SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sds333

GE RightHeight Washer & Dryer - Our Experience

sds333
8 years ago

Hello. I came to search the laundry forum to see if anyone had a similar experience with their RightHeights before deciding whether to have a new one sent (again) or replace them with another brand. I read some similar experiences, but all of the information was from 2012-2014 so I thought I would post so that people could also have an update from 2016 if they were interested.

We purchased our set in August 2015 from our local appliance shop. We were replacing an 8 year old LG front loader that had flooded our house. Twice. We're slow learners.
From the beginning the washer made a lot of noise, banging, long wash times, etc. etc. It turns out that the washer had never been built correctly - the wash tub wasn't even properly hooked up. It was only attached to the washer body in 3 out of 4 places. There were other problems, but that was the biggest.

A new washer was finally sent out, but it took forever. In the meantime we had to use a washer that sounded like a jackhammer and didn't clean the clothes very well, not to mention how long each load took.

The new machine was installed in November. This one seemed much better. For a while. Now, less than two months later, we had to call GE to have a repairman out because the wash times were increasing, it was getting noisy, it wasn't cleaning well, it wasn't spinning enough water out, the bleach compartment would be filled completely with water after each load.

That was the easy part, he came the next day. However, this washer has a defective tub that has been leaking. The tub needs to be replaced as well as the motor. In a two month old washer.
(Just as an FYI, we also have a GE Cafe French Door Refrigerator that is 13 months old that has been repaired twice.)

To top all of this off GE, in their valiant efforts to cut costs and pass on headache to its customers, no longer has service centers. Repairman work from their homes, which means that they do not stop by a service center to pick up the parts for your appliance. These parts are shipped directly to your house. This means that a huge, heavy box containing a washer drum is being shipped to my house. There is no way for me to handle that box, not to mention the three other boxes they are shipping. I can't lift it, and there is nowhere to store them in my house. And if I'm not home these boxes will, I'm sure, be left on the front step blocking the front door...

Anyway, rereading this lost I have realized that of course we are not going to try a third washer. That would be madness. Someone had recommended a Whirlpool Cabriolet, I think I will look into that one.
I know this was a long post, but I hope it has been helpful to someone as this forum has been very helpful to me in the past.
Ps. I would be very interested to hear anyone else's experience with these units.

Comments (3)