SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_mcgowan69

El Nino advice?

Hi, I'm relatively new to succulents, but so far everything's done great: Mix of echevarias, graptopelatum, kalanchoes, a couple nice aloes...nothing too fancy or fussy, but the last 2 winters have been bone-dry and this one is...definitely not!

I'm worried about rot, given the typical El Nino pattern of one storm after another with no time to dry out in between.
All plants are in pots (potted in very well-draining cactus/crushed granite/perlite mixes of various combinations), so I can bring them inside as needed, but it's a hassle--some of the pots are quite large. Also, there's no good window space for them in my apt, so they don't get much light. I don't have the space to set up a grow-light situation.

This week, we're having 5-6 days of rain here in the SF bay area with not much breaks, so I brought a bunch of them inside to dry out a little bit....how long can I safely leave them in my dark, warm, dry apartment? Is 5 days too long, or will they just shut down and wait until they get some light again? Is there a better method? I have no eaves or other places outside to shelter them from the rain--if I left them outside, I'd have to cover them with tarps or something like that.

Any of you more experienced folks have suggestions?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus