SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

Dbl-height stairway light & window seat questions

smalloldhouse_gw
8 years ago

Two questions in the never-ending spillover of renovating our small kitchen 18 months ago!

Since the kitchen, we've replaced the living sofas, rug, and coffee table. New lighting is still to be installed, a few other changes too. I desperately need to order a new window seat cushion, but am having trouble picking a fabric. I've got about 50 different Sunbrella samples (kids live here) and more on order. I would like to go with something other than the beige that's there; it hasn't held up well. But I'm having trouble getting the right colors to work with the pinkish-rust rug and the silver-brown sofas. So far Sunbrella browns are too brown and the rusts are too orange. Plus I can't decide whether I should aim for a pattern or not. Any advice?

Secondly, we have left intact the 1980s light that shines over our somewhat pointless tall stairwell (pointless since it's a small house, not sure what the previous owners were going for when they expanded the upstairs this way.)

The light serves its purpose, including as a target for my kids to throw socks at (slightly evident in this photo along with a paint sample.) But I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for a replacement, especially since we have the electrician coming soon. But I don't know how to size it?? For context the small landing is 3ft x 3ft. Is this light, which I adore, too big at 24" x 41"?

Comments (5)