When do you take down your Christmas tree?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (36)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
Related Discussions
who wants to help me take down the christmas tree?
Comments (13)I think anyone who is able to survive working in a UPS shipping hub during the holiday season is entitled to leave their tree up however long they need to. (Frankly, I'm surprised the spectre of PTSD didn't prevent you from putting up a tree at all! But this is your first year...) My neighbors have a plan for leaving their Christmas lights up all winter. They sting mostly white lights, and then add separate strands of all red and all green. They have lit wreaths on their windows from about Thanksgiving to Epiphany... then they put lit hearts on their windows, and only use the red and white lights for another month or so... then they put lit shamrocks in the windows and stick with green and white for about a month. Theoretically, this is lots of work, but they are only changing out the indoor componants during the cold months... For your sake, I hope the tree in question is artificial!...See MoreWhen will you take your feeders down?
Comments (15)So, yea, I plan on keeping my hummers fresh with nectar thru November. I would love to see another species. I have only observed Ruby Throats. It would such a thrill to have visitors thru November! Nana, I think I mentioned earlier this year that here in Baton Rouge you can leave your feeders up year round. I live near LSU and we've been hosting winter hummers for the past 10 years. The winter birds are arriving now. I saw the first adult male Rufous at one of the feeders the other day. They stick around until February ... about the same time the Ruby-throateds return....See MoreWhen do you put up your Christmas lights?
Comments (30)This has never been a problem for us. Last year was the first year we had ANY outdoor decorations. I never understand how people have time for that sort of thing  No kids? No jobs? No kids and no job? Kind grandparents to watch the kids? Lots of money to pay someone else to do it? Last year we (I) bought wreaths to hang on the windows and a few strands of lights for the front walkway. Taking the decorations down in a timely manner wasnÂt a problem. One by one all the wreaths fell off. By Christmas Day, I think we had ONE left. (Of course that one had to be pried off!) Apparently the command hooks that I bought werenÂt strong enough for the wreaths. IÂll have to regroup this year. Taking down the strands of lights took a little more effort, mainly because while removing the lights I found BAGWORMS on my weeping Japanese maple! So after removing the lights, I stood out in the cold with a pair of hand pruners and a plastic bag and meticulously snipped every last blankety-blank bagworm off my tree! I hope no-one throws stale candy canes at me, because I'm sure I didn't take down the globe lights until mid-January. We put up the decorations when we can, and we take them down when we can. Sometimes they are never put up. (We've had at least one Christmas with no tree.) Sometimes they are slow to come down. (One year my tree stayed up until March hence the reason I didn't put it back up the next year. I managed to put the tree UP during my maternity leave then couldn't figure out how to get it DOWN while working full-time with a newborn.) We have no set schedule or rules. We usually travel to be with family on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Spending time with family trumps decorating (or undecorating) any day. Nin...See MoreWhen do you take your Christmas decor down?
Comments (52)Re housecleaners--that was another motivation for me to at least get my tree down last week; I did it the day before the incredibly efficient person who cleans for me came so she could really get everything scrubbed and vacuumed up :). And about lights-after many years of carefully winding them around cardboard or storing in bags, and then taking them out the next year and trying to find strings that didn't have burnt bulbs and/ weren't twisted up....I am living the truly decadent lifestyle of buying several boxes of the 300-light strings from Home Depot, putting them on the tree and then THROWING THEM OUT. It makes me feel sorta guilty but mostly delighted to know that next year I will just spend another $10 and not have to worry or fuss with lights! I finally got all my holiday decorations down, boxed and back in the garage loft on Monday. I use only red or green plastic bins that seal tightly, the color so they are easily identifiable and sealed so no critters or dust can get in. Each box is numbered and I long ago created a corresponding list of the box numbers with the contents of each in detail. I sometimes make a few changes in content so I update the printed list each year and one copy goes in the loft with the supplies, the other stays on my desk. Each year when it's time to decorate I know exactly which boxes have what, which makes it super easy to unload and unpack when I get ready to decorate. It sounds more complicated than it really is I suppose--was a bit of a chore to set up but has saved untold hours of aggravation over the years and makes the holiday effort a lot easier. Controlling type A personality? Nah, not me.......lol...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

CONTRACTOR TIPSBuilding Permits: When a Permit Is Required and When It's Not
In this article, the first in a series exploring permit processes and requirements, learn why and when you might need one
Full Story
MOST POPULARA Magical Tree House Lights Up for Christmas
From the Most Popular file: An incredible tree house takes things up a notch for the holidays. See how it came to be
Full Story
CHRISTMAS TREESGuest Picks: Christmas Tree Skirts for Every Style
Let's not skirt the issue: Christmas trees look more polished when the base is dressed
Full Story
Guest Picks: Quirky Christmas Trees
Take a break from the traditional tannenbaum and opt instead for one of these Christmas tree originals
Full Story
TREESHow to Protect Your Trees When You’re Remodeling or Building
Will your home be undergoing construction this year? Be sure to safeguard your landscape’s valuable trees
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESWhen and How to Plant a Tree, and Why You Should
Trees add beauty while benefiting the environment. Learn the right way to plant one
Full Story
MOST POPULARWhen Does a House Become a Home?
Getting settled can take more than arranging all your stuff. Discover how to make a real connection with where you live
Full Story
HOLIDAYSChristmas Tree Decorating the Painless Way
Holidays are for carols, not cussing. Make tree trimming less work and more fun with this guide at your side
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHoliday Decorating: Natural Looks From Down Under
Native greens and craftsy touches give an Australian stylist's home festive flair with an organic feel
Full Story
ENTERTAININGHow to Stay Calm When Hosting Christmas
Consider a dozen tips for getting organizing and enjoying the big day
Full Story
Suzieque