lived in San Francisco for 10years. She did live in So CA for a year, but I never went to visit her there (thought she would be there longer). The landscape is so different than central Alabama. I always enjoyed my time there.

I actually like the last FP picture the best. Less really is sometimes more. The only thing I would suggest is move a few pieces closer together so that they relate to each other somehow instead of lined up like soldiers. For example, pull the two vases closer to the art on top of mantel. Doubt there is room to get the larger one in front of it just a bit - the way you did the smaller vase in front of the larger one on kitchen table. I would also vary the pieces on the bottom, so they are not sitting on the hearth in a straight line, next to each other. At least they appear this way in the photo.

Tweaking takes time, but is fun!

• User
    8 years ago

Your home is so pretty. Everything looks good me. Some nice suggestions were given above.

If you're going to edit florals, I do really like them in the vase in that first photo. I also think it looks good without if you want a little change up.

Original Author
    8 years ago

If that was your first effort, Allison, it's even more impressive, and you won't need to try again. You seem very sure of what's right for you and that's a rare quality. I don't see how you could better that house; it would have to be something in a completely different style if you were to do it again.

I love gardening and my big passion is antique roses, and those are tea roses, not the modern hybrid teas but the ones bred in France and England in the 1800's. You're right, the landscape is very different from Alabama in every way, as is the weather. I like to say of any southern state that the mosquito is the national bird, and they absolutely love me. It's so dry here we have practically none. Of course the down side is the lack of water!

I'm glad you like the mantel decor because it's also my favorite. I've tweaked it and the pieces at the bottom a bit so they don't look so lined up according to your suggestions. I think I'm going to stay with this look. With so many pieces sitting around, it's good for the fireplace to act as a calm center.

• sableincal
    8 years ago

Ingrid - Like, Allison, I like the last FP arrangement the best. So glad that you returned the floral still-life. I remember your previous posting of your garden and its roses, so that painting seems fitting for star treatment! The painting that you previously tried there (your husband's?) was too dark to see clearly even when enlarged. It looked interesting - women around a table? - and seemed to want to be viewed close-up.

I wonder if there's way to place a few books on the FP, as in the very first photo. Books lend a certain tone like nothing else and fit in with every style of decor. There is just something about a few vintage, obviously well-read and loved books that expresses home and cozy like almost nothing else. But you are the only one here who is actually in your living room and knows what will work.

Are those recent pictures of your roses? We are in the same zone in CA (we are on the Monterey Peninsula). Here we have suffered mightily from the four-year drought, so are very grateful for the sporadic rainfall of the last few weeks. Never thought I would love cloudy days portending rain! If you are also having rain - finally - you and your roses must be thrilled!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked sableincal
  • patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

Wow Ingrid, you *have* been a busy little bee! It can be so exhausting when you're decorating or even moving things around looking for that exact spot. I love the white fireplace and the blue/white porcelains are a perfect accent for it~great visual appeal for sure, and the floral picture, IMO, has found jt's forever home! I have a few pieces on top of my entertaiment center, which I've had for many years also. When I packed up and left SD for Austin, I gave a lot of stuff away, but couldn't part with the blue/white porcelain. I've only been here 7 years, and was in SD 27 years, and had accumulated a lot of things, but we always have our favorites. Unfortunately those few pieces don't lend themselves to decorating more than one room, but I have toyed with the idea of purchasing a blue/cream rug, and doing a complete decorating 'overhaul'. , which would include several rooms. I've actually been on line looking at lamps in particular(yours are beautiful), but am still in the 'thinking' stages. lol I can accept big changes, like moving, but the little changes throw me for a loop. You're very lucky you have so much to work with, keeping the blue/white scattered thruout which creates uniformity bringing several areas/rooms together. Thanks to DH, you.ve accumulated a very nice collection and you're giving it a new life.

By the way, I couldn't help but wonder if you're in Mt. Helix. DD's ex BF lives on a beautiful property on a private road up there. It's one on the prettier areas in SD county. ;)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked patty_cakes42
    Original Author
    8 years ago

sable, as you'll see I followed your suggestion about adding some books to the mantel. I also hung up the picture instead of just putting it on the mantel and now I'm not sure which version I like best. My husband, who has a good eye, has been hounded so much about the decor in the last few days that he told me he was no longer able to care. He's a man, a little of this stuff goes a long way, and he's been tested beyond his limits. The roses in the garden are from at least two years ago and are from early June, after we had some rain, I think. We did have 3 inches in the last storm but nothing since, although they promised us one storm after another. I think most of El Nino is going to happen in the more northern parts and up into south Oregon. I still hope for more; the rainy season isn't over yet. You might get more than I will here. That's a really nice area where you live.

patty, I'm glad you like the flower picture back on the mantel, and I hope you'll also volunteer whether you like the picture better propped up or hung on the wall, and the area with or without books. These are important decisions! I'm with you about agonizing more about the little stuff, maybe because there are so many more ways to move small pieces around than large ones. I like your idea of a blue/cream theme, which would look very fresh and charming. Putting it all together, of course, would take some thought and work, but if it's something you're enthusiastic about it could also be a very creative, enjoyable process. If you collect blue and white porcelain that is European it is much cheaper than the Chinese stuff, which has gotten very pricey and you have to really know what's genuinely antique, because there are tons of fakes around nowadays.

Mt. Helix is in west San Diego county whereas we're in northeast San Diego county, in a rather rural area, which we love. Mt. Helix is a very beautiful area to live in but I work nearby so this was the logical spot for us.