Anyone watching the Golden Globes tonight?
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (13)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
If anyone's here, need your positive thoughts for my golden girl
Comments (63)Sorry to hear Chammi's having a tough time recuperating. Red Bank is excellent. My sister has used Red Bank for chemo for her late pug and was very pleased with them. We usually use Garden State Veterinary in Tinton Falls- our vet has a good working relationship with them. Spencer the chocolate lab and Katie the shepherd mutt are sending doggy tail wags for luck - and we've all got our fingers and toes crossed- lots of energy flowing here for Chammi. Helene (always glad to find more than one - we Helenes know how hard it is to get our name pronounced correctly- but that's material for another thread!)...See MoreAnyone watch AGT last night?
Comments (22)I had to go to the AGT website to read Grace's 'story', as I didn't remember hearing or seeing it at all. Apparently she's quite the musical prodigy. But perhaps she would come across a little better when she gets a little older and her voice has a chance to develop more. I always try to imagine myself in one of the judges' seats (yes, pompous, I know), and 'judge' by the quality of the performance, not by my personal likes or dislikes. That's harder to do then one would think! My personal tastes always win out! And that's why I wasn't bothered in the least by the 'glitzy suit' performer being sent home. The background stories are influential, too, Although sometimes I think they dramatize and overplay the sob stories more than they should. But you can't help but admire someone who's pulled themselves up by their boot straps, and is doing their best to have a positive influence on life. They deserve the chance. The talent on this show seems to get better every year! I'd be willing to bet a dollar to a hole in a donut that a number of the contestants will be discovered and move on to bigger and better things, regardless of how they finish up here. Rusty...See MoreAnyone Watch Speechless?
Comments (16)I caught HBO's Divorce with Sarah Jessica Parker this evening. Once I caught on to the fact that it was supposed to be funny at times (Molly Shannon tipped me off), I kinda liked it. But not enough to commit to turning in on a weekly basis. Like Speechless... both are shows I might binge-watch someday during a snowstorm or when I'm down with the flu. But nothing more. Mimipadv, I have to have my kids show me how to use our Netflix because I caught a few episodes of Shameless a few months ago during a free access weekend on Showtime (we are not otherwise subscribers). I really enjoyed the episodes I watched--truly flawed characters but the storyline and the acting was so well-done. One of the episodes was with William Macy's character's mother--Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest--she was fabulous!...See MoreYour opinion: meryll streeps speech at the Golden Globes tonight
Comments (137)Yes - I also thought that 'open letter' (that someone posted in full further up the thread, I think - the link in DrewM's post above didn't work when I tried it) was either extremely self-centred, or the author was ignorant of the purpose of an awards ceremony and mistakenly thought it was just another show put on solely for public entertainment. In fact it's a professional/industry awards night for showbiz people along with the Press, who sponsor the event. The high level of public interest is the only reason they now broadcast it, so the public can get to see what goes on, and no doubt the sponsors get a nice bit of revenue from it. But even though some adaptations are naturally made to cater for the TV cameras and the wider audience, viewers should not expect or demand that the whole, essentially private event be repurposed into something it's not. Recipients of lifetime achievement awards are generally given a bit more time and leeway to say whatever they like in their acceptance speeches than are other lesser award winners, in keeping with it being the highest honour of the night. If one such honoured recipient chooses to use their speech to draw attention to a recent notorious and very unwelcome performance from a different kind of actor, and to appeal to the Press to continue to do their job despite the current campaign of intimidation/attempted suppression against them, to vigorously defend the rights and dignity of those many professionals in the industry who would fall into the unwanted/ scapegoated groups the PE has chosen to stir up and magnify a dark seam of xenophobic anger and hate against - that is a somewhat unusual, but topical and entirely industry-relevant use of that platform. As VedaB said, if members of the general public happen to find this not entertaining enough and/or offensive in some way and/or don't understand its relevance, that's fine - it's not their industry's awards night anyway, and they don't have to watch!...See More- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

FUN HOUZZGolden Globes: 6 Design Ideas From ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’
Nominated for a handful of big awards, the film is a visual feast that just might inspire your own adventurous interior
Full Story
PHOTO FLIP144 Gorgeous Homes Around the Globe
Feast your eyes on some of the hottest home designs from around the world
Full Story
BUDGET DECORATINGPop Culture Watch: Get a Good Rap With Thrift Store Scores
Eight rooms that rock secondhand finds, in an ideabook inspired by rappers taking YouTube by storm
Full Story
FUN HOUZZ15 Cool Rooms and the TV Shows They Want You to Watch
Get nestled in with the fall 2014 premieres, some old favorite shows and a coordinating nosh
Full Story
MOST POPULARThe Perfect Houseplant for People Who Kill Houseplants
If you can fill a jar with water, you can keep golden pothos vine happy — and it will pay you back with cleaner air and a greener home
Full Story
PETSWorld of Design: Pampered Pets and Their 10 One-of-a-Kind Homes
Fall in love with these critters and their clever living spaces, from a cat playground in France to a chicken house in the U.S.
Full Story
ACCESSORIESCollective Wisdom: Display Ideas for Collections of All Kinds
Show your interests without exposing clutter by going for artful arrangements with a unified feel
Full Story
COMMUNITYTogetherness Take 2: Is a Cohousing Community for You?
Missing that sense of connection? Consider the new breed of neighborhood with a communal bent
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Bright and Airy Updates in a California Fixer-Upper
An Australian family tackles an unloved Cape Cod–style house, turning it into an inviting home that reflects their history and travels
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESWhich Rooms Get the Oscar?
On the eve of Hollywood’s night of nights, we bring you top films from the past year and their interior twins
Full Story
plllog