Doing it in the kitchen!
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (30)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Where do you do your WSing,kitchen,garage?
Comments (70)I mix up a tall plastic bucket of potting mix in the kitchen--garage is way too cold and the bale of mix was frozen solid by the time the solstice rolled around. I mixed 8 quarts of potting mix with one quart of MG since I bought the MG and had to use it up somehow. I use a soldering iron to poke holes--using a knife took too long and I wanted plenty of nice big drainage holes. I hate the smell but it does the job. Like others, I cut around the jug with scissors, leaving an inch or so for the hinge. Fill bottom portion with potting mix and moisten with half an empty sour cream container of water. After the first 25 or so jugs I found that moistened the soil just enough so a little drained out the bottom. Sow seeds thinly if possible. I know I sowed too many, being a newbie. I covered with just a little more of the dry potting mix for larger seeds. For the really tiny seeds I sprinkled some grit over the top of the mix. Bought the grit at the feed/seed store. A little goes a long way. I write labels with paint pen before sowing seeds or while the mix is absorbing water. Label goes in the jug on an angle so I can see it inside through the top. Tape the top and bottom together with 6" piece of duct tape opposite the handle. I fold over one corner of the duct tape for easier removal later. I didn't write the names on the bottoms of the jugs and hope I don't regret that later. Like Dee I work up about 6-8 jugs at a time. Once they're done I set them in aluminum cookie sheets until the sheet is full, then I carry them outside and set them in the container ghetto on my breezeway. The breezeway runs west to east so they're in shade but open to the snow/rain etc. My original goal was to WS 12 containers. I WSd my 200th container yesterday. Thanks to the nice people on this forum, I ended up with enough seeds to sow a lot more. My neighbor gleefully brings me a truck load of milk jugs from the recycling bin at the dump every week. The cats don't seem interested in the process and haven't even tried to climb inside the bale of potting mix. I do spill a little on the floor but so far it hasn't been too messy of a project. It's great having something of a gardening nature to do during the cold months. I use my computer to keep a log of how many jugs per day and what seeds. I also keep a list of the seeds I sowed and how many containers of each. I like the milk jugs better than the 2 liter bottles because they aren't apt to blow over when the wind howls through the breezeway. A few of the 2 liter bottles got blown over so now I've got them all surrounded with WS milk jugs. It's gonna be a busy Spring!!...See MoreWhy do ppl do stupid stuff to kitchens for resale?
Comments (40)After looking at quite a few houses for sale a few years ago, we decided to buy a brand new house. The houses we had looked at for sale either had dumb stuff done to them, or the owners just really didn't care, both of which were a big turn off for us. So we went for the new build. We needed to get a good price for our old house(built approx 1987), so we took about 4 months (while the new one was being built)and really looked at what needed to be done to help it sell. At the time, the market was relatively hot, so the better your product, the more likely you were to sell. It was in relatively good shape, but did need some work. We basically did things that we would have done anyway if we were going to stay there. We had it re-piped (the older houses around here are notorious for defective/degrading steel pipe). This was our biggest expense, approx $5K. We would have had to disclose it to the buyer and either lower the price or offer an allowance for it, so we figured that having it already done would be a selling point. We finished repairing and repainting the walls that were damaged in an earthquake. We tiled the floors in the kitchen and one of the bathrooms that had horrible ugly vinyl with a nice, light neutral ceramic tile (great buy on discontinued item). We repaired/replaced anything functional that needed it, front porch roof, side garage door, hanging light fixture, etc. We also cleaned everything, put excess items in storage, and had someone come in to cut back/clean up the landscaping. It took more than a weekend to fix it up, and we spent a little money, but I think the results were worth it. The first people who looked at it bought it for the asking price. We had two realtors call and ask to look at it because they had similar houses in the neighborhood that weren't selling and wanted to find out why ours had sold. There were plenty of other things we could have done, but I think we did a good job of picking those that helped the house sell, actually improved the property, and didn't take a horrendous amount of time or money to accomplish....See MoreWhere do you keep your kitchen towels, all ye in modern kitchens?
Comments (27)One towel (for drying hands) hangs on my sink front. Not visible from our family room, as the island hides it. The hanger is a self stick V-shaped "hook" (no hanging loop necessary). I didn't want to take the risk for the adhesive to mar the high gloss front over time, so I pressed a (non adhesive) removable vinyl piece on the front, and pressed the holder on that. My dish towels live in my Lazy Susan corner cab which is next to my sink cabinet. I chose the Ikea Lazy Susan over the corner pull-out specifically for the 5" of "wasted" space between the rotating shelf and the cab sides. So on the sink side I've installed a telescoping towel bar that holds 4 towels easily. I think the same bars that sjhockeyfan above installed in her dedicated towel cab. I'm really glad that for reaching the towels, we only need to open half of the double-hinged door. As opening and closing both of the hinged doors is a bit more awkward. But 90% of the time the door gets opened for access to the towels. So no problem. No problem with the towels staying wet either. Corner cabs are huge and Ikea cabs are not at airtight. The towels dry quickly. Peeps heere on GW typically don't like Lazy Susan cabs and recommend against them. I love mine. It's perfect for storing small appliances, and what other cab offers two 5"x 30" vertical storage spaces? On the other side of the Susan shelf we keep an oversized tray and a huge over-the-counter/sink cutting board. Plus I keep a foldable stepstool and some other odd stuff underneath the bottom rotating shelf. My Lazy Susan cab should be called "Efficient Susan". She works really hard for us :-)...See MoreHelp!!! What do I do with this kitchen?
Comments (22)I think a rug is a trip hazard and unless you really don't cook, it will get dirty. With the right size island/cart you won't need it. The peacock feather arrangement has to go - no one wants feathers in their food and that's the first thing that comes to mind. As for tile behind the stove and hood, I think that beam or duct or whatever it is at the ceiling will interfere with going all the way up. Consider bringing tile around to the window at the same height as it is under the cabinets. Then at the stove take it up to the bottom of the hood....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
Related Stories

MOST POPULARHow Much Room Do You Need for a Kitchen Island?
Installing an island can enhance your kitchen in many ways, and with good planning, even smaller kitchens can benefit
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNWhat to Do if Your Kitchen Is Simply Too White for You
Does your all-white kitchen have you craving a little color? Here are some ways to introduce it
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Kitchen Touches Anyone Can Do
Take your kitchen up a notch even if it will never reach top-of-the-line, with these cheap and easy decorating ideas
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGAnother Independence Day: When Kids Can Do Their Laundry
Set yourself free and give your child a valuable life skill at the same time
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESCalifornia Gardener: What to Do in July
Active green thumb or not, top priorities for peak fruit and veggie season: watering, feeding, keeping up with growth
Full Story
LAUNDRY ROOMSThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Laundry Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make fluffing and folding more enjoyable by borrowing these ideas from beautifully designed laundry rooms
Full Story
WORKING WITH AN ARCHITECTWho Needs 3D Design? 5 Reasons You Do
Whether you're remodeling or building new, 3D renderings can help you save money and get exactly what you want on your home project
Full Story
MORE ROOMSWhat Would You Do With an Extra Room?
Be a rock star, a crafting star, a movie mogul. But whatever you'd choose for your spare room, don't let reality stop you
Full Story
MUDROOMSThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Mudroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make a utilitarian mudroom snazzier and better organized with these cheap and easy ideas
Full Story
CLOSETSThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Closet Touches Anyone Can Do
These easy and inexpensive moves for more space and better organization are right in fashion
Full Story
wildchild2x2